Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Had my first follow up with sleep doctor.
Had my first follow up with sleep doctor.
Howdy,

I had my first follow up since getting cpap machine.

Doc downloaded some report from the machine. It was identical to the summary page from sleepyhead. 

He asked me what I thought. 

We talked about my therapy. He was impressed with my therapy changes and congratulationed me on troubleshooting my problems which arguably were nothing thanks to you all. 

Asked if I was having issues. 

I told him Dme was saying my insurance wouldn't cover mask cusions and pillows. He got a little upset (at them) and said you should have both a full face mask and a nasal mask per my orders and they need new parts regularly. 

He copied the orders which are very specific on replacement schedule (Medicare guidelines although I'm not on medicare) and gave me them. 

Looks like I'm going to have an interesting discussion with the Dme. 

Sleep doc thanked me for coming in set a follow-up for 6 months. 

Anthony
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Had my first follow up with sleep doctor.
Congratulations! Sounds like it went really well. Dealing with the DME should be a breeze with the order in hand. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-14-2017, 07:31 PM)dracus Wrote: Doc downloaded some report from the machine. It was identical to the summary page from sleepyhead. 

Actually identical, or just the same data? I would think the doc would be printing the ResScan summary page.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
He did print the summary page. The data matched I mean.

Sleep hours, AHI, compliance data etc.

It wasn't litterally the same page.
Post Reply Post Reply
Call your insurance company and ask them what they cover. I'll bet your DME is correct. Doesn't matter what the Dr. orders. Each insurance can vary on what they cover.
Post Reply Post Reply
Congrats on your doctor interaction! Yes, I agree, your insurance company may only cover ONE mask per 6 months no matter what your doc wrote on there. My prescription covers both masks I switch between, but Medicare covers only one at a time. It was so difficult to get supplies for one for a few months and then supplies for the other, I figured out what I would pay (20%) and bought extras of the Wisp and let the DME/Medicare supply the Dreamwear stuff. Make sure you get a copy of the prescription. It might be cheaper for you to get one of them through an online supplier.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi dracus,
It's great to hear that your appointment went so well, keep up the good work.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Good to hear positive things and on track
Post Reply Post Reply
If your insurance doesn't cover mask and cushions, they don't cover mask and cushions. Nothing in your doc's prescription is going to change that. It's actually pretty common for an insurance company to cover the machine but not the supplies. If that is the case, then seek an online retailer, buy from Amazon, Ebay, Craigslist, etc. But, before you do that, ask if your DME will match (or closely match) an online retailer's prices. You'd be surprised how many will today, although some absolutely will not budge on it. Use the Medicare listing as a guideline. You will find that most of that stuff will be useful long past the 'recommendeded replacement'.

I use two different masks, but buy all the mask parts for the one and let Medicare get the more expensive one. It's an absolute hassle to keep trying to switch between the two.
Post Reply Post Reply
Going to get the Dme to send a prior authorization.

The insurance company says "we cover all medically necessary equipment"

Currently I bought my latest ffm airtouch f20 retail but replacement cushion is $60 supposed to be replaced monthly.

My other mask is p10 supposed to be replaced every 2 weeks. The pillows though are only $20.

I'm sure I can stretch the nasal pillows a lot longer than 2 weeks. Not so sure on the memory foam.

The doctor wrote order for standard medicare replacement. Also wrote that I get both a nasal and ffm. The Dme only provided me one mask.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My doctor suggested patience Annecelesye 26 3,730 03-23-2024, 03:02 AM
Last Post: Annecelesye
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 166 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 209 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [split] Doctor won't help improve Vauto settings JohnCondor 7 527 02-19-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Doctor switched my wife over to an ASV machine, it has doubled her AHI MaybeTowelie 18 934 12-21-2023, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Most Informtive Metrics To Send To Doctor BlueSky1958 3 331 12-17-2023, 09:59 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.