Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

HOW DO WE BREATH IN THESE MASKS?
HOW DO WE BREATH IN THESE MASKS?
Now for another off the wall question:

Our systems maintain a positive constant air pressure and air flow, even my ASV machine does this.

SO how do we exhale?? How does the CO2 get out??

Or are we rebreathing our own air??

I note a small flap in my mask and thought it must close when I exhale to vent my CO2 out the steady air vents in the elbow of the hose.

BUT I watched it with a flashlight and once the system is up and running it never closed.

And as these systems do not vacuum the air out even during exhale, and there is no exhaust vent anywhere, so there is nowhere for our exhaled breath to go.

Note I am using a full face mask so there is no in by the nose and out by the mouth here...

It is a closed system we are like a car breathing its own tail pipe. In the case of a car, as combustion is so poor, a car can rebreath some of its exhaust and run..and would think we can too, UP to a point where we and the car engine has burned all the left over gas and O2 or in our cases the O2 and fill up with CO2...

So after a couple of hours how much Co2 are we rebreathing? The machine can only push so much o2.

I have to say this deeply scares me.

Rich

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: HOW DO WE BREATH IN THESE MASKS????
I feel honor bound to report this:

There is some exhaust out the mask hose vents.

As I was getting ready to go back to sleep I had my hand partly over the vents and I could make out a slight but notable change in the sound of the air flow.

Puffing hard make it even more so.

So positive proof of some venting of our breath.

So in the words of Sat. Night skit: Never mind….

Rich

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-10-2013, 06:20 AM)racprops Wrote: I feel honor bound to report this:

All masks have vents holes allows exhaled air to escape and different masks have different leak rates (intentional leak) at various pressure settings
For example, FullLife intentional leak @ 15 = 32 L/min

Full face masks also have anti-asphyxia valve, allows fresh air inside the mask in case the machine shut off during the night so you don,t suffocate

Post Reply Post Reply
Check I know that...

It did seem there was no venting during full operation, so I thought the air flow overpower any output I made...until I found a way to show there was I was posting this question.

The mods can delete this or leave it so other questioning this can find it and get the answer.

Rich

(05-10-2013, 06:48 AM)zonk Wrote:
(05-10-2013, 06:20 AM)racprops Wrote: I feel honor bound to report this:

All masks have vents holes allows exhaled air to escape and different masks have different leak rates (intentional leak) at various pressure settings
For example, FullLife intentional leak @ 15 = 32 L/min

Full face masks also have anti-asphyxia valve, allows fresh air inside the mask in case the machine shut off during the night so you don,t suffocate

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 349 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  Rapid Breathing-Fractured Sleep-Out of Breath Fixit50 76 4,017 01-31-2024, 01:37 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Switched masks and adjustment period sleepingbetterinFl 1 221 01-21-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 4 412 01-20-2024, 11:51 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  Other masks to try? acordeon 5 496 01-01-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  [Equipment] 12 months of therapy. Tried several masks/nothing working Tiredkiwi 5 493 12-30-2023, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Why different pressures with different masks Dawei 6 423 12-29-2023, 03:08 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.