Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hard time breathing out
Hard time breathing out
I have had the same machine for about 5 years (Remstar M-Series). I use an AirFit F10. I have had this particular mask for about 2 month now. My issue is that when I exhale it feels constricted. I have a hard time breathing and I have to lift the mask off to breathe. I have cleaned the mask several times (the mesh). Nothing is working.

Does anyone think its the mask or my machine? Sleeping on my side makes it harder to breath now.

For what its worth, I dont use the humidifier. Never really needed to.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hard time breathing out
With the machine on and mask in place, do you feel air escaping out the vents around where the hose connects to the mask? Looking at the pic of it, it has a circular diffused vent. If you don't feel more than a modicum amount of air coming out, you may need to check that part carefully.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-07-2015, 05:09 PM)tpearl Wrote: I have had the same machine for about 5 years (Remstar M-Series). I use an AirFit F10. I have had this particular mask for about 2 month now. My issue is that when I exhale it feels constricted. I have a hard time breathing and I have to lift the mask off to breathe. I have cleaned the mask several times (the mesh). Nothing is working.

Does anyone think its the mask or my machine? Sleeping on my side makes it harder to breath now.

For what its worth, I dont use the humidifier. Never really needed to.

Could you clarify what mask you are using? Your profile says nasal pillows, but you state an F10 above. Do you mean P10?

If you are using the P10 mask, some feel that is harder to breath out.
If your machine has an exhalation relief setting, are you using it?
You can also try using a size larger nasal pillow and see if that helps.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-07-2015, 05:09 PM)tpearl Wrote: I have had the same machine for about 5 years (Remstar M-Series). I use an AirFit F10. I have had this particular mask for about 2 month now. My issue is that when I exhale it feels constricted. I have a hard time breathing and I have to lift the mask off to breathe. I have cleaned the mask several times (the mesh). Nothing is working.

Hi tpearl, welcome to Apnea Board.

If you still have your old mask I suggest using the machine while watching TV or something, and switching back and forth between masks. This should be able to tell you if the mask is the problem.

I use the F10 Full Face Mask, and when wearing the mask it is easy to feel the air rushing out the vent holes if the vent holes are working correctly. I've never had a problem with the F10, other than the high pressure I need (up to 25 cmH2O) means that I need to wear a mask liner with it in order to reduce leaking.

If, instead, you are using the P10: as OpalRose has suggested, try the larger-size pillow.

If the mask seems to be working correctly, I suggest it may be time to upgrade your machine. If you happen to not have private medical insurance or Medicare, there are good used machines available from on-line suppliers like Supplier #2. (A link to the Supplier List is given at top of each forum page.) For example, a "Gently Used DS560 REMstar Auto AFLEX Machine without Heated Humidifier" including power supply is US$359. This is a fully data-capable machine which uses a standard SD card and is supported by the free SleepyHead sleep data display program.

Take care,
---Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi tpearl,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
The airFit P10 has two mesh vents, which is where the air is diffused, (thus making it a very quiet mask,) and you shouldn't feel much air going out those vents if you have it on correctly.
Hang in there for more suggestions and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
tpearl - How are you doing with the mask?
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 45 1,103 2 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 205 Yesterday, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,431 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 616 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 244 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 171 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 148 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.