Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

HELP with AHI
HELP with AHI
I just left my appointment with my pulmonologist. I need to get my first sleep study in 7 years because I am sooooooo tired all of the time. The problem is that they cannot get me in for over ten weeks. I have got to feel rested and want to change my settings. I am currently at a 10 now.

I have a REMstarPro M series. Can someone please recommend a way to make changes to the settings so I can finally rest up?

Tired in PA,
Featgirl
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: HELP with AHI
There's no way to know where to set that machine such that it would improve things.
If it were a later model auto PAP with data capability, one could open the pressure settings and let the machine find a new setting -- using software to monitor it.

A better tack would be to "bug" the doctor to get a faster sleep study -- and a new machine.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Featgirl,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
ask your doctor to write your script for an APAP so that you can self titrate - or get a loaner APAP until the study - if you have plain OSA, there is no reason to do anything else, really.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
http://apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pressu...tup-manual
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-15-2016, 04:31 PM)Featgirl Wrote: I just left my appointment with my pulmonologist. I need to get my first sleep study in 7 years because I am sooooooo tired all of the time. The problem is that they cannot get me in for over ten weeks. I have got to feel rested and want to change my settings. I am currently at a 10 now.

I have a REMstarPro M series. Can someone please recommend a way to make changes to the settings so I can finally rest up?

Tired in PA,
Featgirl

Hi Featgirl, my own personal CAPA experience, and while every one is different it hasn't y s hurt me as yet, but only new "1 to 2 Month" to CPAP, but I started out by:

1) setting fixed lowest setting 4 and monitored with SH to see and know what my AHI was at lowest setting and have then since gradually increase to try to bring bring down ?

Noting I started off at 4 and now up to pressure 15 and my AHI is still about the same but CA'S have dropped which is opposite to what is expected as they say on some higher CPAP pressure induce CA's. I'am thinking " guessing" my CA's may have been more of False CA while had less experience with MASK and may have recorded CA's that where I was awake and actually holding breath while doing some think / thinking etc? '

To Night going dig in and have big jump getting to Impatient and intend to give it a big wind up from 15 to 17 and hoping will fix it and hope may even be able to wind pressure backwards slightly then?t

2) but if you know your AHI you and are already on 10 been using machine / mask etc could;

A) Just gradually increase and monitor to keep increasing with SH or :

B) Take punt go to 15 and monitor AHI with SH then depending om result go up or do down ?

As I was new CPAP experience and by putting on the lowest setting and adjusting gave time get use to machine /mask and leaks etc and was think in Hm getting No sleep with CPAP, but persisted and became sleep deprive and tired that became oblivious to mask and finally felt as if got some sleep will eventually become easier getting some sleep with mask on.

Now hoping to get AHI down so can get reasonable sleep with out interrupted waking. Smile please please

Bests of luck and anyone, thinks my "suggestion "as is not advice" is wrong please speak up and correct don't be concerned as as have a thick skin wouldn't want to be making dad suggestionSmile **learning every day*** and would like to see Featgirl get the advice she needs Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
The problem with the above advice is: Her machine is not data capable. It uses a special data card; and has limited recording.
Sleepyhead will not give the feedback on therapy.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-16-2016, 04:58 AM)justMongo Wrote: The problem with the above advice is: Her machine is not data capable. It uses a special data card; and has limited recording.
Sleepyhead will not give the feedback on therapy.

Yes do agree if not to attempt if don't have the knowledge and monitoring tools / software
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the comments everyone. I am going to try to bump the settings up.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-16-2016, 06:52 AM)Featgirl Wrote: Thanks for the comments everyone. I am going to try to bump the settings up.

Hi Featgirl,
I had the same issues when I was first diagnosed. I had to wait quite a while for a sleep study. I suggest you call that doctor back or the sleep clinic and ask to be put on a cancellation list, this way if someone cancels, your in sooner.

Unfortunately, you have what we call a "brick" for a machine, meaning it can't give you any usefull information. Do you have any idea what your AHI is?

In the meantime, if you are determined to increase pressure, move it in small increments. Your at 10cm now, so move it to 10.5 or 11, and see how you feel after a week. We don't really like to advise on adjusting pressure when we have no data to base descision on.

Give some serious consideration in replacing that machine with a fully data capable APAP. Don't let them give you another "brick".

Here is a link to show you some of the newer machines and what ones to avoid.
Educate yourself before that sleep study.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

Good luck.Smile
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.