Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Has Anyone Experienced Malicious Hacking of Their CPAP Machine Remotely?
RE: Has Anyone Experienced Malicious Hacking of Their CPAP Machine Remotely?
(06-29-2021, 09:44 PM)JJJ Wrote: ...what if they can hack simultaneously into the machines of half a million users, and then demand ransom from the manufacturer to release the machines. Now, that might motivate a gang of criminals...

...like maybe for example hack in and insert disintegrating carcinogenic foam into the airflow? Bigwink

(PR seems to have taken the "if you want to do something right you have to do it yourself" strategy when it came to the shooting-themselves-in-the-foot task.)

(06-29-2021, 09:44 PM)JJJ Wrote: Personally, one of the first things that I did when I got my Dreamstation was remove the modem. I wasn't worried about being hacked; I just didn't want my care provider to have access.

Dialing the setting to Airplane Mode is probably just as good and doesn't require a screwdriver. The FAA would be seriously p**d at the manufacturers if AM didn't completely cut the machine off. And they can make life seriously unpleasant for companies (like not allow their products to be sold in the US).

(06-29-2021, 09:44 PM)JJJ Wrote: I mentioned this once to the provider's assistant, and her response was 'we've got 20,000 patients, like where would we have the time to check on anyone's machine?'

And this here is why the doctor wants you to sleep with a brick. They don't want the machines producing data, because no one can expect the doc to look at the data when there's no data to look at, right?
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-29-2021, 02:23 PM)Dog Slobber Wrote: ResMed devices cannot be connected to interactively. They aren't addressable.
That was true... until AirSense 11. Out of the box, it was set for 5.0-20.0cm/H2O^2. A tech from the DME called me, and changed the range to my prescription remotely. I see no way to enter a clinician's menu like on the AirSense 10.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-02-2021, 02:03 PM)jprestonian Wrote: That was true... until AirSense 11. Out of the box, it was set for 5.0-20.0cm/H2O^2. A tech from the DME called me, and changed the range to my prescription remotely. I see no way to enter a clinician's menu like on the AirSense 10.

I didn't say they could not be remotely configured. In fact I described how the are remotely configured.

I specifically said they could not be "connected to interactively".

Post Reply Post Reply
jprestonian - 10 to 1 insurance is paying your tab. If that's the case, then the DME is paying to have a connection for usage validation. They must present the usage to the insurance company in order to get paid. As soon as the required usage period is over, they will drop the connection.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes -- insurance is paying, and the DME quoted the compliance window as the first 90 days (which will not be an issue; 25-year+ user). My old AirSense 10 was  reporting to MyAir for about 57 months (stopped March 4, 2021), and I don't know what, if any data is on its SD card. I seem to have misplaced my card reader (a USB thingy by Targus).
Post Reply Post Reply
Once you get some data on your SD card, please consider sending it to the OSCAR development team, so they can see if, or what, is required to be compatible.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll do that, absolutely. I may have to go out and buy another card reader, though. I'm assuming since my A11 didn't ship with a card, that there's a decent chance that I'll have to at least re-format it, or get another card. It does have a card slot, but only has a plastic placeholder in it, at present. It's probably a good idea to try to save the A10 data that's probably still on the SD card I have for that, in any case.
Post Reply Post Reply
jprestonian, don't worry about how to read it to start -- just get a card (they have them at the drugstore, walmart, etc) put it into the machine, and see what happens. On the A10 it comes up and says something about preparing card don't take it out and don't cut power. At this point it does everything that needs to be done to the card. If it's a brand new card, it gets formatted and the machine writes the resmed file tree on it. If it's already got the resmed file tree on it, then it updates the files that are there.

If you get a card into the A11 then the first thing we are dying to find out is if the A11 appears to know what to do with it. Then when you have a card reader and plug it into your computer the next thing is to see whether the new resmed file names and directory names and whats in the directories looks anything like the old system or is completely new.

You need to understand that there are people here crazy to know whether we're going to have easy access to our data with the A11, and if not how bad is it going to be or is it going to be impossible.  If I had your snailmail address I would be putting an SD card reader and SD card into a padded envelop and mailing it to you right now!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
jprestonian,

See if there are 2 "buttons" on the touchscreen. Click and hold these for about 5 seconds. Clinician menu should be there.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-02-2021, 06:44 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: jprestonian,

See if there are 2 "buttons" on the touchscreen. Click and hold these for about 5 seconds. Clinician menu should be there.

There were, on first startup, but could never get it to show that screen after touching the "clinical button" only. However, the DME's tech said the only thing I could not adjust is the prescribed pressure range, which on its face, seems true. 

I'll try to set up an SD card on the machine tomorrow. It's my day off. I could buy one where I work, but they want $16 for a 32Gb card!  I can do better than that.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 90 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 307 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 625 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 199 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,735 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  New to CPAP- Need advice on purchasing a machine JuanSiesta 4 368 02-14-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: JuanSiesta
  [CPAP] Newby not sure if CPAP is the right machine for me tcinoz 24 1,292 02-13-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: tcinoz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.