Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

HELP Please w/ ResScan and Win 8
RE: HELP Please w/ ResScan and Win 8
Why not just swap out the HDD instead of new PC and reload from backup... cheaper.??

(10-19-2013, 04:06 AM)me50 Wrote:
(10-19-2013, 03:59 AM)DOOM_NX Wrote: Another reason why Win8 blows. Sorry for the offtopic, but I'm staying with Win7 until a better OS comes out.

I wanted to stay with Win7 but had no choice when my laptop crashed. I have gotten used to Win8 now but I don't like that I have to pay for Office that always came with Windows in the past. So, I don't have office now. Word and Excel is mostly what I used so when I have time, I will look into others to see what will work with my current docs.

As far as the S8 goes, I think I read that it has to use a specific card reader. Hoping someone with that machine or that had that machine will be able to help you with this. Sorry you are having so much trouble

This is a post from PaulaO2

Oh, and do not accept possession of an S8. They are outdated. They use a proprietary data card (you can only use ResMed's card) and proprietary card reader (you can only use their reader). Both are difficult to find.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
http://www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-19-2013, 11:39 AM)snuffles Wrote: Why not just swap out the HDD instead of new PC and reload from backup... cheaper.??

(10-19-2013, 04:06 AM)me50 Wrote:
(10-19-2013, 03:59 AM)DOOM_NX Wrote: Another reason why Win8 blows. Sorry for the offtopic, but I'm staying with Win7 until a better OS comes out.

I wanted to stay with Win7 but had no choice when my laptop crashed. I have gotten used to Win8 now but I don't like that I have to pay for Office that always came with Windows in the past. So, I don't have office now. Word and Excel is mostly what I used so when I have time, I will look into others to see what will work with my current docs.

As far as the S8 goes, I think I read that it has to use a specific card reader. Hoping someone with that machine or that had that machine will be able to help you with this. Sorry you are having so much trouble

This is a post from PaulaO2

Oh, and do not accept possession of an S8. They are outdated. They use a proprietary data card (you can only use ResMed's card) and proprietary card reader (you can only use their reader). Both are difficult to find.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
http://www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

It wasn't the HDD. I would have used an external HDD if that was it. And, to fix it, it would have cost almost as much, if not more, than I paid for a new laptop.

An S8 doesn't use an SD card and that is why you can't use it with ResScan or Sleepy Head. It isn't a windows issue. At least that is what I have learned about the S8 (see the post where I included what PaulaO2 said).

Sorry for all the trouble but I doubt that either of these programs will work on a Mac either, at least not with the S8 data.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleepyhead runs on the Mac, Windows and Linux, but was only written for the SD card. Damn.! ResScan was only written for Windows.

Yes the S8 uses the old ACR38 reader but Windows IS the problem here. It replaces the drivers with its own, which don't work. This once worked. I used to run 4.2 and it worked fine but Windows 8 (and 7) update automatically and in doing so has replaced the drivers with its own that don't work, and I have not found a way to stop it. Turing off Auto Updates doesn't do the trick because simply plugging the ACR38 in caused Windows to search for new drivers and replace the ones I loaded from ACS which would work if Windows would leave them alone.

FYI.. I'm familiar with both Windows and Mac as I did testing for Microsoft and now Apple... gratefully I don't have to pay for any OS but I feel sorry for anyone who does from Microsoft.

Microsoft continues to screw up... wait 'til folks find the next bit of news they have for users: Users of Windows 8 where encouraged to load Windows 8.1 Preview and many did. The thing Microsoft didn't tell anyone was that when the official release of 8.1 came out, (this week) users had no way of backing out of 8.1 Preview, and No, the restore back to plain 8 in most cases (if anyone kept one) didn't work. So to install the new 8.1 over the 8.1 Preview you have to reinstall all your apps, and thus the problems begin.

So lets recap: (1) Microsoft brought out Vista... Fail. (2) Brought out Win8 and only 3% of Windows users use it. (3) Encouraged 8.1 Preview but can't properly overwrite it with 8.1 without reinstalling all the apps.

All this for a price of $200 to $300 per release. (8.1 is free) This is the company that everyone is in love with and can't wait to use their next wonderful product. (Mac OSX is $20 by the way)

Barnum was most certainly correct.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-20-2013, 10:23 AM)snuffles Wrote: Sleepyhead runs on the Mac, Windows and Linux, but was only written for the SD card. Damn.! ResScan was only written for Windows.

Yes the S8 uses the old ACR38 reader but Windows IS the problem here. It replaces the drivers with its own, which don't work. This once worked. I used to run 4.2 and it worked fine but Windows 8 (and 7) update automatically and in doing so has replaced the drivers with its own that don't work, and I have not found a way to stop it. Turing off Auto Updates doesn't do the trick because simply plugging the ACR38 in caused Windows to search for new drivers and replace the ones I loaded from ACS which would work if Windows would leave them alone.

FYI.. I'm familiar with both Windows and Mac as I did testing for Microsoft and now Apple... gratefully I don't have to pay for any OS but I feel sorry for anyone who does from Microsoft.

Microsoft continues to screw up... wait 'til folks find the next bit of news they have for users: Users of Windows 8 where encouraged to load Windows 8.1 Preview and many did. The thing Microsoft didn't tell anyone was that when the official release of 8.1 came out, (this week) users had no way of backing out of 8.1 Preview, and No, the restore back to plain 8 in most cases (if anyone kept one) didn't work. So to install the new 8.1 over the 8.1 Preview you have to reinstall all your apps, and thus the problems begin.

So lets recap: (1) Microsoft brought out Vista... Fail. (2) Brought out Win8 and only 3% of Windows users use it. (3) Encouraged 8.1 Preview but can't properly overwrite it with 8.1 without reinstalling all the apps.

All this for a price of $200 to $300 per release. (8.1 is free) This is the company that everyone is in love with and can't wait to use their next wonderful product. (Mac OSX is $20 by the way)

Barnum was most certainly correct.

maybe jedimark can help you
Post Reply Post Reply
That's sleepyhead.. SD cards only.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-20-2013, 09:36 PM)snuffles Wrote: That's sleepyhead.. SD cards only.

He has a new version that is being tested right now; that is why I suggested maybe jedimark could help you. just a thought
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-19-2013, 11:34 AM)snuffles Wrote: I'll also muddle on by dumping Windows. The only reason I ever kept it was to run ResScan. Thanks God I've always had Macs.

Hi snuffles,

Perhaps it is possible to do something like right-clicking on the ResScan program icon and in Properties set Windows to run ResScan in a Windows XP Compatibility mode?

I run ResScan on my Mac, on a Virtual Machine, using Parallels. I found a old worthless Windows XP desktop and imported it as a VM into Parallels. WinXP runs ResScan fine.

Good luck,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-18-2013, 11:35 PM)snuffles Wrote: Well an update of what I've done for now and I'll bet there isn't a sole who can help me....

I have gone to the web site of the manufacturer for the 38 reader and procured the newest driver pack for Windows 8 and installed it.

I then installed the 4.3 ResScan, which now won't install at all in Windows 8.1.

So now: no ResScan, no drivers and there isn't enough words in the English language to describe my hatred for Windows.

I wish the guy who wrote Sleepyhead would mod it to read the data cards for the S8 machine.

So now I'm screwed.... Microsoft won't even answer a Support call they are so busy with 8.1 complaints after the release today.

Umm - just in case this becomes a dead-end for you? Are you saying you have both the card-reader, and all the bits to read data from an S8?

If so, and you end up no longer using it, I *think* it would work for me with my VPAP Auto 25 - so if you decide to sell the reader hardware, please let me know?

That said, I do hope this is something you can fix. But if not...
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-20-2013, 10:23 AM)snuffles Wrote: So lets recap: (1) Microsoft brought out Vista... Fail. (2) Brought out Win8 and only 3% of Windows users use it. (3) Encouraged 8.1 Preview but can't properly overwrite it with 8.1 without reinstalling all the apps.

You can upgrade to OS X Mavericks from Snow Leopard (10.6.8), Lion (10.7), or Mountain Lion (10.8). The price for this upgrade is nada, zip, nothing.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi guys....

To: me50... I'll check into that. I wish he would write something for the old S8 machine. I like the S8 Elite and hate to move away from it.

To: vsheline... I tried compatibility mode but it won't work there either. Windows keeps changing the drivers.

To: Peter_C... yes I have the reader (USB), and the proprietary card. PM me and make an offer... I take Paypal. It's no use to me now. It just sits in my home office.

To: cbramsey.. yes.. I'm one of those guys who was asked to test Apple anything and everything so I've had Mavericks for months, along with the new Parallels and a bunch of other things manufacturers throw at me. Still doesn't help me with this ResMed issue though. Windows only.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ResScan 7 help! [password issues] DakotaNorth 2 235 03-26-2024, 12:42 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Cannot import data from ResMed Astral 150 to ResScan or OSCAR BreatheEZ 8 2,504 03-16-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  Does ResScan delete detailed logs/records from the SD card after downloading them? Determinism 5 235 03-15-2024, 05:40 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  ResScan 7.1 nawolfor 2 472 02-26-2024, 10:29 PM
  NOTICE: ResScan 7.1 Software now available [for ResMed machines only] SuperSleeper 0 616 02-26-2024, 10:27 PM
Thumbsup ResScan 7.0 now available! [old version] SuperSleeper 54 17,981 12-30-2023, 07:44 PM
Last Post: jocemar
  OSCAR and ResScan export to csv notis58 0 631 04-24-2023, 05:45 PM
Last Post: notis58

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.