Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

HMG7450 - Therapy Thread and questions
Smile 
HMG7450 - Therapy Thread and questions
I had one sleep study that said I had upper airway resistance disorder. My sleep did not improve when he gave me a medicine for it. So I got a second opinion a year later. This second sleep dr said I did Not have UARS- no breathing problems! He said I had alpha intrusion into delta sleep. How can one sleep dr say I had a breathing problem and another say I don’t?!  Second, I bought the Airsense 11 autopap myself to figure out if this is truly what is causing me to have very poor sleep quality to the point I am not functional the next day. My first sleep dr wrote the RX.  After using it for a little, I asked the dr can you see how many events I’m having per night that the machine has to correct for? He said no I really just see the ahi! So I’m going to figure out if I truly have a sleep breathing disorder - can I do this with Oscar? If so, how do I install it? I have the sleep file up on my computer Mac Probook but I can’t find an Applications folder anywhere and the icon won’t drag. Feel free to email me too if you are tech support for Oscar.  Mb2090@live.com
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Oscar - need help installing and questions
HMG7450, Welcome

There is a wiki page with Mac install instructions here: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._Apple_Mac
One of the more common issues is the security permissions for OSCAR (towards the bottom of the wiki page).

If you do not already have one, you will need an SD card.  Anything 2GB to 32GB will work fine.

See if any of those solutions work for you....
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would like someone from the apnea board to email me please. I looked at the Oscar on Wikipedia but I’m still having trouble loading it on my MacBook Pro.  My email is mb2090@live.com.   Second, will I be able to tell if I do have a breathing disorder from looking at Oscar? (See above post). Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
The wiki Jeff referred to is not part of Wikipedia. ApneaBoard has its own wiki focused on sleep disorders.

The page you want is at http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._Apple_Mac

As a matter of policy, neither email nor Private Messages are used for problem solving of any kind.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Can someone read my first post? Will Oscar help me determine How many events per night (flow limitations) I am having so that I can determine if I am having a sleep disorder or not? Or does it give you just basic information like in AirView?
Post Reply Post Reply
The short answer is 'not exactly'... ResMed uses a proprietary algorithm to calculate an index (from 0 to 1) for each breath, which is recorded in the Flow Limitation graph. If you zoom in on this graph, you can count the number of occurrences of each one tenth bucket (11 buckets). This is tedious, and OSCAR reports instead the median value (same number above and below), the 95th percentile value (95 percent of entries are at or below this value), and the 99.5th percentile value. We have found the 95th percentile value to be a good indication of the amount of flow limitation, and recommend that a value of 0.10 is acceptable for most people.

There is detailed discussion of flow limitation in the main forum at http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid450135 and two posts that go into the mechanism at #38 and #39: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid455295

In addition, flow limitations can be reduced by increasing EPR in an AirSense (10/11) Autoset, or pressure support in a true bilevel machine. If your 95th percentile value cannot be reduced below 0.10 with EPR set to 3, then tat is an indication that you probably need a bilevel like the AirCurve 10 VAuto.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
How do I increase the pressure of the EPR on an autoset 11? I thought it only let you decrease expiratory pressure by giving you levels?
So it sounds like Oscar will not necessarily show me if I truly have Upper airway  Resistance disorder or not by looking at its data?
After a night on the autopap your pressure says it was 7 in Airview (I’m guessing this was your average pressure for the night?)- does that tell me that I do have a sleep breathing disorder? (See my first post about drs disagreeing)
Last- how can one sleep dr say I have upper airway resistance syndrome and another sleep dr say I don’t?
Post Reply Post Reply
You can change EPR by using levels 1, 2, or 3, depending how much exhale relief pressure you want to use.  Order the Clinicians manual so you will be able to understand the capabilities of your machine better and how to make changes.

https://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p...tup-manual

We can't explain why your doctors disagree, but we can advise you once we see some data.

First, you'll have to do your part.  Be sure your Apap has a SD card installed.  
Download the OSCAR software.  There are instructions, if you follow the directions, it should go smoothly.  If not, then ask in the software support forum, but be specific what the issue is.

OSCAR can tell us a lot about your breathing. Read the links in my signature line to
help you in organizing a chart and posting it.  

Once you've slept with the SD card in your Apap for a night or two, start a new thread in the Main Forum and post your data there.

Also:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Lastly, please see Apnea Boards policy below on asking for advice or help via PM or Email.

"The PM (Private Message) system should not be used to initiate or solicit private consultations or therapy advice.  Neither should members use their forum account to initiate or solicit private off-site consultations."
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok when I buy the SD card and put it in will it put all my data on from past months? The drs keep telling me There’s no way to tell if I have a sleep breathing disorder other than yet another study.  A respiratory therapist told me Oscar won’t give me any of that info either.  She said it’s like my Airview which is not helpful. Let me know. 
The EPR 1, 2 3 I am familiar with but I thought this was just pressure relief on expirations correct??
Post Reply Post Reply
No, summary data only if there was no SD card in the machine. The card must be in the Apap while you sleep.

EPR is expiratory pressure relief.

Do you have a copy of your sleep study? If yes, start a new thread in the main forum and post it there.

With that and a couple OSCAR charts, we can maybe answers your questions.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 152 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,067 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 160 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 254 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,264 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,355 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 958 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.