HELP - Picking a Cheap CPAP to start with!
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: HELP - Picking a Cheap CPAP to start with!
(Putting on Moderator's Hat)

Please be aware that the purchase of prescription only items without a prescription is illegal in the United States. While we may, at time, point someone in the direction of places where such purchase can be made, we do not officially condone this activity.

(tossing Moderator's Hat onto nearby seat)

That said, I encourage you to save up your money and get a cleaned, sanitized, known-to-be-working unit from Supplier #2. They have S9 Autosets for $379. For slightly more you can get a brand new one (599). Their sales page is long but it can be narrowed down by hitting Ctrl and F then entering in the name of the machine. Like "autoset" or "DS560" (Phillips' machine).

You have had sleep apnea for a while. Do not make the mistake of getting a machine that won't work for you or one that is not data capable just because you just got the diagnosis. Sit back. Breathe. Save up some money. Ask about masks. Do your research. Money is tight so don't toss it at the first machine to look at you and wink.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
01-27-2016 07:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
thcguy12 Offline

Members

Machine: NONE
Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: none
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: none
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
I have a prescription.

My doctor is the one who suggested these two craigslist items.
01-27-2016 07:50 PM
Sleeprider Online
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: Resmed Climateline
CPAP Pressure: Auto Bilevel 18/9, PS 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

(01-27-2016 12:22 PM)thcguy12 Wrote:  My budget it about $400 including the mask and machine.

I went and looked at all the ones you suggest at that link - they are like $500, $600, $800, sometimes over $1000.

We don't have that kind of money in our budget - we struggle to make our bills and mortgage payments.

Need a cheap option.

For $400 you can currently buy a top of the line Philips Respironics System One Auto CPAP. This machine is fully data capable and can help you to successfully titrate your pressure requirements using it's auto intelligence and full efficacy data. I know you'd need a mask in addition to the machine, but this is worth the cost. This machine is currently being heavily discounted because it is being replace by the Dreamstation series.

You can find them new at Amazon and at Supplier #2 listes as an open box item. Get it!

As far as prescriptions, your doctor told you that you need machine, get the prescription for an auto CPAP, mask and supplies. Explain you're not using insurance. It should cost your nothing extra, and it will make Paula so happy.

Good luck, and we can help you get off to a good start that you will want to stick with.

01-27-2016 08:01 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

(01-27-2016 07:50 PM)thcguy12 Wrote:  My doctor is the one who suggested these two craigslist items.

That's fine. The reason the craigslist link was removed was because it violated our commercial links policy which is part of the forum rules.

If you have further questions on the forum rules, please send me a PM (Private Message) and I'd be glad to explain.

Thanks. Smile

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

01-27-2016 11:35 PM
Mr. Van Winkle Online

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Eson
Humidifier: Airsense
CPAP Pressure: 9 -15
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments:

(01-27-2016 12:22 PM)thcguy12 Wrote:  My budget it about $400 including the mask and machine.

I went and looked at all the ones you suggest at that link - they are like $500, $600, $800, sometimes over $1000.

We don't have that kind of money in our budget - we struggle to make our bills and mortgage payments.

Need a cheap option.

Maybe look into a rental program , or a bank loan with payments you can afford on a monthly bases, I realize a grand is a lot to put out on a tight budget....But your health is also important don't ignore that, but don't waste your monies on cheap equipment either it will cost you more in the long run. it's tough!
Good Luck!
01-30-2016 01:09 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [Equipment] AirSense 10 smart start with nasal pillows Jacto 6 572 09-13-2016 06:27 PM
Last Post: sonicboom
  Resmed S10 Autoset Start/Stop Not Working spicydesi 5 1,585 08-12-2016 10:00 PM
Last Post: jedirye
  [How to] Start a New Thread with the Right Subject Line! PaulaO2 10 1,531 07-28-2016 09:59 PM
Last Post: Ockrocket
  ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset Will Not Start UpFrontChuck 6 768 07-19-2016 01:17 PM
Last Post: UpFrontChuck
  Respironics System One A-Flex, blower won’t start, Beep Beep Alarm, “Service Required rae95131 4 937 07-05-2016 11:42 PM
Last Post: Ghost1958
  Resmed Airsence - Does White Noise Stop and Start? monkeychow 2 382 06-20-2016 11:57 PM
Last Post: chill
  [CPAP] Where do I start (my first night on cpap + sleepyhead) verbatim1 33 1,765 05-31-2016 06:12 PM
Last Post: Sleepster