Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hacking ResScan Report Data
Hacking ResScan Report Data
ResScan user has submitted a report from equipment or SD card as "alibi" proving person was asleep with CPAP running during the date and time of an incident being investigated.

The user is an accomplished software designer and hack so am suspicious of the report.

Please tell me how person could have manipulated data to change the date(s) and times on a report.

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hacking ResScan Report Data
In your situation I would go to the actual machine and look at the data on the LCD screen to compare to the report you were given.
There is no way to verify who used the equipment short of a video.
Post Reply Post Reply
As bwexler says, there's no way to verify exactly who was using the machine short of a video or a bed partner's eye witness testimony.

As for trying to hack the data: Easiest thing would be to reset the internal clock, which includes a calendar, if I recall. That requires getting into the clinical menu, but many savy PAPers know how to do that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi GDFdoctor,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think changing the date/time on the machine will go back and change the date/time on previous days usage (but I'm not sure on this one).

I live in EST but all the Resmed machines come with PST (3 hours off). So if the times weren't changed originally on the machine it would explain times being off 3 hours. It's pretty easy to see the trends of what time a person normally goes to sleep or gets up.

Also, the machines don't change for daylight savings time. So that would explain being off by an hour 6 months out of the year.

Or, as stated, anyone could have used the machine. Let's say I was going to break into a place at 4 AM. I could have my "partner" use my PAP that night as my alibi.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-05-2014, 11:17 AM)GDFdoctor Wrote: Please tell me how person could have manipulated data to change the date(s) and times on a report.

Note these are my opinions as a software engineer. I have no direct experience with hacking ResScan or it's data, however I have quite a bit of experience creating/editing/modifying data files for other types of equipment/processes.

#1 Easy: Have someone else use the machine. This could probably be detected by comparing breathing patterns, rates, events, etc. I don't believe it's likely any two people have identical patterns.

#2 Harder: Take an existing report (PDF?) and edit it to say what you want. This would most likely require significant medical knowledge to make it look believable.

#3 Slightly harder: Change the clock time on the machine, use normally. This may show up on the machine as a change. Not sure if the machine logs clock changes.

#4 Even harder: Learn the file format and modify the data on the SD Card

#1 Could be done by anybody. #2 requires some work. #3 requires special knowledge #4 requires even more knowledge and some slightly specialized tools.

If this involves something really big like criminal prosecution, you should probably contact the manufacturer for more detailed information. If this is really important and the manufacturer won't talk to you, there are developers who have worked with analyzing and displaying rescan data, and may be able to help you.

If this is just for insurance compliance purposes, it's unlikely that anybody would bother with much more than #1.

**edit** Didn't see this before: "The user is an accomplished software designer and hack so am suspicious of the report."

As Bama said, there would need to be a really significant reward to do this. I've been writing software since the 70's and it would take a really big incentive to get me to bother faking CPAP data. Certainly a lot more than an insurance reimbursement, which a good developer could cover in a day or maybe two. It's just not worth it.

If you can get the machine and re-export the data to a new card, it should be pretty easy to compare the two.
Post Reply Post Reply
Successfully hacking the data would be a pretty good undertaking so it would have to be a pretty substantial reward for someone to attempt it. It would be a lot easier to "hack" the data in a basic compliance report than to successfully alter a detailed report. As mentioned above the machine keeps compliance data for 365 days, summary data for 30 days, and detailed data for 7 days. All you need to do to get the data is put a blank SD card in the machine and let it write the data to the card.
Post Reply Post Reply
............ and then again, maybe the guy is innocent. Follow the money.............
Post Reply Post Reply
The patient is accused of having a third party in bed/bedroom the night of the data in question. An observer saw that no CPAP was in use and that infidelity was occurring. Patient denies infidelity or that anyone else was in the bed/bedroom; asserts that observer is mentally deranged. This report is the "proof" submitted for the divorce proceedings. Yes, there is a money issue as well as grounds for divorce.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-05-2014, 02:22 PM)GDFdoctor Wrote: The patient is accused of having a third party in bed/bedroom the night of the data in question. An observer saw that no CPAP was in use and that infidelity was occurring. Patient denies infidelity or that anyone else was in the bed/bedroom; asserts that observer is mentally deranged. This report is the "proof" submitted for the divorce proceedings. Yes, there is a money issue as well as grounds for divorce.

OK, there's an incentive then.

* Get the machine
* Export the data.
* See if it matches the report.

It's easy enough to fake the report, it's harder to fake the card data, but as far as I know, nobody but the manufacturer can fake the data that's actually in the machine.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question OK TO IMPORT SLEEP DATA FROM OLD SD CARD INTO OSCAR W/O MESSING UP CURRENT DATA? Plmnb 1 77 Today, 01:07 AM
Last Post: Ibrumley
  ResScan 7 help! [password issues] DakotaNorth 2 93 03-26-2024, 12:42 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Cannot import data from ResMed Astral 150 to ResScan or OSCAR BreatheEZ 8 2,336 03-16-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  Does ResScan delete detailed logs/records from the SD card after downloading them? Determinism 5 179 03-15-2024, 05:40 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Field map Oscar report fields to MyAir fields jim62 1 160 03-06-2024, 07:38 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  ResScan 7.1 nawolfor 2 374 02-26-2024, 10:29 PM
  NOTICE: ResScan 7.1 Software now available [for ResMed machines only] SuperSleeper 0 433 02-26-2024, 10:27 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.