Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hans Rudolph Full Face Mask
RE: Hans Rudolph Full Face Mask
Thanks for the review -- sounds good should I need something like that.

(01-08-2014, 02:58 PM)brianwood619 Wrote: forgot to mention, this only covers the nose and the mouth, not the entire face to the forehead

I appreciate your clarification about this FFM, since I keep biting my tongue (or keyboard) on this nomenclature.

OFF TOPIC FOLLOWS -- FEEL FREE TO IGNORE Smile

And thanks for the opportunity for me to vent at the equipment manufacturers' mis-definition.

The entire CPAP industry is WRONG.

What is called a "Full Face Mask" (FFM) in CPAP is really an "Oral Nasal mask".

They have been called that for decades in other industries, e.g., aviation and diving or other pressure work.

FFM SHOULD have been used just to refer to something that covers the eyes, nose, and mouth and not to a nose/mouse only mask.

The reason this is not just a pedantic point is that this leave no good name to refer to a TRUE FFM -- and so clarifications must be added to delineate one type of FFM (oral nasal) from the other type (true FFM.)

Don't worry about this folks if you use the term for an oral-nasal because that has already become the defacto (mis)definition.

It just bugs me. Oh-jeez

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
It bugs me too Herb!
I understand it, but I still don't like it.
We've always either called them Oral/Nasal or Half Mask! Full Face masks are just that. They cover your whole face!

Off soap box now. Back to your regularly scheduled CPAP discussions. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
:THANKS: Bama
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

Post Reply Post Reply
The entire CPAP industry is WRONG.

What is called a "Full Face Mask" (FFM) in CPAP is really an "Oral Nasal mask".

They have been called that for decades in other industries, e.g., aviation and diving or other pressure work.

I have to agree , Someone screwed up calling it a full face mask then cover it up calling what the rest of us a FFM as a Total face mask . Ya know I was about ready to try and convert a MSA SCBA mask to a cpap mask only had to work out the vent system even had the manometer and flow meter ready to match my Respironics fit life TFM mask . then I figured out I could keep my mouth shut .
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I'm guilty as charged because that's what I have called it since I was diagnosed. I don't think I could tolerate one of those masks that cover your entire face, that would be all kinds of weird.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-24-2014, 04:14 PM)herbm Wrote: Don't worry about this folks if you use the term for an oral-nasal because that has already become the defacto (mis)definition.

It just bugs me. Oh-jeez

Welcome to the club Herbm! I have always believed in "Say what you mean and mean what you say!". Of course that has gotten me in trouble on more than one occasion because it is not PC! LOL!

Mike
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
brianwood619,

You are NOT guilty -- that is what the silly VENDORS call it and thus what everyone who buys these things call them as well.

My peeve is toward those who STARTED this.

(In this same category, are the news people on the cable news shows who RUINED the term "begging the question" which did NOT mean "to ask for the question to be asked." It meant, "to beg off or AVOID answering the question" and since there is no other good term for that, it ruined this useful phrase.

Also, the term "clip" being used for the "Magazine" of a firearm -- likely almost everyone here would use this incorrectly since it has become such a popular misuse -- however it ruins the word "clip" since that actually means something else for which there is no other good word.

Magazine == box that holds ammunition and is inserted into the firearm
Clip == is a mechanism that "clips" the ammunition together and is used to INSERT the ammo into the firearm -- usually the clip is a "stripper clip" which means the clip doesn't even go into the firearm but the ammo is stripped off at the time of loading rather than when firing.

:SIGH:
)

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-24-2014, 10:26 PM)herbm Wrote: Magazine == box that holds ammunition and is inserted into the firearm

That's not a magazine, this is a magazine: Bigwink

[Image: GA-tabletmag.png]

...or maybe that's a magazine about magazines?.. Eat-popcorn
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-24-2014, 03:35 PM)brianwood619 Wrote: I originally ordered the mask in a small and after three weeks of using it thought it may be the wrong size so I ordered the medium. Once i tried the medium i realized the small was the right size because is started to have more leaks, some that would wake me up and others i found out about on my machine. According to the manufacturer most adults will take a small. just food for thought.

Hehehe....Brian, I know what you're talking about, but in my case, I'm pretty sure I'll need the medium. I'm a bigger guy and usually wear XL masks. Unofficially, that would put me in a medium (typically two sizes smaller than others sizing).

Their official sizing guide puts me on the smaller side of medium...hence the trial of the small...but with my wider face, it pulls the nose down a hair (probably the one issue with a fully pliable mask that can be both a blessing and a curse). It could also be that the thermoplastic version is a little less forgiving.

I'll see if I can get my hands on a 6600 in medium and confirm. Smile
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
well I just changed masks as of last night, my son got a new mask, I tried it and liked it.....last night was awesome, no leaks, cloud soft seal, sleepyhead reports no leaks through the night, and i can sleep on my side with no issues. It is the F&P Simplus. Very nice mask, very simple mask too.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 513 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,581 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 696 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 394 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 445 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
Angry [Health] I have to tighten my mask so badly that my face gets puffy... CantSleepWell 10 594 02-11-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Neck, face pain relef/exercises Weegie 0 168 02-11-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Weegie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.