Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

HELP Please w/ ResScan and Win 8
HELP Please w/ ResScan and Win 8
I can't get RESSCAN to work.....

I used to have 4.2 and then stupid me I upgraded to Windows 8.1 and typical of the junk Microsoft puts out it removed all of my apps and I have to reload them...

So I downloaded 4.3 and I did not select the 3 drivers I let Windows get it and it won't work. It tells me no data device is available.

So I went back to 4.2... same thing.

Obviously the driver windows loads is wrong... typical.

I'm using an S8 machine so I can't use sleepyhead... and now ResScan won't work.... God I hate Windows.

Anyone know what to do... Please.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: HELP Please w/ ResScan and Win 8
I updated your thread title so the people with the answers can find it.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Oh.. Ok... what did I do wrong to hide it..??
Post Reply Post Reply
Well an update of what I've done for now and I'll bet there isn't a sole who can help me....

I have gone to the web site of the manufacturer for the 38 reader and procured the newest driver pack for Windows 8 and installed it.

I then installed the 4.3 ResScan, which now won't install at all in Windows 8.1.

So now: no ResScan, no drivers and there isn't enough words in the English language to describe my hatred for Windows.

I wish the guy who wrote Sleepyhead would mod it to read the data cards for the S8 machine.

So now I'm screwed.... Microsoft won't even answer a Support call they are so busy with 8.1 complaints after the release today.

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm afraid you'll have to reformat to get ResScan to work. The ResScan card reader has a very old version of the ACR-38 firmware, and newer versions of the firmware are not compatible with ResScan. I'm sure that's why the updated driver didn't work for you. I learned this from a thread on another board about modifying a standard ACR-38 to read the S8 data card; success depended on the firmware version.

You may want to try version 3.16 of ResScan. I used it successfully during the summer edition of 2012 with a preview edition of Windows 8.

Windows 8 is an unbelievable mess, and 8.1 isn't much of an improvement. I just put the preview edition out of my misery yesterday. I bought a Mac after trying out an earlier preview edition of Windows 8 in late 2011. I'm dual-booting into Windows 7 to use ResScan.
Post Reply Post Reply
Another reason why Win8 blows. Sorry for the offtopic, but I'm staying with Win7 until a better OS comes out.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-19-2013, 03:59 AM)DOOM_NX Wrote: Another reason why Win8 blows. Sorry for the offtopic, but I'm staying with Win7 until a better OS comes out.

I wanted to stay with Win7 but had no choice when my laptop crashed. I have gotten used to Win8 now but I don't like that I have to pay for Office that always came with Windows in the past. So, I don't have office now. Word and Excel is mostly what I used so when I have time, I will look into others to see what will work with my current docs.

As far as the S8 goes, I think I read that it has to use a specific card reader. Hoping someone with that machine or that had that machine will be able to help you with this. Sorry you are having so much trouble

This is a post from PaulaO2

Oh, and do not accept possession of an S8. They are outdated. They use a proprietary data card (you can only use ResMed's card) and proprietary card reader (you can only use their reader). Both are difficult to find.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
http://www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-18-2013, 09:44 PM)snuffles Wrote: I can't get RESSCAN to work.....

I used to have 4.2 and then stupid me I upgraded to Windows 8.1 and typical of the junk Microsoft puts out it removed all of my apps and I have to reload them...

So I downloaded 4.3 and I did not select the 3 drivers I let Windows get it and it won't work. It tells me no data device is available.

So I went back to 4.2... same thing.

Obviously the driver windows loads is wrong... typical.

I'm using an S8 machine so I can't use sleepyhead... and now ResScan won't work.... God I hate Windows.

Anyone know what to do... Please.

Oh, and do not accept possession of an S8. They are outdated. They use a proprietary data card (you can only use ResMed's card) and proprietary card reader (you can only use their reader). Both are difficult to find.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
http://www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-19-2013, 04:06 AM)me50 Wrote: I wanted to stay with Win7 but had no choice when my laptop crashed. I have gotten used to Win8 now but I don't like that I have to pay for Office that always came with Windows in the past. So, I don't have office now. Word and Excel is mostly what I used so when I have time, I will look into others to see what will work with my current docs.

Try LibreOffice. It's free and compatible with most MSOffice formats.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the suggestions....

Well here's the next issue I ran into......

A friend dropped over with his Windows 7 PC so we loaded ResScan on his machine to see what might happen.

First we loaded the ACR38 drivers from the manufacturer and ran the program... "NO DEVICE DETECTED"

Then we removed all the drivers and selected the option from the ResScan program to load the ACR38 drivers. "NO DEVICE DETECTED"

During this last iteration we noticed that as soon as you plug in the ACR38 Windows in all it's magic automatically unloads whatever drivers we have installed and loads its own... thus: "NO DEVICE DETECTED".

So I've tried (now with assistance) Windows 8, 8.1, and 7 and it won't work on any of them.

i've decided that Windows is certainly a social operating system. No matter what you install users are compelled to join hundreds of web sites to chat with others to discover why whatever you have won't work.

I have 2 S8 machines and I'm not going to give them up. They work wonderfully. Unfortunately they use the ACR38 to read data.. that's their only drawback. I don't like the S9.. to big, and I'm forced to use a water reservoir to access a heated hose. (my S8 has the heated hose without reservoir) So I guess I'll just muddle on without the data now....

I'll also muddle on by dumping Windows. The only reason I ever kept it was to run ResScan. Thanks God I've always had Macs.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ResScan 7 help! [password issues] DakotaNorth 2 94 03-26-2024, 12:42 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Cannot import data from ResMed Astral 150 to ResScan or OSCAR BreatheEZ 8 2,338 03-16-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  Does ResScan delete detailed logs/records from the SD card after downloading them? Determinism 5 179 03-15-2024, 05:40 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  ResScan 7.1 nawolfor 2 374 02-26-2024, 10:29 PM
  NOTICE: ResScan 7.1 Software now available [for ResMed machines only] SuperSleeper 0 436 02-26-2024, 10:27 PM
Thumbsup ResScan 7.0 now available! [old version] SuperSleeper 54 17,629 12-30-2023, 07:44 PM
Last Post: jocemar
  OSCAR and ResScan export to csv notis58 0 611 04-24-2023, 05:45 PM
Last Post: notis58

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.