Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

HME (Heat moisture exchange filters)
HME (Heat moisture exchange filters)
I would like some info from those who have used HME's as opposed to heated humidifiers. I recently finished a week using one. The first night was rough and I woke with a dry, scratchy throat. I dripped some distilled water into the filter the second night and it was better. From the 3rd night on the air felt warm and humid without adding any additional water, and I woke feeling fine.

This May we are going to Peru for 20 days. Most of those are at high elevation (8000'-11,000' above sea level). I'd like to use HME's to save schlepping my full heated unit around but I'm concerned about their viability, especially at elevation. The hostels we are staying at do not have central heating and a room heater is not guaranteed. Consequently, we may find temps in the mid to high 30's at night.

Has anyone used an HME for any length of time? Any thoughts, tips etc?

Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: HME (Heat moisture exchange filters)
My response is probably not going to answer your questions, nut here is my experience with them.

I use HME's 4 days a week almost every week.

First, an HME will never feel as good as a real humidifier...that is just not going to happen. Also, I do not think that the manufacturers would recommend using any water and I never have to.

In more humid environments I have used an HME for about 14 consecutive days and still felt comfortable. Also, when not actually in use, remove the HME and put it in a zip lock bag.

While it may not be applicable to this trip, if you're in a hotel as opposed to a hostel or camping, run the shower on hot until you see the mirrors in the main room start to fog. I found that helps in dry climates and I can even sleep without a humidifier when I do that although not as comfortably as with an HME (d it when I forget to pack one)

There is no question as to whether HME's work, they've been used for years, it is just a matter getting used to them.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-31-2016, 11:27 AM)hozholla Wrote: I would like some info from those who have used HME's as opposed to heated humidifiers. I recently finished a week using one. The first night was rough and I woke with a dry, scratchy throat. I dripped some distilled water into the filter the second night and it was better. From the 3rd night on the air felt warm and humid without adding any additional water, and I woke feeling fine.

This May we are going to Peru for 20 days. Most of those are at high elevation (8000'-11,000' above sea level). I'd like to use HME's to save schlepping my full heated unit around but I'm concerned about their viability, especially at elevation. The hostels we are staying at do not have central heating and a room heater is not guaranteed. Consequently, we may find temps in the mid to high 30's at night.

Has anyone used an HME for any length of time? Any thoughts, tips etc?

Thinking-about

I've been wanting to try HME without buying a Transcend. Are you using a "Universal Inline HME" with your mask or do you have a Transcend?

The Transcend has a design that places the HME between the exhaust and the mask. The universal is downstream from the exhaust which doesn't look like it would be as effective as the Transcend.

Any comments/experiences will be welcomed.

Post Reply Post Reply
Read my post again, I haven't run into anyone on the message boards who uses an HME as much as I do. I've used the same one for 14 days straight and it was still effective. I've never added water do an HME.

I never tried the Transcend one but the inline works adequately as far as I'm concerned and I cant sleep without either an HME or a Humidifier............I take that back, on the rare occasions where I forget to pack an HME I have gotten buy in my hotel room by running a hot shower until the mirrors in the bedroom fog up a bit. That usually provides enough humidity for me to fall asleep.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Soft Cervical Collar and Heat Retention Columbiabill 3 353 01-21-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Moisture with Brevida Nasal Pillows Columbiabill 2 337 12-26-2023, 02:04 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Gross [Equipment] HELP! Heat & Humidity settings are Choking Me! James87 3 359 12-21-2023, 11:00 AM
Last Post: James87
  [Equipment] Cleaning filters bookwyrmtoo 2 388 12-20-2023, 09:45 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 2 602 11-16-2023, 05:31 PM
Last Post: cLoo
  eson2 mask and heat tubing kerm007 2 400 10-07-2023, 02:56 PM
Last Post: kerm007
  [CPAP] Airsense 11 filters mmrams13 32 9,417 09-06-2023, 05:21 PM
Last Post: turbo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.