Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hard Water
Question 
Hard Water
Just moved in and the house has hard water, white residual from minerals on bottom of metal pans and in the humidifier chamber. 

I know how to clean the chambers, my question is will the hard water damage the internal workings of my actual apap machine?

FYI: I've never used distilled water unless I'm traveling. I have a high end filter that talks out chorine, etc (no chorine in our new place as it's on a well but there are the minerals).

Thanks very much,

Jim
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hard Water
I would just buy those big bottles of water from an area that has no minerals in it.
It will only coat the humidifier chamber as it goes out the hose after that, you might get a slight residue on the hose etc, but I don't think it will be much of a problem.
Either get distilled or buy big bottles of water or you could buy one of those water distillers and distill you own.
It will coat the bottom of your humidifier chamber quite quickly if there is a lot of minerals.  Transfer of heat to the water will then reduce making the humidifier less effective.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-25-2018, 10:42 AM)jim.evo Wrote: my question is will the hard water damage the internal workings of my actual apap machine?

No, it won't.  The minerals in the water that make it hard don't evaporate so they will go no further than the container.  This is why you see them in the bottom and have to clean them.  The only downside to using hard water is having to clean the container more often.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-25-2018, 01:02 PM)chill Wrote:
(02-25-2018, 10:42 AM)jim.evo Wrote: my question is will the hard water damage the internal workings of my actual apap machine?

No, it won't.  The minerals in the water that make it hard don't evaporate so they will go no further than the container.  This is why you see them in the bottom and have to clean them.  The only downside to using hard water is having to clean the container more often.

thanks very much chill...that makes sense to me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Use a vinegar/water solution and a fingernail brush (or old toothbrush). You'll have to do it often. I replace my humidifier tub every 6mos.

However, if the sinks and the like have a brown stain where the water sits or drips or whatever, you may want to switch to bottle water. Doesn't have to be distilled. These stains means more iron than usual and it will have a stink to it. I tried that once at a friend's house. Didn't like the smell.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
We use distilled at home, and bottled drinking water when on vacation.
At home, our water is quite hard... we actually end up with sand in our toilet tanks and faucet screens.  On the road, it's just a preference to avoid smelly local water.

But no, it's not going to harm your machine, and regular cleaning will allow you to use your humidifier container well beyond the manufacturer's recommended 6 months.
If you have the A10, for about $35, you can buy a dishwasher-safe version of the reservoir Wink
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Pretty much a ditto of those above. You can use hard tap water, but you'll have to clean the humidifier more often. I use distilled because I'd rather reallocate my cleaning time to coffee time.

Welcome
lots-o-coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
CHeck to see if your insurance will cover a water tank and for what cost. It might not be worth the effort to spend too much time trying to get rid of the hard water residue.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-27-2018, 03:07 PM)2PAPs Wrote: CHeck to see if your insurance will cover a water tank and for what cost.  It might not be worth the effort to spend too much time trying to get rid of the hard water residue.

Yep that's a good point as well. My insurance covers replacement tubs. I have a new tub that collects dust; I'll just wait for the old one to break before I'm replacing it. Or if it gathers too much coffee stains... lots-o-coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-25-2018, 10:42 AM)jim.evo Wrote: Just moved in and the house has hard water, white residual from minerals on bottom of metal pans and in the humidifier chamber. 

I know how to clean the chambers, my question is will the hard water damage the internal workings of my actual apap machine?

FYI: I've never used distilled water unless I'm traveling. I have a high end filter that talks out chorine, etc (no chorine in our new place as it's on a well but there are the minerals).

Thanks very much,

Jim

I use a Zero-Water filter at our cottage that has well water with an untreated hardness of over 900 ppm.  It makes the water taste decent and removes any sulfur and iron tastes, and it works fine with the humidifier.  The Zero-water pitchers are not expensive, and can give you a limited supply of clean tasking water that is low in minerals.  If you want a whole-house supply, you need to look at reverse-osmosis water treatment systems. Water filters can accomplish nearly any treatment task, but can have some high initial costs.   If you like your water, but want a supply that is low in mineral hardness, try the Zero water filter.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 93 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 89 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,807 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,373 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 182 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Hard time to find the right mask labrat 42 2,216 02-14-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Cannot get water chamber flush with machine, making awful sound like a vacuum kc90 2 210 02-07-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: kc90

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.