Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

No heat from ResMed S9 H5i humidier
No heat from ResMed S9 H5i humidier
I just received a new climateline heated hose for my S9. In the past few weeks I have noticed that the air was pretty chilly, so I have cranked up the heat to 76 F. There was no change. So since it was time to replace the hose anyway I purchased a new hose with the hope that my old hose was just shot. It may be shot, but I am not getting any better result with the new hose.

I have checked the connections as best as I can. I can't determine what the issue is.

I have to assume that it is one of the two units, either the S9 or the H5i humidifier.

Manual does not have troubleshooting guide - so no help there.

Any ideas which it might be?

BTW I have had this unit since October 2013.

EDIT:

I should have mentioned that 74 F for me is pretty hot, so I expected to see some results from that.

Well I just turned it up to 86 F which is the max temp for this unit. I can feel warmer air and a slight warmth on the hose. But at that temp it should feel almost scorching. Some I think something is still not correct.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: No heat from ResMed S9 H5i humidier
This is just a guess but the ambient temperature in your house is probably around 72 degrees. Air that is passing through the CPAP will increase in temperature from compression. This could cause the output temperature to exceed your setting which would negate any additional heat requirements. How are you measuring the temperature? It would probably be better to raise your temp setting to about 86 degrees or higher and try breathing with unit for a few minutes. You'll soon realize if the unit is working or not.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
At 84 F my Climateline hose feels barely warm which is about the way it should feel. I believe that skin temp is warmer than that and things do not feel warm until they are warm in comparison to the skin you are feeling it with. At least that is my take on it.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I keep my place around 65 F. I live in the Pacific NW and it does not get much colder that 28 F at its coldest during the winter.

When the unit was new I could not stand to have the temp on the unit greater than 70 F. It was just to hot for me.

I am basing my temps of the settings screen.
Post Reply Post Reply
76 F is not on the high side, temp can go as high as 86 F (30 C)
I set mine on auto at 23C (74F), bit higher on colder nights

when you attach the climate line, the screen display a message read something like "climate line enabled"

try warm-up mode, heat the water before going to bed

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-11-2014, 11:24 PM)sgearhart Wrote: ...Air that is passing through the CPAP will increase in temperature from compression...

Please.

The air through a XPAP is hardly "compressed" at all. You would be lucky to get a temp rise of 0.1 degree from that, and you'd probably get more simply from the friction of the air as it goes through the system.

Physics 101.

Blow up a balloon. Does it get warm? Not at all. And from some of the silly tests reported here, a CPAP can't even blow up a balloon, and that is without the pressure relief valve in a typical mask, which lowers the pressure inside the system.

As for the OP, turn up the humidifier as far as you can. Then take the tub out and feel the warming plate. If it does not feel warmer than ambient temp, its not working; circuit probably opened up somewhere, maybe there is even a fuse on the circuit board somewhere.

The only workaround is to use hot water, which will at least give you some humidity for a half-hour or so.
Post Reply Post Reply
My S9 with climateline came set by default to 70 something (- I think...) and auto humidity. It felt very cold to me, and I hate cold air (and yet I live in Oregon....) I also probably need the humidity on the higher side for sinus issues and so I just kept turning mine up until at 85 It hit some kind of threshold - probably humidity, because I felt like I was in a swamp. Turned it down to 84 and been comfy since. Tempted to try it warmer again.... turn off auto hiumidity... maybe on the weekend Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-12-2014, 12:59 AM)DariaVader Wrote: My S9 with climateline came set by default to 70 something (- I think...) and auto humidity. It felt very cold to me, and I hate cold air (and yet I live in Oregon....) I also probably need the humidity on the higher side for sinus issues and so I just kept turning mine up until at 85 It hit some kind of threshold - probably humidity, because I felt like I was in a swamp. Turned it down to 84 and been comfy since. Tempted to try it warmer again.... turn off auto hiumidity... maybe on the weekend Big Grin

That is interesting. 84 is exactly where I ended up. I may go back up to 85 but there is not much water left at the end of the night and I am a little anal about running out of water. I did it a number of times with my previous S8 VPAP and it was a very unhappy experience every time.

I am absolutely loving the Climateline. It is a fairly new experience for me. I ended up buying my own Climateline tubing and 3 piece water tank and have been very happy with both investments.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Soft Cervical Collar and Heat Retention Columbiabill 3 370 01-21-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Gross [Equipment] HELP! Heat & Humidity settings are Choking Me! James87 3 372 12-21-2023, 11:00 AM
Last Post: James87
  eson2 mask and heat tubing kerm007 2 403 10-07-2023, 02:56 PM
Last Post: kerm007
  Travel PAP machines - heat/moisture exchange units - do they work? Bostonsnow 1 752 06-10-2023, 06:34 AM
Last Post: cate1898
  [Equipment] Can cpap hose/tube be heat disinfected Barefooter64 5 735 08-12-2021, 05:23 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Why I hate MyAir more than the heat of 1000 suns! cathyf 29 3,413 08-07-2021, 10:58 PM
Last Post: SevereApnea
  [CPAP] Heat Moisture Exchanger (HME) for Z1Travel CPAP machine cykoek 10 9,288 06-03-2019, 02:40 AM
Last Post: linnyKravitz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.