Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

HP printer problems
HP printer problems
Can anyone here recommend a modest priced, simple to operate for home printing jobs?  I purchased an HP 5660 all-in-one printer just for things like printing recipes from the internet, printing medicine lists for the doctor and simple jobs - nothing fancy.  I made the mistake of joining HP Instant Ink and even though it was convenient to have cartridges delivered, it came at a steep price.

Last week I resigned the Instant Ink program and now my printer will not work in spite of my having purchased brand new ink cartridges.  I'm afraid the only choice I have left is to buy a new printer because no one can tell me how to fix the one I have.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
RE: HP printer problems
I used to use HP inkjets but got very tired of their high price for replacement cartridges, as well as, their timer chip that will timeout the cartridge regardless of use. I have switched to Brother products, both for personal and commercial applications, with great success.  Replacement cartridges are a third to half that of the HP. Brother cartridges don't have a timer either.  If you are into refills, their cartridge chips can be reset via a 3rd party device.  Also, refillable cartridges and inks are readily available.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-05-2018, 01:44 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: I used to use HP inkjets but got very tired of their high price for replacement cartridges, as well as, their timer chip that will timeout the cartridge regardless of use.  I have switched to Brother products, both for personal and commercial applications, with great success.  Replacement cartridges are a third to half that of the HP.  Brother cartridges don't have a timer either.  If you are into refills, their cartridge chips can be reset via a 3rd party device.  Also, refillable cartridges and inks are readily available.

Crimson Nape ~

If I read carefully the owner's manual, could someone like myself get a Brother printer to print simple jobs?  I'm just scared of anything that requires a high degree of technical ability which I do not have.
Post Reply Post Reply
It is VERY simple to install and use. They have to design any install software and setup fo be aimed the most novice user. You unpack the printer, install cartridges and paper, install the setup DVD in your computer and it will tell you when to connect the two. Brother provides a graphic tutorial that is easy to follow. If you can manage a CPAP, you can install this printer.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
(06-05-2018, 03:42 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: It is VERY simple to install and use.  They have to design any install software and setup fo be aimed the most novice user.  You unpack the printer, install cartridges and paper, install the setup DVD in your computer and it will tell you when to connect the two.  Brother provides a graphic tutorial that is easy to follow.  If you can manage a CPAP, you can install this printer.

That sounds a whole lot easier than my HP printer was to install.  I looked on brother website and see they have laser or inkjet.  Is there a big difference for home printing jobs like mine?  I think my current HP is an inkjet printer.  Is it ok to order printer online or better to find a box store to buy one?
Post Reply Post Reply
I have both and I use the inkjet more often. You can print photos with it as well. The replacement toner cost for the laser is substantial. The cost per page goes to the laser, but that only comes into play for mass printing jobs like manuals or documents.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used Brother as well, and got the laser printer, because I print only every now and then, ink would often dry out or clog the heads, with laser and low boule printing, it lasts for ever.

If you have problems, I could likely connect to your machine to help using TeamViewer (it is what the company I work for uses, and is free to use for personal use).
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
I have an HP all-in-one and laser in my home office. It takes forever to print anything from my either of my Macs on the inkjet. Laser prints fine. HP has no idea on how to fix it and the forums have a lot of complaints and fixes that don't really work.

I have a Brother all-in-one in my other office (I am a masonic lodge secretary) and my MacBook prints with no problems from that and the lodge laptop works fine. I just had to by replacement carts for it and it ran me about $90 for the for cartridges. My HP coast significantly more. I think when the time comes, I will replace my inkjet with a Brother model. For my color laser, it cost me about $400 to replace the black and all color carts so far. I use an extended black cartridge on the laser and my inkjets. 

I had a Brother laser printer which I got rid of as I couldn't find a replacement drum for it (it was that old). It worked fine except for that.

One note about laser printers, you cannot put them on an interruptible power supply as it will trip it every time. Most printer manufacturers will tell you that.

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply
Gone are the days when you could just fill an ink cartridge and carry on printing.
I have three HP printers and they all stopped printing shortly after being installed, that is the last one there will be in this house.
Epsom printers have a plastic wheel that has broken on printers I have had, they all appear to use the same system to drive the rollers and this is where the plastic wheel is that breaks, so avoid them as well.
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^<
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

I am just a long term user of c.p.a.p. and therefore I have some experience in using these machines and equipment.

However, I am NOT an expert, so advice given should be taken as given in good faith only and NOT medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.   Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Printers are cheap. Ink is expensive. I'm using a Canon Maxify 5820, and so far it's been a pretty good compromise. I was previously using a Brother MFC 9610 color laser, but the thing is huge, and started groaning. My main criteria is cost per page, and the HP printers and the ink subscription don't deliver.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recommendations Needed on a Printer Purchase Sleepster 2 494 01-10-2018, 12:26 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  The answer to your Computer / Software problems SuperSleeper 15 2,264 04-09-2015, 12:04 PM
Last Post: Homerec130
  [News] Doctors use 3-D printer to custom-design implant for baby ApneaNews 7 3,003 05-24-2013, 04:54 AM
Last Post: DocWils

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.