Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

HELP! Just trying to figure this out...confusing...
HELP! Just trying to figure this out...confusing...
Hi,
Been lurking for a little while and like the information that can be found here. Figured it would be time for my first post/question...

Been on CPAP going on 2 months now and I have my good days and bad days with it. Some days I feel GREAT, others not so much (tired and feel rundown). I chalk this up to adjustment so no biggie there. My question is the whole leak issue and some help interpreting my daily results. Here's an example...

My 8/27 results are as follows: Median=0 95%=4.8 and Max=7.2

now, I assume that is VERY good as far as leaks are concerned BUT, check out my results for 8/24

Median=0 95%=4.8 and Max=140.4 ?!?!?!?

Now, I have had situations in the past where I removed my mask during sleep and let it hang while running OR disconnected the hose from my mask to scratch my nose and fell back to sleep without reconnecting it just to let the hose hang while running. Would this be the cause of having a high Max number? What else could possibly cause that number to be that high? Opinions?

I did have some previous mask issues and finally settled on the Quattro Air which has seemed to work pretty well for me.

Thanks in advance for any help that is offered!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: HELP! Just trying to figure this out...confusing...
WaltherP99, welcome, your leaks for 8/27 are good, the answer is yes, you should turn the machine off and restart it rather than leave it running, you should see on the leak graph a huge spike for that period of time you have removed it while it is running then it should drop down again. Are you using Sleepyhead or ResScan software to check you data.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, the mask being off will definitely run the Max leak number sky high...99.9% sure that is what happened.

Median Leak and 95% Leak (Leaks at or below 95% of the time) are the important stats there, and they look really good!

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-27-2013, 08:56 PM)Tez62 Wrote: WaltherP99, welcome, your leaks for 8/27 are good, the answer is yes, you should turn the machine off and restart it rather than leave it running, you should see on the leak graph a huge spike for that period of time you have removed it while it is running then it should drop down again. Are you using Sleepyhead or ResScan software to check you data.

I'm actually using both. Just downloaded sleepyhead tonight to check it out. I think I might just stick with ResScan though cause the info between the two isn't close. Sleepyhead isn't showing the leaks like ResScan is. Also, the 8/24 spike isn't showing on the graph??? I had a 133.2 max spike on 8/15 for about 5 seconds that is showing on the graph and statistics. That was probably an itchy nose.

As for shutting it down when removing...I try to do that but sometimes I remove the mask in my sleep and find out a short time later when I hear the air blowing! LOL! Another thing I believe I do is pull the mask away from my face to scratch my nose while 1/2 asleep (8/15 spike above).

Maybe I should be asking if an itchy nose could be a result of CPAP! LOL

(08-27-2013, 08:58 PM)jgjones1972 Wrote: Yes, the mask being off will definitely run the Max leak number sky high...99.9% sure that is what happened.

Median Leak and 95% Leak (Leaks at or below 95% of the time) are the important stats there, and they look really good!

Good deal

Thanks for the help guys. Just trying to make sure that I benefit as much as possible from this.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi WaltherP99,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Great advice so far.
just keep on going it takes a while to adjust but it'll get better.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and best of luck to you with CPAP therapy,
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
WaltherP99, just on the itchy nose, I think most of us get that if we use a nasal mask or like you and I a full face mask, you do get used to it over time and only have to scratch the real itchy ones. A couple os suggestions, wash your face just before you go to bed and maybe give it a scratch just before you put the mask on, it may help. This isn't to do with the itchy nose but with a full face mask, I use mask liners to stop the rubbing between the silicone and your face. I make my own which are much cheaper than buying them, can give you the instructions if you want.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-27-2013, 11:15 PM)Tez62 Wrote: WaltherP99, just on the itchy nose, I think most of us get that if we use a nasal mask or like you and I a full face mask, you do get used to it over time and only have to scratch the real itchy ones. A couple os suggestions, wash your face just before you go to bed and maybe give it a scratch just before you put the mask on, it may help. This isn't to do with the itchy nose but with a full face mask, I use mask liners to stop the rubbing between the silicone and your face. I make my own which are much cheaper than buying them, can give you the instructions if you want.

Would be interested in your mask liner instructions if you wouldn't mind passing them along.

Post Reply Post Reply
WaltherP99, I bought some Remzzz’s mask liners a 6 pack and although they say to only use them once you can wash them and get about 5-6 uses. I then made a template of what I needed from their liners and went to a fabric shop and got 3 ft of 50% cotton / 50% poly fabric and cut out my own and they also last 5-6 uses, the next time I bought 3 ft of 50% cotton / 50% lycra fabric. That last me about 3 months and costs about ten dollars. No need to do any sewing.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Can Anyone Help me figure out what this is? jmperez1013 1 160 03-11-2024, 08:11 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Sudden onset of desats - can't figure out why MCS2014 7 331 02-26-2024, 08:25 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,361 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  Help me figure out what I have? neopeius 0 258 09-19-2023, 02:56 PM
Last Post: neopeius
  [Equipment] Help me figure out Resmed P10 problem rebean 4 539 06-25-2023, 08:18 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [CPAP] Hoping to figure out what is going wrong...Please help! (Data provided) Hopingforachange 0 332 06-01-2023, 05:29 AM
Last Post: Hopingforachange
Sad Can't figure out what's wrong with me. Sleepyroshi 1 463 01-08-2023, 03:32 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.