Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Had to STOP APAP
Had to STOP APAP
Had to stop using APAP machine after developing gum damage on my left canine tooth. Went off APAP for two days to let my gums heal.
Currently on my 234 day of APAP and have had pretty good results with AHI between 0.48 and 6, most nights AHI is below 2.

As with most users struggled with mask leaks. My solution (I thought) was to tighten mask straps but this resulted in sores on the skin above my left canine and eventually damage to gums.

After letting gums heal for two days loosened all mask straps and adjusted so mask was sitting only lightly on my face. (especially avoiding any pressure on left canine).

The result was the longest sleep using APAP (7h 45m) with AHI 1.92. No dry mouth only 11 CA, 2 OA, 2 H. Note usually have NO OA's which indicates A10 managing my apneas.

There seems to be two camps on the forum ... keep straps on tightly or very loose. I'm now in the camp for keeping mask on lightly

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Had to STOP APAP
I don't think there are a lot of advocates of tight straps that cause irritation or deform the skin. Glad you're back on air. If you want even less facial pressure, try the nasal pillows. The Airfit P10 doesn't even have strap buckles and is intended for a light fit.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Tighter straps, at least for me, are an accommodation to higher pressures that push the edges of the silicone out instead of against the skin. They are not to try and make a fundamentally poor fitting mask stop leaking. And tight enough to cause discomfort or sores is just plain old too darn tight. If you need it that tight to stop leaks, then you have the wrong mask for your face.
Post Reply Post Reply
My mouth has always been dry after a night on APAP. At first assumed I must be mouth breather but later found lips tightly sealed and air escaping (even though my max pressure is 11.8). Learnt to keep my tongue at top of my mouth. I tried many different full facial masks but all leaked badly so went back to my F&P 405. Last night was a big surprise as don't recall a night without a dry mouth.

Sleeprider ... thought nasal pillows might be the answer but don't like anything near my nostrils so have avoided nasal pillows so far..

From last night it appears the straps work best not being tight on the 405. Tonight will test that assumption.

thanks for your responses
Post Reply Post Reply
Roy, my brother uses the same mask as you and even with a beard, he doesn't make his straps that tight. What he found instead was to use a Walgreen's sleep mask to adjust the angle of the mask which eliminated the leaks. So, he puts the mask part over the end, without covering the holes, and then around his head. It's an extra step, but it reduced his leaks considerably.
Post Reply Post Reply
Using the Walgreen sleep mask to aid adjustment of the 405 sounds like novel solution. I'll check our Shoppers Drug store for similar product. (No Walgreen in my area in Canada). One of the ffm (Respironics Amara ffm) I tried had an integrated adjustment built into the mask frame that allowed adjustment of the mask angle to the face. The F&P 405 has a number of nice design features, many which have been included in the new masks such as F&P Forma.

thanks for the suggestion
Post Reply Post Reply
Update: Last night had an AHI of 2.4 over 8h 34m using mask. Lot of major leaks (10.74% of time) with one major for 28min. Woke up without my usual very dry mouth. Must make some small strap adjustment.

Long term may try a ffm, likely the F&P Forma if my DME has it in stock.
Post Reply Post Reply
F&P Simplus gets good reviews. It is work a look unless you want the under the chin aspect.
Post Reply Post Reply
Chill

Thanks for suggestion. There is a number of good reviews on the Simplus on the mask review forum. I tried one on at my DME and there were lots of leaks so DME moved me onto the Quattro Air. I noticed you use both Eson and Simplus. How do you like them?
Post Reply Post Reply
I really like both of them. I had to stop using the Eson for the time being as my brilliant brain decided that opening my mouth while asleep was a good idea. And this after months on CPAP! My wife says that I am just as smart when awake. I have used the Simplus to a pressure of 16, but the straps need to me a lot tighter than they did at 10-12. It is still comfortable and the leak rate is very low.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 90 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 374 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 577 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 440 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,427 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,152 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 590 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.