Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Happy with your Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset?
Happy with your Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset?
Now back from a long trip overseas, I must decide what I'm going to replace my S9 Elite with.

I tried a Devilbiss but it was too noisy, so I'm probably going to stick with Resmed, though I'm undecided whether to stay with a fixed pressure machine or try an auto.

May I ask those who have one, are you happy with your Resmed Airsense Autoset? Has it been reliable? Quiet? I'd be especially interested in experiences of those who moved from CPAP to APAP.

Also, I read somewhere that the 'Autoset for Her' is better for both women AND men, though I can't recall the details. Is that true and, if so, why?

I am male, almost 62yo and just a little overweight.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Happy with your Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset?
It's a S9 in a different box. So if you liked the S9 algorithm, you will like the 10 autoset. It has the different 'for her' model algorithm, too. That you can try. So that would be the model I would get.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
I have an airsense 10 autoset and am very pleased with it. It replaced a respironics CPAP about 2.5 years ago. I've had no problems with it and it is very quite. I initially started with a fixed pressure of 10, the pressure prescribed for my CPAP. This was my first machine that provided data and I saw that my AHI was often above 5 and sometimes in the low teens. I posted sleepyhead data on the forum and was encouraged to switch to APAP and with guidance from forum members optimized my settings at 9-14 with EPR 3. My AHI now rarely exceeds 1 and is usually 0.2-0.6. Flow limitations and RERA have essentially disappeared. I found I had positional issues and use a soft cervical collar to prevent positional obstructive events. I strongly recommend that you get an auto machine. It costs no more than a fixed pressure machine if you are covered by insurance. I've had no experience with the for her model but the cost is the same and you don't need to use the softer algorithm if you don't like it.

EDIT: I've encouraged 2 friends just starting treatment to get the Airsense 10 autoset and they are both very pleased with their machines.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-19-2019, 06:25 PM)Melman Wrote: ... I strongly recommend that you get an auto machine. It costs no more than a fixed pressure machine if you are covered by insurance.  ...

As far as I know, medical insurance in Australia doesn't cover equipment. Mine certainly doesn't. Consequently, I have to pay for it myself.

Here in Oz, the auto machines are usually $200-300 more expensive than the fixed pressure versions.
Post Reply Post Reply
I missed you were an aussie, a cpap is free on the health care card. Other than that you pay. I'll send you a link to a second hand one that is worth following up.

If your elite is working OK, that can be adjusted to suit you and work as well as an auto.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a Resmed AirSense 10 AutoSet. That's what was prescribed for me from the get go. I didn't know anything about CPAP machines. 

It wasn't until I became a member of this forum and found out how lucky I was to have it. I like mine and it's pretty easy to dial in as needed, as in understanding what it's doing and how to make changes. 

I still don't like the notion that I have to use one, but that's a whole other issue.  Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-19-2019, 06:39 PM)ajack Wrote: If your elite is working OK, that can be adjusted to suit you and work as well as an auto.

I disagree. Most of us have changing pressure needs throughout the night. A fixed pressure machine can't adapt to those needs. It's my understanding that only a few of us get the best results using fixed pressure. That has definitely been my experience.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Another happy Autosence 10 user. I'm in Oz as well.
I got mine from the US in December 2015. Never had a problem with it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-19-2019, 08:56 PM)dwd1249 Wrote: Another happy Autosence 10 user. I'm in Oz as well.
I got mine from the US in December 2015. Never had a problem with it.

I noticed that US suppliers were cheaper than Australian, just for a change Rolleyes
Post Reply Post Reply
StevesSp Wrote:As far as I know, medical insurance in Australia doesn't cover equipment. Mine certainly doesn't. Consequently, I have to pay for it myself.

That will depend very much on your fund and which table you're on. If you're on top ancillaries with one of the better funds you'll get back something like 80% of the cost of the machine. On the other hand you might get only a couple of hundred or indeed nothing if you don't have ancillaries cover. So talk to your fund and find out exactly what is covered.

You may be eligible for a low / no cost machine via DVA if you are a veteran or through Medicare if you have a Commonwealth senior's health card. Each state government also has its own scheme, but details vary and the general industry consensus is that the schemes are too complex, under-funded and difficult to access.

Although the autoset costs a bit more than a fixed pressure machine, the great majority of users seem to get more comfortable and efficacious treatment with auto. In my view it's definitely worth going for auto if you can.

Finally, have you considered importing a machine from the US? Prices for most machines are much lower but you do need to take into account the current exchange rate, cost of shipping and customs handling fees (which I believe are around $80). Also, if you import you will get no support locally and have to send your machine back to America for any warranty work. Luckily they are usually very reliable.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Suggested Settings Switching AirSense 10 CPAP to AirSense 11 APAP Rickyricardo 0 22 1 hour ago
Last Post: Rickyricardo
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 53 1,408 2 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
Question [Equipment] What Is Autoset (ResMed) 10 and Can It Be Disabled? Rickyricardo 2 54 5 hours ago
Last Post: Rickyricardo
  Resmed Airsense 10 time to return to low pressure setting jfchap 3 131 04-13-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 74 26,964 04-11-2024, 09:33 PM
Last Post: her.suit
  Extremely high CA readings on the ResMed Airsense 11 Soleil211 1 134 04-08-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] ResMed Autoset 11 Settings Optimization anker9000 0 133 04-02-2024, 11:34 AM
Last Post: anker9000

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.