Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

HELP! Mask keeps coming off...NEW CPAP user
HELP! Mask keeps coming off...NEW CPAP user
I have now been on my CPAP, with full face-mask and pressure settings of 4 to 20, for 8 days, and I have only had 1 decent night with any kind of sleep...the second night I lasted 4 hours! Ever since then, I am lucky if I get 90 minutes to 2 hours of therepy a night due to my constant taring off of my full face mask in my sleep. I dont even know I am doing it...I wake up from an apnea and find it there on the floor. I will say that as long as it is on, I dont suffer from lack of oxygen or sit up in my sleep at all, so I am seeing it has worked somewhat, but I am dying here...To make matters worse I have Centralized Apnea, where my brain just shuts off my breathing while I sleep, and it is damagin my already bad heart...I was diagnosed with CHF 4 years ago and I am only 34 now...some have told me that this could have brought on the CHF as well, but I am not sure...is there anything I can do to adjust? I found I was a little claustraphobic at first with the mask, but I have since figured out how to sleep with it...I get comfy in bed and as soon as I am ready for sleep I put it on, and I am asleep in no time, and my machine ramps up the air as I sleep...I really need this to work because I am getting weaker so often...what can I do?

Frustrated in Indiana, Smile

Gran
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: HELP! Mask keeps coming off...NEW CPAP user
To find out what machine you have, look at the top of the machine. xPAP makers are so very proud of their machines so they put their name right on top. If, for some reason, it is not, you can look at the label that is on the back or bottom of the machine. Empty or take out the humidifier tank before you turn it over, though! (been there, done that) Usually near the manufacturer's name will be the model name.

Once you have the maker, you can go here to identify it. http://www.apneaboard.com/cpap-machine-p...ur-machine

Taking off the mask in your sleep is common. The only thing I can think of is to use the mask during the day. This will help you (and your body) get used to it. Wear it while watching television or reading or whatever.

Another thing might be to attach the hose to your shirt or pillow. If you take it off, it won't go far and the blowing air sound and feel will wake you.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome Welcome to the forum Granman Big Grin

Over the years you wouldnt believe how many times this complaint comes up. Time and time again but as you are new to this you think your different, not at all your as normal as the next sufferer. Most have been through this and at first you cant explain it, I know I spent months going through "Launch Control" (Throwing my mask off) I even threw my machine due to the hose wrapped round my neck. Its all as common as sores on the face, sore eyes dew to leaks, bloating. its all part and pacel of cpap so please dont worry one bit. As your body starts to except the mask you will find that the odd day you will go all night and it will get better as time goes on. Smile your in safe hands Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
Granman...just a comment here. Could you enlighten us a little more about your history of sleep apnea, when you last saw a sleep MD, and what is your prescribed pressure? The 4 to 20 is the whole capable range of the machine. Did the sleep Doc prescribe those settings? With only 8 days of usage under your belt, and the pressure starting at 4 and then raising "perhaps" to 20, its no wonder you are ripping off the mask. I think you are ripping off the mask as the pressure mounts because of your newness to CPAP therapy and little tolerance to such a high pressure. This is common to new users of APAP devices as the pressure rises.
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
JudgeMental, I have had this problem for some time, I believe, and it is central apnea from what they tell me. the 4 to 20 is what the doctor prescribed, and I also think it is from the amount of air in my face at such a high pressure...it seems like a but much I think to me...they tried a bi-pap at one point in the sleep test but I woke up drowning in air...hated it...I feel like my body is rejecting this and all I really want is one decent nights sleep...it is killing me...any tips are appreciated. I am going back tomorrow night for the month follow up and I have a ton of questions I think I need to ask. I thought if I could at least get to sleep the battle would be over...That is the easy part now, just getting to sleep...
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have central apnea, then you probably have a VPAP machine. I have no clue how those things are set. I didn't think they used APAPs to treat sleep apnea this is predominantly central apnea, do they? Maybe they are using it as an in-home titration? Do they want you to bring in the data card or the machine?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Granman
What machine do you use? some are data capable with efficacy data (breakdown of AHI , leak, pressure...)
Not sure why the machine pressure range set in the default setup 4-20 . If you fit the mask at the lower pressure and as the pressure ramp up it would leak so it,s important to fit the mask at your titrated pressure to maintain the seal and able to keep the mask all night.
Read through the wiki tips may help
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...CPAP_users
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-12-2012, 10:20 AM)Granman Wrote: I have now been on my CPAP, with full face-mask and pressure settings of 4 to 20, for 8 days, and I have only had 1 decent night with any kind of sleep...the second night I lasted 4 hours! Ever since then, I am lucky if I get 90 minutes to 2 hours of therepy a night due to my constant taring off of my full face mask in my sleep. I dont even know I am doing it...I wake up from an apnea and find it there on the floor. I will say that as long as it is on, I dont suffer from lack of oxygen or sit up in my sleep at all, so I am seeing it has worked somewhat, but I am dying here...To make matters worse I have Centralized Apnea, where my brain just shuts off my breathing while I sleep, and it is damagin my already bad heart...I was diagnosed with CHF 4 years ago and I am only 34 now...some have told me that this could have brought on the CHF as well, but I am not sure...is there anything I can do to adjust? I found I was a little claustraphobic at first with the mask, but I have since figured out how to sleep with it...I get comfy in bed and as soon as I am ready for sleep I put it on, and I am asleep in no time, and my machine ramps up the air as I sleep...I really need this to work because I am getting weaker so often...what can I do?

Frustrated in Indiana, Smile

Gran

My mask kept slipping and my chin strap would not stay on. I purchased a Doorag with velcro straps (surgeons cap would work). My mask straps stopped sliding and my chin strap stayed on and the cloth barrier between my head and strap took any discomfort away. Check the PAPcap on line; it is somewhat similiar to what I've been using for years.
Post Reply Post Reply
I found a product that helped me keep the full mask on my face. It is a strap that hooks to the tube connector on the bottom of my mask and velcros behind my head. It is the bees knees.

I'm leery of posting a product endorsement (I'm new) but drop me a PM and I'll give you a link. Best $20 I ever spent.

Full disclosure... my mask works best when it is cranked down against my face. This isn't what works for everyone. If you need the "loose fit" where the bellows makes the seal and your pressure is low enough that it actually works, this strap is not for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
You must have your machine set to quietly turn off when you take off the mask

Nononono!!

Have it stay on and make a noisy air blasting ruckus so you'll get up and A. remember that you screwed up or B.
dust it off and put the thing back on again.

Work on those leaks, hose routing and cleaning before wearing.
A lot of problems will go away when you nail down the basics.

Cheers & good luck!

Sleep-well

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 19 350 25 minutes ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,472 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
  [Pressure] New CPAP user - Please help interpreting graphs fsdx2004 40 2,034 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  [CPAP] Solvent smell coming from new Airsense 11 ducknoir 22 7,206 03-06-2024, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Teddyg
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,012 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,591 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 297 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.