Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

HYPOPNIAS - ARE THEY CENTRAL OR OBSTRUCTIVE EVENTS?
RE: HYPOPNIAS - ARE THEY CENTRAL OR OBSTRUCTIVE EVENTS?
Probably I am responding to the leak question ineptly. I shall attach the plotted leak rate for the night as, certainly, 60 is very high.

As I understand it, there can be three sources of leak in an otherwise properly set-up system:
(1) The designed-in leak due to the purge/vent arrangement (which I understand is to flush out CO2?)
(2) Mask-to-face seal leak
(3) Leak via the mouth(!)

For me I am learning to control (3) because I am a veteran mouth-breather - last night was pretty successful.
In the old days people used to recommend mouth-breathers to tape their mouth shut but that sounds dangerous if there is a nose blockage - any comments?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1ZlKa1...sp=sharing
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-11-2015, 01:25 PM)justMongo Wrote: There is no scoring for lazy diaphragm. Except perhaps in the brass section of a band.Eat-popcorn

And, your leak rate is too high.

Haha!

Leak-rate has been re-stated, thanks.
Spotty
Post Reply Post Reply
Be careful in assuming the machine really knows what is going on when it scores an event. For example in the attached chart

the machine says I have a Hypopnia at 5:16:25 and it's assumed to occur while I was asleep. But if you look closely, my breathing pattern changed at 5:08:22. It became quicker and the shape went from flat topped to more rounded then back to flat topped and slow then rounded and faster again at 5:10:10. From careful observations of several weeks I know the faster and rounded waveform indicates I was awake and thus the breathing pattern should not be attributed to AHI.

Now if the machine had seen a 10 second gap in breathing between the slow and fast breathing patterns it would have indicated an OA or CA which caused the wake event and that would most definitely be scored in the AHI.

But, if there is a fast rounded breathing pattern with a 10 second gap it typically means I was awake and held my breath for a short period in which case it really doesn't count...

The best indicator for me that there's a problem worth looking at is if SPO2 drops at the same time as the scored event. Since I started using a machine I've eliminated drops below 85%, so I'm sure this is helping. I also haven't wanted to take a cat nap on the way into or at the office while using the machine (not quite 100% compliant due to nose bruising).

While not included in my posted chart, the SPO2 reading also shows increased saturation slightly after 5:10:10 and nothing significant at the time of the Hypopnia...
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-11-2015, 09:48 PM)cpetku Wrote: Be careful in assuming the machine really knows what is going on when it scores an event. For example in the attached chart

the machine says I have a Hypopnia at 5:16:25 and it's assumed to occur while I was asleep. But if you look closely, my breathing pattern changed at 5:08:22. It became quicker and the shape went from flat topped to more rounded then back to flat topped and slow then rounded and faster again at 5:10:10. From careful observations of several weeks I know the faster and rounded waveform indicates I was awake and thus the breathing pattern should not be attributed to AHI.

Cpetku - this kind of data presentation is extremely interesting; I had no idea the modern machines could do all this - having a way to measure the amplitude and frequency of breathing - and even the ability to look at the waveform - then, even combining this with SPO2, surely means we are very close to making the apnea/hypopnea diagnosis very reliably in the home setting. And of course nobody demonstrates their normal sleep pattern in a lab environment.

You mention hypoxia levels of "below 85%" - some experts have said such levels are extremely dangerous. From your own measurements, how low have you gone in the past?
Post Reply Post Reply
Cpetku,.

From what you have posted, I can not reliably tell if the waveform is flat topped or rounded. I am also not sure if one can reliably tell from the waveform if one is asleep or awake.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-12-2015, 12:55 AM)PaytonA Wrote: Cpetku,.

From what you have posted, I can not reliably tell if the waveform is flat topped or rounded. I am also not sure if one can reliably tell from the waveform if one is asleep or awake.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Sorry for the low res.

Flat (probable flow limitation whenever I'm asleep and muscles are relaxed)

Rounded (normal morphology: typically awake)

Also note SPO2 is increased in the "Rounded" version.

This is just my interpretation based upon an obsession with the data....
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-12-2015, 10:11 PM)cpetku Wrote:

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Sorry for the low res.

What you are displaying is what my impression of sleep (flat) and awake (rounded) flow rate patterns are. Thanks for the clarification. I saw the flat but could not make out the rounded in the other charts I was looking at. Could be my old eyes.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-12-2015, 11:08 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Thanks for the clarification.

PaytonA

So Payton sincee you asked (PM) here's the another interesting way to look at CA/OA logged events to understand how the machine scored them. Just zoom in tight on the x-axis

CA - pressure wave from machine is basically equal on both sides of the 0 reference

OA - pressure wave from machine is offset indicating a blockage

Awake CA - These should be discounted as the nervous system was not acting in a closed loop with response to C02 Levels (yes I'm an engineer)

Again this is my interpretation from looking at many wave forms very carefully and deciding what the machine is doing, not from a specification of the equipment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-12-2015, 10:11 PM)cpetku Wrote:

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Sorry for the low res.

Great info! I shall sit and relax and read for awhile today and save that graph as a baseline and see how it compares to night time. I wish I had the skill to write code that would make such a comparison for me and therefore identify awake patterns in my sleep data.
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Still tired and CA events liebano 0 9 17 minutes ago
Last Post: liebano
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 587 46 minutes ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 10 354 03-26-2024, 11:08 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,519 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,399 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 75 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 860 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.