Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

HP printer problems
RE: HP printer problems
I had so many problems with an HP printer recently that I threw it down the trash chute without hesitation. I felt a burst of joy in the action.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
(06-11-2018, 09:14 PM)spameggsandspam Wrote: I had so many problems with an HP printer recently that I threw it down the trash chute without hesitation. I felt a burst of joy in the action.

Getting ready to dump my HP 8720 all-in-one. Took 45 minutes to print a Word document (2 pages) and 44 and a half minutes was sending it to the printer. The printer is hard wired to the network. The only option HP can suggest is to refresh the printer which on a Mac is another way of saying uninstall and reinstall the printer. This works for about 2 hours and then back to square one. I have the latest drivers for both of my printers. My HP laser prints perfectly and very fast. I have even swapped the network cables on the two printers, but no difference. Inkjet still takes for ever. 

No matter what program I print from, it takes for ever and this is true on both of my Macs.

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-11-2018, 09:14 PM)spameggsandspam Wrote: I had so many problems with an HP printer recently that I threw it down the trash chute without hesitation. I felt a burst of joy in the action.

Believe me I UNDERSTAND your elation.  I will be doing the same thing here shortly.
Post Reply Post Reply
A huge THANK YOU to Crimson Nape for the help, advice and patience with my HP all in one printer problems. He recommended a modest price Brother all in one printer which I've just had the pleasure of installing in my home this afternoon. Actually I've had the printer in my house, intact in the box for over a month. I've been too afraid to try to install it as I'm not tech savvy at all. However......over this weekend I saw on my Amazon account that PRIME has free movies as part of the prime package. I somehow got lucky and managed to connect my amazon prime account and our smart tv (who knew tv's were smart). I figured if I can accomplish that, maybe just maybe, I can install the Brothers printer. With my husbands help, because his eyes can read smaller print, we are both now very happy to have a working printer again. This Brother printer is far superior to the HP printer I had. I think I might even sleep better tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
I have a $20 HP inkjet printer that I bought in 2012.  I've been on the same black cartridge for 18 months. I just double-checked and it still prints well! Shy   It's a keeper.
Post Reply Post Reply
If Dante were alive today, he would devote an entire circle of hell to printers.

Glad you were able to part ways with your disappointing HP. My HP held a lot of promise, but did not live up to expectations.

At least you didn't get an Epson. The ones I had were an exercise in frustration and wasted time/money.

I've been really happy over the years with the Canons I've had with individual cartridges for each color. A lot less waste. My current model is the Canon PIXMA MX922. It's an all-in-one wireless printer, scanner/copier with duplex ADF, fax, and it even prints on CDs/DVDs/Blu-rays. Best printer I've ever had. Found them at Staples for CA$61, so I installed 3 on the home network and stored 2 in the closet for future consideration. I get a full set of 5 aftermarket replacement cartridges for CA$20.

The Brother I got for my mother served her well for several years. A good tip for any printer is to print a little something at least once every week to keep the ink from drying and clogging. At our place, it's a 4"x6" "photo of the week" selected from our ever-growing family archive.

Otherwise, for school age kids from kindergarten to graduate studies, the traditional excuse about a dog being involved in the absence of homework or a late paper has now been replaced by the ubiquitous mention of printer woes.
Post Reply Post Reply
We have also moved on from HP printers to use a Brother all-in-one. Printers in general are your network's biggest headache. BTW a former coworker of mine at the IT job I had was rumored to have hacked into the printer to make it warn users it was out of mustard or mayo. Coffee
Dave

I'm not a doctor in real or fictional life. My posts include opinions based upon user experience regarding CPAP therapy and should not be considered medically professional direction or advice. Even a 1,000 mile trip requires a good first step. My recommended first steps include getting good walking shoes, 1 great cup of coffee, and a good GPS.

Wiki Info for Beginners
Sleepyhead Chart Organization
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
I've got an HP and it works very well. My brother's 'Brother' frequently throws a hissy fit and disconnects itself from the home network.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've got the HP 8710 officejet pro, never had an issue, way more reliable than a canon or a bother (yes, the "r" is missing on purpose) wifi works great and I can print to it from anywhere using the cloud print service.
As per usual, printers are cheap, they make money on the consumables.
I needed $120 of ink for my last printer, the 8710 was on sale at $99.99 so who wouldn't by it? printer, ADF and flatbed scanner. Still working fine, and i actually spent money on ink for it!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
It seems like most Canon products give really good service be it cameras, copy machines or printers. We have had good results with Epson printers, currently using an Epson XP-440.

Our real workhorse was a HP wide format (I believe it was a 1220C) that would print 11" x 17" which we used for construction plans for many years, eventually wore two of them out but no longer need the wide format. They were exceptional for HP. Also had a very good Canon wide format at one time.

I don't plan to venture into 3D printing, my sons can do that if they want.
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
How To Attach Images And Files to your posts
Robysue's Beginner's Guide to Sleepyhead
Mask Primer

It is what it is. But, it will be what you make it.
Pat Summitt
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recommendations Needed on a Printer Purchase Sleepster 2 519 01-10-2018, 12:26 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  The answer to your Computer / Software problems SuperSleeper 15 2,302 04-09-2015, 12:04 PM
Last Post: Homerec130
  [News] Doctors use 3-D printer to custom-design implant for baby ApneaNews 7 3,024 05-24-2013, 04:54 AM
Last Post: DocWils

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.