Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Had an emergency. Heart went into abnormal rhythm due to leaks/OA's. Vent. Beigeminy
Had an emergency. Heart went into abnormal rhythm due to leaks/OA's. Vent. Beigeminy
Early this morning, woke up around 5am. Didn't feel quite right, saw my machine showed RED FACE with leaks. I took my thyroid medicine, laid back down for awhile. Around 6am woke up again with crazy palpitations, sweaty clamy palms, and my heart beating extra beats unevenly. Felt like I was going to pass out or have a major anixety/panic attack.

I checked if I was in AFIB with my Kardia Mobile device, and it showed an abnormal rhythm. Called 911. By the time they got to my house, EKG was normal again, but I showed them my EKG at the ER, and doctor said I definitely had extra beats happening. called ventricular bigeminy.  Basically pre or post extra beats. Doctor said usually not serious, at least right now.

Issue is, I didn't check my BIPAP machine before I went to the ER, to see what happened. When I got home, I checked it, and it showed massive leaking again, and in the leaks, I had a lot of UA's, which i suspect are OA's. My oximeter also showed oxygen fluctuating during this time, up and down.

This is the second time I've had this happen recently. I have an AFIB condition, take medicine for it, but this sleep apena I need to get under control.
This is very scary! Usually my AHI is <2 with no issues and no leaks. 

I'm going today to see my cardiologist and also to my sleep doctor to try another mask. I sent everything to my sleep doctor, but i suspect he will say all looks good with that low of an AHI.

[attachment=8683]

.pdf   oxygen.pdf (Size: 392.08 KB / Downloads: 40)

ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto
Pressure EPAP min 4.4, IPAP 8.4, IPAP Max 18, PS 4.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Had an emergency. Heart went into abnormal rhythm due to leaks/OA's. Vent. Beigeminy
So my cardiologist doesn't think it was anything serious. I showed him the EKG. I told him, well...it felt serious enough to call 911.

I went to my sleep doctor and picked up a different mask to try. ResMed Quattro FX. I don't quite like the silicon since I've had issues with it rubbing my skin to blister and bleed in the past. Especially my nose. But I need to try something. I also picked up a new cushion for the F20 just in case.
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Had an emergency. Heart went into abnormal rhythm due to leaks/OA's. Vent. Beigeminy
For the nose rubbing, or ANY skin irritation that might be caused by your PAP apparatus, try a 'barrier' cream.  Ask the druggist about a cream that won't dissolve skin, silicone masks, plastic headgear, pillow cases...…..  There actually is a cream labeled "Barriere Cream" under the brand "Wellskin."  I have used it with great success, but fortunately only had to use it the one time, early in my treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Some folk have had success with using mask liners. Look at Supplier #1 and type in mask liners in the search box.

These liners help protect the skin and also have been known to help with leaks.

Myron, they are a bit pricey, but with all the issues you have with mask fit and leaks, it may be something to consider.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-05-2018, 10:22 PM)MyronH Wrote: I went to my sleep doctor and picked up a different mask to try. ResMed Quattro FX. I don't quite like the silicon since I've had issues with it rubbing my skin to blister and bleed in the past. Especially my nose. But I need to try something. I also picked up a new cushion for the F20 just in case.

If you had blisters and bleeding from silicone, it wasn't because it was 'rubbing' your skin, it's because you have a mild silicone allergy.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-06-2018, 11:59 AM)crowtor Wrote:
(10-05-2018, 10:22 PM)MyronH Wrote: I went to my sleep doctor and picked up a different mask to try. ResMed Quattro FX. I don't quite like the silicon since I've had issues with it rubbing my skin to blister and bleed in the past. Especially my nose. But I need to try something. I also picked up a new cushion for the F20 just in case.

If you had blisters and bleeding from silicone, it wasn't because it was 'rubbing' your skin, it's because you have a mild silicone allergy.

The AirFit mask I first tried, I had to tighten a lot. Maybe I overtightened and it caused the irritation and bleeding. It was bad enough that I had to wear a bandaid on my nose so the silicone wouldn't rub it. 

My AirTouch mask is more comfortable  But the damn thing leaks sporadically. Some nights it's okay. Other nights I get major leaks and then it causes a heart condition in me.
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto

Post Reply Post Reply
Read that last night, coming up next spring for those who might want this check: Rheabrio / facembrace.  

Bag-head    snorybob.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-06-2018, 01:03 PM)snorybob Wrote: Read that last night, coming up next spring for those who might want this check: Rheabrio / facembrace.  

Bag-head    snorybob.

Interesting device. I doubt it would solve any leaks. Also looks like it won't work with full face masks. I can't use nasal masks since I breathe thru my mouth even when I use a chin strap tightened down. 
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto

Post Reply Post Reply
From what I've read it will be good for people with silicone allergy, redness, prevent strap mark & air leaks in the eyes. It looks like they have the model for the nasal mask ready, that the pillow & ffm will come later on next spring.  

For myself, I have enough things on my face & my head (mask, tape, collar, headgear) I'm gone try to avoid it!    Too-funny 

Bag-head   snorybob.
Post Reply Post Reply
I may try my soft cervical collar tonight. I haven't worn it in months. Does anyone think those runs of multiple OA's could be a positional issue with my neck?

I use an ergonomic neck pillow, and lay on my back. When I wake up in middle of night, I never hear any leaking and I'm still on my back, with my head exactly in the same position as when I went to sleep. So I'm wondering how these multiple OA's are happening in the first place?
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with adjustments post open heart valve replacement SistineKid 2 91 04-20-2024, 03:30 PM
Last Post: SistineKid
Gross EVIDENCE OF AIRFIT P10 VENT OBSTRUCTION CAUSING HYPERCAPNIA mdmarmd 140 35,853 04-20-2024, 09:02 AM
Last Post: backdoc
  Here to vent Razorpoke 6 180 04-17-2024, 09:48 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Does abnormal breathing trigger an elevated heart rate? Or vice versa. G. Szabo 14 393 04-15-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 8 462 04-09-2024, 11:43 PM
Last Post: QT Pie
Question Any thoughts on why my heart rate increases when using CPAP? hejohoo 3 966 04-08-2024, 09:59 AM
Last Post: hejohoo
  Heart Failure with Sleep Apnea kwhenrykerr 2 226 04-02-2024, 07:48 PM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.