Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

HELP! [mask issues]
HELP! [mask issues]
I have had sleep apnea for about 5 years now and have only used my machine maybe 5 times. it is so uncomfortable and feels like i am suffocating. i have tried all different kinds of masks. i have the resmed with the humidifier. A few of the problems are the pressure it puts on the bridge of my nose and my bottom teeth under my lowet lip. Please help!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: HELP!
Hi Erika, welcome to Apnea Board.

You haven't given us a lot to go on, so maybe you could post again and give us some more details about your machines, the pressure settings, make and model of mask, and what exact problems you're experiencing. There are a lot of very good people here to help you, but they do need a fair bit of information to work out what's going wrong and to suggest improvements.

Could I ask also if you have a sleep doctor or other professional to help you with CPAP, or are you doing it on your own - that obviously makes a big difference.

From what you've written I'm guessing you use a full-face mask like a Resmed F20 or F&P Simplus. These are great, but some people can't use them and prefer a nasal mask or nasal pillows. I see you've tried various different types of mask, but it's probably still worthwhile to have a look at an excellent guide to all things to do with masks in our mask primer, here: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer

Once you get the mask under control, the rest will follow. Five years is too long to suffer, and we will do our very best to get your apnea under control, with comfortable and restful sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-18-2018, 11:55 PM)erikashaffer25 Wrote: I have had sleep apnea for about 5 years now and have only used my machine maybe 5 times. it is so uncomfortable and feels like i am suffocating. i have tried all different kinds of masks. i have the resmed with the humidifier. A few of the problems are the pressure it puts on the bridge of my nose and my bottom teeth under my lowet lip. Please help!

erica
I wear dentures and the mask really bothered my lower gums. I was using a F-20 Medium mask. I switched to the F-20 large size and can place the bottom of it on my chin, that has solved my problem. Maybe go up on size????

Good luck
Post Reply Post Reply
Erika, you have had a terribly unfortunate initiation to this lifesaving treatment.  You mention that you were uncomfortable.  Were you able to try other masks?  Some people use a foam liner over the mask ridge that is meant to make contact with the face.  As just suggested by gwc, even a different size of a given type of mask can make a huge difference.

We'll work with you if you stick with us for a bit and give a serious try at some of our suggestions.  At some point, we'll need you to use your device for several days while we tweak its settings.  We'll need you to download a freeware called SleepyHead and use it to report what the machine senses about your apnea, but only if your machine has that capability.  Does your machine have a slot on the side for an SD card?
Post Reply Post Reply
You may try to loosen up the headgear straps. It sounds like your mask is too tight.

Read Mask Primer article: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Supplier and Insurance issues DudleyDoRight 0 42 7 hours ago
Last Post: DudleyDoRight
  Flow Limit and frequent waking issues Premier1991 3 188 04-15-2024, 08:07 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 14 527 04-12-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Luka07
  [Treatment] AHI under control but flow limitation issues guzzle 2 231 04-03-2024, 02:12 PM
Last Post: guzzle
  Air Mini issues Bous 0 138 03-27-2024, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Bous
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 134 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  How to remedy issues during lighter sleep period, 3 AM-7 AM rosebladepat 0 143 03-15-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.