Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

HELP: Recommended Oximeter w alarm
HELP: Recommended Oximeter w alarm
Hello ALL I am new to the forum and am in great need of all of your help.
I recently have been diagnosed with apnea and am looking for a Oximeter with an alarm that can wake me up when I am about to get low oxygen saturation so that I can change my position and wake up..

CAN ANYONE PLEASE GIVE ME A RECOMMENDATION OF THE MOST ACURATE/RELIABLE one possible?

THANK YOU ALL AND I KNOW YOU CAN HELP ME AND WE CAN HELP each other
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: HELP:: Recommended Oximeter w alarm
A lot of them have this feature. You can check the Review section for various oximeter reviews.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-O...ct-Reviews

If you are going to use it fairly often, then look for one of the types that go on the wrist and have a finger probe attached. They are more comfortable and stay in place better. Check out Supplier #19 in our Suppliers List (link at top of every page). They have a decent selection of oximeters.

And if you are considering using an oximeter to "treat" your sleep apnea, consider again. That is akin to using how hard your hand is shaking to determine how much insulin you need.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I know Resmed has an attachment for their machines, but I am not sure about alarms. The official ones are quite expensive ($900+). The finger only ones may have alarms, but I am not sure if I would be able to hear its beeping if my had was under the covers.

All that said if you have a significant medical issue to monitor your O2, have your doctor prescribe the official one and get your insurance to pay for it. I think I have also heard about DME's loaning one to their customers. If these paths don't work get a recording one and track you O2 levels the next morning to see just how you are doing.

Some here have posted desats down to below 60% and still made it through the night with the recording meters. Again if your concern is significantly medical in nature work with your doctor if you are trying to own your treatment and just want to make sure a finger recording meter will do that

I have one, used it for a while just to make sure and now it sits on my desk.

you want the cms50D+ must be the plus to connect to a computer. supplier 19 has them as do many other sources. they have an alarm.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would second PaulaO2's recommendation for a wrist unit. The finger clip units are hard to secure, and movement will lead to bad data. Another quirk of the CMS50D+ is that it will only save a single session, and its time always starts at 0:00:00.

I also second the other recommendation. You don't really want to wake up when your O2 goes low; you want to prevent the O2 from going low. You, and the people around you, /can/ adapt to the mask and hose and machine, and you will sleep much better, and feel better all day too.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Kingtut,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
The CPAP machine and mask treats your sleep apnea, an oxemeter won't treat it.
Much success to you on your journey, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I recommend the CMS 50F, in particular the model with the Innovo silicone probe, which is MUCH more comfortable to wear during sleep than most probes. This model a significant step up from the 50D+ and is fairly easy to sync up with CPAP data.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much for the responses I really appreciate it and I'm not just saying it this means a lot to know that people care I wish all of you the best!!!!and good fortune too!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day Kingtut, welcome to Apnea Board.

Quote:am looking for a Oximeter with an alarm that can wake me up when I am about to get low oxygen saturation so that I can change my position and wake up..

No, no no!! Sorry but you've got this all backwards. The aim is not to wake up when you get a low oxygen level - the aim is to sleep soundly all night. Sleep apnea causes a sequence of arousals which disturb your sleep and partly wake you. The whole idea of CPAP treatment is to prevent apneas so that you don't wake up. And if the apneas are effectively managed then you won't go into a low oxygen situation.

IMHO having an alarm on the oximeter is necessary in a lot of clinical settings, but counter-productive when we're treating apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: HELP: Recommended Oximeter w alarm
Good morning! I looked for an alarming & recording oximeter for exactly the same reason - really didn't like knowing I was sleeping through dangerous oxytem levels. So, below I am giving a cut and paste now of a post I wrote to someone else on the topic of oximeters. Though am new to this whole thing, sure want to also, first, repeat the advice of those more experienced to not rely solely on the alarm as the permanent fix. That being said, here's info on the alarming monitor I use ...

I have had great experience w/CMS 50F, recording oximeter worn like a wristwatch. Have taken it to appt at doctor's offices to test against "real" oximeters and it tracks perfectly. Data displays on the watch face and it connects w/reasonable length of wire to a very lightweight sensor that clamps on a finger and stays secure. Though watch is a little cluncky in size, it is lightweight and stays put very well. Batteries are rechargeable, but it doesn't seem to need a recharge too often - takes about 5 or 6 days before the battery indicator starts showing the charge is reducing. Seems to take a few hours to charge up to a full load at that point. Manual isn't great but I could figure things out pretty quickly in spite of being a Tyrannosaurus Tech, a term we elders coined for ourselves in response to being termed "dinosaurs" by a wiseguy hipster who worked in the I.T. dept. where I worked before I retired 2012. Reportedly the device will give you its data in wonderful ways via bluetooth, but I don't understand bluetooth w/Windows 10, so I, instead, print copies of the oximetry reports the monitor software generates, and print 1 or 2 as pdfs to bring along to appointments to show typical nights to the doctor. One caution - the "watch" doesn't respond well to being accidently dropped onto hard surfaces, but worked like a champ for months before that calamity. Was impressed enough overall to buy the same model as a replacement, and expect the new one I bought to arrive today.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for wrist oximeter to check O2 storywizard 0 66 03-13-2024, 05:29 PM
Last Post: storywizard
Question Oximeter Sensitivity mhjunk525 1 134 03-02-2024, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 181 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232
  [Health] Pulse oximeter readings while asleep and awake - what do these readings mean? SleepyButHopeful 11 659 02-26-2024, 03:17 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Recommended soft cervical collar? Ynot 3 334 02-10-2024, 09:53 PM
Last Post: eok361
  [Equipment] Alarm Jimboiii 1 273 12-25-2023, 12:20 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Is there a pulse oximeter that bluetooths to the Air11? cathyf 2 758 12-19-2023, 01:19 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.