Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Handling and cleaning CPAP machine
RE: Handling and cleaning CPAP machine
I use one of my synthetic shaving brushes that is very soft, and doesn't have a problem with any microbes living in it like a natural hair shaving brush does. This brush is small, 24mm, and easy to hold. It reaches into any nooks and crannies much better than a tooth brush. By the way, this brush only cost me about $6 , and should last for years.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-17-2019, 07:54 AM)Freddavey Wrote: I use one of my synthetic shaving brushes that is very soft, and doesn't have a problem with any microbes living in it like a natural hair shaving brush does. This brush is small, 24mm, and easy to hold. It reaches into any nooks and crannies much better than a tooth brush. By the way, this brush only cost me about $6 , and should last for years.

I forgot to mention, I use either Ivory liquid soap or baby shampoo, and soak  everything in a basin for five to ten minutes to clean my equipment, and on occasion I add a little distilled white vinegar, about once a week, but the mask and humidifier get washed every morning.
Post Reply Post Reply
I always felt soaking your hose in soapy water just didn't seem adequate. Now what I do is put a little dawn in it and take it into the shower with me. Holding one end with my thumb I fill it about 1/2 full with water and then hold both ends with thumbs and swish it back and forth.  Then rinse by holding up to the shower head. To try I just hang it over the shower head.
Post Reply Post Reply
BTW, Hello from Central AZ.  aka "the valley of da Sun"
Since distilled water is so cheap, i'd stick with that.  You are only seeing the scale that can develop in the tank and not what might be building up on the inside abysses of your machineSmile
I agree that all you really need to do is let it dry out every few days.  We have the advantage in AZ of usually low humidity.
Post Reply Post Reply
I doubt any mineral scale can build up in the machine for two reasons. 1)The air flow is unidirectional, from the machine to the humidifier. 2)Very little, if any, water is aerosolized from the humidifier reservoir. Humidification is by evaporation and minerals are left behind in the reservoir.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-09-2019, 11:23 AM)Melman Wrote: I doubt any mineral scale can build up in the machine for two reasons. 1)The air flow is unidirectional, from the machine to the humidifier. 2)Very little, if any, water is aerosolized from the humidifier reservoir. Humidification is by evaporation and minerals  are left behind in the reservoir.

Good to know, cause I plan on continuing to use tap water.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree about the tub being kinda difficult to remove.

To clean it, I do as others say (dump, rinse, reuse). But if I feel a slime building up, then I do need to scrub it; and I use a fluffy microfiber cloth, which can get the corners and curves of it without me having to work hard at it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,372 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  Cleaning F20/F30 QuietAir Elbow 70sSanO 13 5,781 04-12-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: Magoo905
  Cleaning the Airsense machine itself (not the mask, tube, chamber)? dharma2255 3 158 04-10-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: dharma2255
  Which machine to get for initial self treatment - Auto CPAP vs. BIPAP ST MVoltaire 8 228 04-04-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Using CPAP machine to perform Sleep test ivan007 3 153 04-02-2024, 03:28 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 188 03-27-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 404 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.