Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Love the stability that ASV mode (not AS Auto) provides
RE: Love the stability that ASV mode (not ASV Auto) provides..
"......What makes you think you struggle with inhaling when PSmin is less than 5......"

That a trick question?:-)
Because I tested the settings at less than 5
Post Reply Post Reply
Resmed suggests its maximum settings in ASV mode at Ps Min-Max 3-15 and an EPAP of 5 (that calculates to an IPAP max of 20)
My settings are 5-10 and and EPAP of 4 (IPAP max of 14)
Anything higher will wake me up (Arousals)
anything lower than 5 min, and I think I am struggling with inhale a bit (has taken me a long time to even get used to wearing the mask after trying the entire range of Resmed and DW masks).
Ps min of 5 provides the best comfort for me.
Remember breathing is extremely individual (which is why ASV models are absolutely necessary).
Breath rate of only 10 (like me) is low on the scale of normal breathing and I have had that ever since I remember as a kid in summer camp when grown ups used to wake me up often to make sure I was breathing:-)
In general if CPAP therapy provides great sleep and keeps oxygen levels up, then it is doing its job.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-21-2021, 06:57 PM)S. Manz Wrote: "......What makes you think you struggle with inhaling when PSmin is less than 5......"

That a trick question?:-)
Because I tested the settings at less than 5

I was hoping you would think deeper rather than just think I am playing games with you...

Why do you think you struggle to inhale at normal pressure support levels? Why do you need more ventilatory support than 90% of people with sleep apnea (and probably 99% of people with only central apnea)?

Do you have nasal congestion issues? Do you have lung issues? Do you think you have restricted airways? Are you overweight? Do you struggle to breath after walking up stairs, exercising etc? Do you snore or have any other potential signs of an additional obstructive or restrictive breathing issue? If the answer is no to all of these I don't understand why you need 5 cm PSmin.

You have been adamant you only have central apnea and your data appears to indicate that PSmin of 5 cm is too high, is inducing central apnea and lowering treatment efficacy. I am just trying to understand what substantiates the use of a setting that is contradictory to your primary sleep disorder and appears to be suboptimal. 

One thing to consider is that comfort while awake does not necessarily mean ideal settings once asleep. Our respiratory effort and requirements change during sleep and your settings should be set to treat the 8 hrs of sleep not the 5 mins prior to falling asleep. Ideal central apnea settings may not be the most comfortable awake settings.

Anyways I think I have beyond made my point and it is up to you how to proceed. If your results are great and you are happy with them then ignore my thoughts. If still looking for some improvement trying a lower PSmin (even say 4) is the only thing I believe will help.
Post Reply Post Reply
"....Do you have nasal congestion issues? Do you have lung issues? Do you think you have restricted airways? Are you overweight? Do you struggle to breath after walking up stairs, exercising etc? Do you snore or have any other potential signs of an additional obstructive or restrictive breathing issue? If the answer is no to all of these I don't understand why you need 5 cm PSmin...."

Bearing in mind that none of that is any of your business and you don't really "have" to understand why i need a ps min of 5 instead of 4 since you are just a troll online and not my doctor, let me ask you a question:
How do you come up with so much BS?:-)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Love the stability that ASV mode (not AS Auto) provides
Fascinating

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You are right, I am not your doctor that you admitted to not listening to as well. Glad you learned everything there is to know in your 2 months here.

Good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh my....I read your profile and it looks like you may do well dusting off your Dreamstation ASV and fire it back up.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Difference between S-Mode and VAUTO mode - Aircurve MrIvanDrago 3 251 02-27-2024, 02:28 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Anyone with head strap padding they love? UKFan643 1 257 02-02-2024, 06:01 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 585 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  UARS - New User - Would Love Some Advice kaelin 3 530 12-25-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  [CPAP] CPAP in Silent Mode and Mask Useful life meaning aconti 5 459 12-17-2023, 01:45 PM
Last Post: aconti
  Changed my mother over to APAP Mode: Phaleronic 2 382 12-11-2023, 05:17 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Negative for OSA - Would love some advice duude 2 384 11-29-2023, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.