Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

HYPOPNEA [and EPR]
HYPOPNEA [and EPR]
If someone has many HYPOPNEA wouldn't it be better to set the EPR to 3?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: HYPOPNEA
IF you are referring to EPR, my experience is that any EPR at all leads to more hypopneas, I believe that I am quite sensitive to the pressure changes, and more disturbed sleep and lots of arousals the machine sees as hypopneas.
Post Reply Post Reply
In bilevel titration, the minimum EPAP is increased to remove OA, then pressure support is increased to treat hypopnea. We are assuming obstructive hypopnea. The corollary in CPAP with the Resmed units is to use minimum pressure to treat OA and then add BOTH pressure and EPR to see if it helps hypopnea. The reason is that EPR actually lowers EPAP, and you could end up with more OA if you don't compensate. As you add 1 cm of EPR you need to add one cm of minimum pressure, and so forth. This will act like pressure support when used that way, however it is limited to 3 cm with the Autoset and other Resmed machines.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-25-2017, 01:40 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: In bilevel titration, the minimum EPAP is increased to remove OA, then pressure support is increased to treat hypopnea.  We are assuming obstructive hypopnea.  The corollary in CPAP with the Resmed units is to use minimum pressure to treat OA and then add BOTH pressure and EPR to see if it helps hypopnea.  The reason is that EPR actually lowers EPAP, and you could end up with more OA if you don't compensate.  As you add 1 cm of EPR you need to add one cm of minimum pressure, and so forth.  This will act like pressure support when used that way, however it is limited to 3 cm with the Autoset and other Resmed machines.

Sorry  but I guess this is over my head. My OA is down to 0 with  EPR at one. If I increase my EPR by 1 would I have to increase the min level by 1 also.?
(The reason is that EPR actually lowers EPAP,) This is what I don't understand. Isn't EPR just a pressure relief for exhaling?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: HYPOPNEA [and EPR]
Yes that's right
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
To maintain the same effective support for OA, Yes.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-25-2017, 03:41 PM)bonjour Wrote: To maintain the same effective support for OA, Yes.

Would this increase my support to cut  the  Hypopneas ?
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-25-2017, 02:57 PM)jerry1967 Wrote:
(09-25-2017, 01:40 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: In bilevel titration, the minimum EPAP is increased to remove OA, then pressure support is increased to treat hypopnea.  We are assuming obstructive hypopnea.  The corollary in CPAP with the Resmed units is to use minimum pressure to treat OA and then add BOTH pressure and EPR to see if it helps hypopnea.  The reason is that EPR actually lowers EPAP, and you could end up with more OA if you don't compensate.  As you add 1 cm of EPR you need to add one cm of minimum pressure, and so forth.  This will act like pressure support when used that way, however it is limited to 3 cm with the Autoset and other Resmed machines.

Sorry  but I guess this is over my head. My OA is down to 0 with  EPR at one. If I increase my EPR by 1 would I have to increase the min level by 1 also.?
(The reason is that EPR actually lowers EPAP,) This is what I don't understand. Isn't EPR just a pressure  relief for exhaling?

Hi Jerry.  Your pressure is set wide open with the minimum pressure at 5.0.  We don't know anything else in terms of what your median and 90% pressure is.  With a minimum pressure of 5.0, adding 1, 2 or 3 cm of EPR makes your minimum pressure 4.0.  If you add EPR of 3, your exhale (EPAP) pressure won't start to increase until your pressure rises to more than 7.0 cm.  Your AHI is zero with a minimum pressure of 5 and EPR at 1 and if that's working, that's great and your starting pressure is actually 5/4 (IPAP/EPAP).  The need for EPR as a comfort feature is usually tied to higher pressure.  Since your pressure is this low, I would not add additional EPR unless you also raised minimum pressure for each cm of EPR you add. 

You are currently at 5/4 with EPR at 1.  To change to EPR at 2, change minimum pressure to 6/4, and for 3 change to 7/4. That way, there is no lag in EPAP when your machine detects a need to increase pressure to prevent an obstructive event.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-25-2017, 04:04 PM)Sleeprider Wrote:
(09-25-2017, 02:57 PM)jerry1967 Wrote:

(The reason is that EPR actually lowers EPAP,) This is what I don't understand. Isn't EPR just a pressure  relief for exhaling?

Hi Jerry.  Your pressure is set wide open with the minimum pressure at 5.0.  We don't know anything else in terms of what your median and 90% pressure is.  With a minimum pressure of 5.0, adding 1, 2 or 3 cm of EPR makes your minimum pressure 4.0.  If you add EPR of 3, your exhale (EPAP) pressure won't start to increase until your pressure rises to more than 7.0 cm.  Your AHI is zero with a minimum pressure of 5 and EPR at 1 and if that's working, that's great and your starting pressure is actually 5/4 (IPAP/EPAP).  The need for EPR as a comfort feature is usually tied to higher pressure.  Since your pressure is this low, I would not add additional EPR unless you also raised minimum pressure for each cm of EPR you add. 

You are currently at 5/4 with EPR at 1.  To change to EPR at 2, change minimum pressure to 6/4, and for 3 change to 7/4.  That way, there is no lag in EPAP when your machine detects a need to increase pressure to prevent an obstructive event.
 Sleeprider those numbers are not right. Now I am at 10-15
.so if I increased the EPR by one I also have to increase the minimum by one so I would be at 11-15 right?
Post Reply Post Reply
Jerry, you can experiment with EPR at those pressures. Just remember that OA is controlled by EPAP pressure, and when you add EPR you reduce that. I would not hesitate to try a higher EPR, but if your OA rate increases, you know the reason why and how to solve that. You may have increased pressure due to flow limits or hypopnea...I don't know. There are definitely comfort and some potential therapy benefits to EPR/Pressure support.

If you were on bilevel with pressure of 10 to 15, pressure support could be added to increase IPAP. With EPR, it works in reverse, and lowers EPAP. So if we go with EPR at 2, your effective pressure range is 10/8 to 15/13. Nothing wrong with that, but be prepared to increase the minimum if necessary.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HYPOPNEA verification dataq1 22 1,153 02-06-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: dataq1
  Hypopnea - Resmed scoring Opus1 22 1,116 12-03-2023, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Opus1
  3% vs 4% Hypopnea Scoring gohoos1998 7 1,045 10-08-2023, 06:06 PM
Last Post: gohoos1998
  [Symptoms] Rolling "flutter" sensation on apnea/hypopnea, falling asleep ewriter 0 355 09-06-2023, 09:57 AM
Last Post: ewriter
  What Makes This Period of Time an Hypopnea Event? Trevor G 1 415 07-23-2023, 03:46 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  AHI versus "mean apnea–hypopnea duration" (MAD) Henrikc 1 527 03-13-2023, 11:59 AM
Last Post: pholynyk
  CPAP treatment for Hypopnea and Clear Airway silvermangb 3 1,441 10-02-2022, 03:41 AM
Last Post: pholynyk

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.