Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Had a extremely vivid dream about becoming a sleep technologist :D
Had a extremely vivid dream about becoming a sleep technologist :D
I've been on CPAP for 3 and a half months - was a complete disaster until last weekend. After trying 6-7 new masks, chin strap, new pillow - I finally found the magic combo that works for me. Today was the third night I managed to keep the mask on during the whole night and without it feeling like a big deal. So things are finally starting to seem positive. 

Like most people here, I got diagnosed and after that had almost no help from the sleep doctors, had one call back from them since then ( for which I waited a month for ). Super frustrating that we have to basically deal with this on our own and depend on other people online instead of our doctors. 

Last night I had a really vivid dream about getting re-educated and becoming a sleep technologist. Im in my early 30s, got a nice career in IT without much stress which pays well but I am not passionate about what I do. So after this dream I actually checked how this would work in Europe and it doesnt seem to be impossible, you dont need a proper degree for it. 

I dont think that I would actually do it, since it wouldnt pay as much as my job and since it would require night shifts. But did anyone do this ? Because we feel that this field of medicine isnt that well represented I guess there might be others which wanted to get more involved and help?
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
RE: Had a extremely vivid dream about becoming a sleep technologist :D
Good questions. I think that a possible outcome may be that we know too much, and with the accompanying success rates, we'd be blacklisted as frauds. Because opposite day rules in the field of practicing on apnea patients.
Dave

OSCAR
Standard OSCAR Chart Order
Mask Primer
Dealing With A DME
Soft Cervical Collar Wiki
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd say go ahead and explore it - and do what you enjoy without regard for "how much does it pay?".

You might want to contact a local sleep center and see if you can "sit in" or "shadow" a sleep tech on an overnight sleep study study in a sleep lab, just to see what it's like.  You may find out you don't like it at all, or that you love that type of work.

There is more to life than getting a nice paycheck.  Do what you love and the rest will follow.

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

#apneaboard
Post Reply Post Reply
There are two ways to look at this. A sleep study technician gets to run a sleep test, following protocols and produce a report, 90% of which is automatically generated. There is an opportunity to insert your observations that may be part of the physician findigs and recommendations. Respiratory therapists are in the unenviable position of executing doctor's orders, documenting compliance and trying to keep uncomfortable people on-track with therapy, without any real power to do anything to improve it. It ends up being assembly-line work with productivity measured in numbers of tests, screenings, appointments and sometimes sales of inferior equipment to increase profit margin. You get to stand on the front-line and take all the stress and complaints, while being constrained to enforcing orders from a doctor that is always right. Sounds like a tough life to me. Go read some Glassdoor reviews on these jobs before signing up.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
Or you can learn all that and start a self help forum, where you suggest actions and can see people really benefiting from the suggestions given.
Fred Bonjour - Project Manager and Lead Tester for OSCAR - Open Source CPAP Analysis Reporter 
OSCAR

Download OSCAR
New to Apnea? Helpful tips to ensure success
Soft Cervical Collar
Mask Primer
Dealing with a DME
Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-27-2020, 08:34 PM)bonjour Wrote: Or you can learn all that and start a self help forum, where you suggest actions and can see people really benefiting from the suggestions given.

Hmm... now there's a concept.    Grin

Actually helping people directly, completely bi-passing the medical mafia establishment....   sounds a bit risky to me.   Whistle
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

#apneaboard
Post Reply Post Reply
Haha I like the direction in which this conversation went. I think that I will put some time into installing the damn software for my CPAP machine and first learn how to read those properly. I have a Prisma SMART and the software which I found here is for some reason not installing properly on my laptop.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
Why not aim high and become a sleep medicine dr? Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-02-2020, 10:11 PM)thed00d Wrote: Why not aim high and become a sleep medicine dr?  Smile

haha, I cant imagine having to basically go to high school and uni again. sounds like a nightmare !
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.