Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Handle Full Fask Mask With Care
Handle Full Fask Mask With Care
It took me a bit to learn to handle my full face mask with care.  For about two years, I had insurance that would not cover PAP supplies.  I learned to be more gentle with it so as not to destroy it in my sleep as I was on my own nickle for replacement.  In the course of learning not to abuse my mask in my sleep, I learned to sleep better.  I don't thrash around so much and have a better sleep.

I use an Ultra Mirage Full Face Mask.  It's what my HMO assigned.  I keep using it because it's easy to find parts at discount, especially third party (Craigslist, eBay, etc).  I learned not to toss a used mask because there are a lot of ancillary parts that can be salvaged.

With the head gear, the Velcro gets tired before the head gear itself.  I learned to align the tabs more accurately, especially when I adjust when I'm more out than awake.  I don't wash the head gear.  It wears it out too fast.

The part that's easily broken on my Ultra Mirage is the forehead bar.  The part is about $25, which is almost the same as 20% copay for the whole mask.  But if on your own, it's worth it.  I learned not to drop it, asleep or awake. Dropping it can break the swivel.  I learned to be very careful about adjusting the angle when I have the mask donned.  If too tight, the forehead bar swivel will snap.  I broke about 3 or 4 bars before I got smart.

I learned to get cushions third party.  I wash the mask except the headgear once a week unless I'm coughing all night. Then I will also wash it then.  Washing it makes the cushion supple until it wears out.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry Waking Up with CPAP, Not Getting Full Nights Rest. What Settings to Change? xgrea40 3 325 04-01-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: jcp519
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 664 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 17,057 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 759 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 450 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 512 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  Low o2 with full face mask Eabhainn 2 293 02-09-2024, 10:43 AM
Last Post: ItsComplicated

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.