Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Some Australian Doctors see the problem with Driver Reporting
RE: Some Australian Doctors see the problem with Driver Reporting
(01-03-2014, 05:50 AM)me50 Wrote: is there such a regulation for those that are alcoholics? They are just as dangerous if not more so because they think they can drive better drunk and most of us with OSA know if it is not safe for us to drive and most of us either don't drive when it isn't safe or find alternative ways to get where we have to get. Just thinking out loud

Yes - under a strict interpretation a doctor could form an opinion on fitness to drive based on alcoholism, drug addiction, or any condition that, in the doctors opinion, makes a person less fit to drive.

Such a assessment does not always result in the cancellation of a licence - there are a wide range of things that allow a conditional licence to be provided. The condition could be to drive only in daylight, to wear optical correction, to only drive a suitably modified vehicle, etc etc.

In the specific case of alcohol there is also a prescribed limit for blood-alcohol above which an offence is committed regardless of whether obvious impairment is visible.

In the case of a number of illicit drugs detectible by a roadside saliva swab an offence is committed if a roadside test shows a positive result - there is no lower limit - and again the offence deemed to have been committed regardless of whether obvious impairment is visible.

In Qld an alcohol or drug driving conviction nearly always results an a loss of licence for some period starting at 3 months and ranging up to permanent.

Apart from OSA, doctors can make an adverse fitness to drive assessment for a wide range of things including visual acuity, epilepsy, stroke, general physical infirmity and certain mental issues.

In all cases though it is up to the driver to report it - although there is a mechanism for the doctor to report a recalcitrant patient.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,577 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,335 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  Are these flow limits my problem? k888 87 5,475 02-26-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: k888
  [Treatment] Are leaks the problem or do I need BIPAP? TiredDude 3 333 02-22-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Simultaneous Reporting of Cheyne-Stokes Respiration (CSR) and Central Apnea (CA) Aldiorg 3 295 02-19-2024, 03:57 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Is my leak rate a problem? Kevstuf 5 552 02-08-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Kevstuf

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.