Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

HOW MANY TYPES OF MASKS?
HOW MANY TYPES OF MASKS?
As I start on this journey, I am getting the idea that one mask is not the end all for all conditions. I am using an Aloha pillow mask, and it is working well, but I can see the advantage of changing mask types from time time to time.
A nasal mask for when your nose nares are a bit sore... A full face mask for when a cold or allergies strike. I tried to do a search for multiple masks, and it was not very helpful, so I am reaching out to the experts who are dealing with CPAP for advice and reccomendations. Thank you all for your help, as a new person to the hose, I really appreciate the knowledge and support you share.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: HOW MANY TYPES OF MASKS?
I tried nasal pillows once and didn't like
Full face masks don't like me
I've been using Activa LT nasal mask for 5 years, would be lost without it
During a cold, I still use the Activa LT, breathing warm humidified air seem helps with the cold
Different strokes for different folks
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried a full face mask once, just thinking I should have one on hand for a cold, but I'm too claustrophobic and couldn't wear it.

Haven't found a nasal mask that didn't want to destroy the bridge of my nose. Sad

I'm trying out the new PR DreamWear now, and will probably do a review on it.

I started with the P10 nasal pillow mask and have always done well with it, and the only reason I keep looking at other masks, is that I would like to have something on hand if my nares get sore and to give them a break. That's only happened a couple times.

I can use a nasal pillow mask even if I have a cold. It clears out congestion well.

What works for one doesn't work for another. You just have to try different masks and see what works best for you.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-24-2015, 11:50 PM)zonk Wrote: I tried nasal pillows once and didn't like
Full face masks don't like me
I've been using Activa LT nasal mask for 5 years, would be lost without it
During a cold, I still use the Activa LT, breathing warm humidified air seem helps with the cold
Different strokes for different folks

Same here with the difference being that I only use the Sleep Weaver Elan Nasal Mask. One time, when I had a cold, it worked fine. Another time, not so well but I always found full face masks to be intolerable when I had one. So I just do the best I can to deal with the situation.

Post Reply Post Reply
i have several copies of the P10 and no other masks... I feel like i *should* go in and get fitted for some alternates, but I am too lazy Big Grin My insurance will pay 100% a new mask every 3 months, so the only excuse is that within a year I have never needed anything different. P10 always works for me, even when sick. I do change pillow sizes back and forth between XS and S. XS fits most comfortably, S gets a better stream of air.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a collection of about a dozen masks. My original was called a "no mask". It had no head gear just a custom molded mouthpiece and pillows. My nares were always sore for the six months I used it.
My favorites included the full line of Sleepweaver masks. Currently using the Elan, which I keep coming back to.
My next adventure will be the Amara View full face mask.

There is apparently no such thing as a perfect mask. If we had perfect nasal features and airways, we would not be on this forum.
Post Reply Post Reply
I started out with the F&P Simplus full face mask. Since I can't seem to get enough air through my nose a big part of the time, a full face mask is the only option. After what seemed like an issue with pressure on either side of my nose up near my eyes with the Simplus, I tried a Resperonics Amara View full face mask that fits mostly below my nose. It is much smaller and more comfortable. It can be little harder to keep a good seal. I found that the View leaks if the straps are too tight. You have to get a good balance. I still the Simplus from time to time. It is good to have an alternative as a backup. Bottom line: I like both but use the Amara View most of the time.
Sleep is worth the effort.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a collection of P10s, a Pillario Q, and some of the ones I regularly use - the WISP and the Nuance (non Pro version).

Nasal pillows are great for congestion, until they make your nares hurt, then I use the WISP. When not congested the WISP is great all around.

I see little difference in my AHI scores with either mask.

Personally never tried an FFM, but an Amara View might be worth a shot at some point.

Happy Mask Hunting! Getting the right one is at least 90% of the battle.

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
I have tried lots of Remed masks and IMHO the newer the better..
They seem to be better each year..
I have used Actives, Swifts and Mirages..

My last mask was a FX Nano and I had an unused Mirage Activa I just tried again and hated it...
The FX Nano is 10X more comfortable right under the nose as the profile has changed and much more comfortable...
It also bleeds more air out the exhaust holes and IMHO more comfortable to exhale than much older Mirage Activa...
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-24-2015, 08:25 PM)DWaldman Wrote: As I start on this journey, I am getting the idea that one mask is not the end all for all conditions.

You may eventually settle on a favorite, but even then masks keep going out of production and some really good new ones seem to be coming in, especially lately.

But anyway, see Supplier #1 on supplier list. They have a well laid-out website where you can look at masks to your heart's content.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Filter types vs. original for AirSense 10 fotjon 3 118 03-21-2024, 12:57 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Prescription for specific mask types? Slycer 2 120 03-17-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Slycer
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 345 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  Switched masks and adjustment period sleepingbetterinFl 1 220 01-21-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 4 412 01-20-2024, 11:51 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  Do mask types affect xpaps rise in eye pressure? Happyeyes 4 364 01-12-2024, 10:05 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Other masks to try? acordeon 5 496 01-01-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Expat31

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.