Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hard to exhale
Hard to exhale
I've been using my CPAP for about 4 weeks now. I have already had to change from a mask that covers my nose and mouth to a nose pillow because of leaks due to facial hair.

My problem now is it is hard to exhale. I feel like I am having to really push the air out instead of just letting my lungs deflate. I feel like the pressure may be too high but I don't know how to change it. It is only set to 12 but I would like to try it at maybe 10 or 11.

Does anybody else have this problem? Am I alone in this?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hard to exhale
Get the Setup Manual for your machine from the link at the top of the page, it will show you how to access the clinical menu where the pressure settings are. "System One" refers to a whole line of machines so you need to know which model you have.

If you have a machine that records treatment information you can use the data to guide any adjustments to your pressure settings. If a slightly lower pressure feels more comfortable and it doesn't compromise your treatment, then no problem. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day TheSleepingDead, welcome to Apnea Board.

I know exactly what you mean about the exhalation being difficult. Your machine may have a "flex" setting which reduces the pressure slightly to make it easier to exhale. It may be called C-flex or A-flex, depending on the particular model. This should be shown in your user manual. As Kaiasgram said, it's also a good idea to get a copy of the clinician manual which gives you a higher degree of control. You can get a copy here: http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual There are hundreds of different manuals available, so follow the instructions carefully and make sure you request the exact one you need for your machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep there is a setting to provide reduced pressure during exhale, if this is still not enough you can move to BiLevel, this is the main reason for BiLevel.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a PR System One 560 model. I imagine yours is somewhat similar. Turn the knob (the one you push to turn it off and on) one click clockwise. The window should light up--do you see a section that says C-Flex or A-Flex? If so turn the knob to highlight it, then push the knob in to see the menu. If Flex is on you should see it listed and a number after it. If it is off you may not be able to turn it on--click on the off to see. The higher the number listed the more exhale pressure reduction you get--I use 3. A few things can be changed in the Setting section but I don't think Flex is one of them. Have you talked to your CPAP supplier (DME)?
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a PR machine also. If yours is similar turn the knob one click to light the screen. You should see C-Flex or A-Flex listed in one section. tun knob to highlight that section, then clpush the knob. If you see A Flex selection with a number highlight it by turning knob, turn once more to highlight the number. For most exhale pressure relief set at 3--that drops the pressure the most for exhale--doesn't change the inhale pressure. If it says off you are going to have to learn how to get into the clinician's menu--or take it to your CPAP supplier or whoever set it up in the first place.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-17-2015, 02:12 AM)TheSleepingDead Wrote: I've been using my CPAP for about 4 weeks now. I have already had to change from a mask that covers my nose and mouth to a nose pillow because of leaks due to facial hair.

My problem now is it is hard to exhale. I feel like I am having to really push the air out instead of just letting my lungs deflate. I feel like the pressure may be too high but I don't know how to change it. It is only set to 12 but I would like to try it at maybe 10 or 11.

Does anybody else have this problem? Am I alone in this?

Your profile doesn't state which system one you have. If you are using a straight Cpap setting of 12, you can set a CFLEX Setting of 1,2, or 3 to give exhale pressure relief, with 3 giving the most relief.

If you are having trouble exhaling, then set it to 3. When you breath out, this will give you the most pressure relief. This is a comfort setting, and you should utilize it if needed.

You cannot use AFLEX unless you are using an auto mode.

Just turn the round knob until flex is highlighted. Press down and make correct setting. You can do this from your menu or the clinical menu.

I wouldn't change your pressure setting until you start looking at your data and have a reason to lower it. Changing your pressure has nothing to do with exhale relief.

Order your clinicians manual, see top of page, (CPAP Setup Manuals), so you will know how to make changes to your machine.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi TheSleepingDead,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy and fine tuning it to meet your needs.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you tried using the "ramp" feature? Try that, it worked for me.

It's possible the pressure is too high, but doubtful. The ramp will allow your lungs to adjust as you go to sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Going from ffm to pillows the pressure likely is too high.
If you have an auto aflex machine enable Aflex set it on 3 to begin with.
If a straight cpap pr machine turn in cflex plus.
Set it on three.
Cflex plus works the same as aflex.
You can figure out the number setting that feels best to you from there.
Guess but likely your pressure could drop to 9 or maybe 8 on pillows vs 12 on ffm.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,723 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  Hard time to find the right mask labrat 42 2,174 02-14-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Resmed vibrates on exhale? webweaver 5 806 12-22-2023, 08:22 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  How hard is it to upgrade with Medicare ? Nightynite 2 539 11-02-2023, 05:14 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  RESMED F30i Mask causing pulsing on exhale HULK 1 570 09-21-2023, 04:12 PM
Last Post: stevew77
  Normal for exhale peaks to be much greater than inhale peaks? stony82 4 530 09-20-2023, 03:36 PM
Last Post: stony82
  [Symptoms] Difficult to exhale by end of night threerottencats 0 437 08-12-2023, 11:19 AM
Last Post: threerottencats

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.