Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Has OSCAR crashed for you?
Has OSCAR crashed for you?
I want to know about all causes of OSCAR crashes that anyone has seen.  If we don't know about them, we can't fix them, and I would like to fix all I can find before the next release.

If OSCAR has crashed while you were using it, please let me know what you were doing, computer and operating system you were using, how you recovered from the crash (if you did), and whether any data was lost. If the crash is repeatable, then I may want to see a copy of your data to see if I can reproduce the crash.  (It's very much easier to debug a crash that I can reproduce on my computer than to figure out what is happening on someone else's computer!)

We know about the following situations, so don't need more details:

1. Most commonly reported is a crash at startup while loading a profile on Windows (only on Windows).  This is usually happens on an older computer or with older graphics drivers.  People who had to run the "BrokenGL" version of SleepyHead are likely to experience this problem.  Running the "Fix Graphics" tool fixes this problem.  The next release will have a built-in workaround.

2.  Crash while rebuilding CPAP data when a "phantom date" is present.  (You can see whether you have the "phantom date" problem by looking at the Statistics page.  If the first Rx change is 12/31/1969 or the heading for CPAP Usage says recording began on 12/31/1969, then you have this problem.  This has been seen only with ResMed machines but could happen with any.  If you have this, do not try to rebuild CPAP data as it is likely to result in a crash.)  This is fixed for the next release.

3. OSCAR crashes if attempting a screen capture before a profile is opened.  This is fixed for the next release.
I am especially interested in more information on any crashes that occur while using the Rebuild CPAP Data function.  This seems to be an intermittent issue that I have seen this once on my data and have seen reports of others but don't have the details I need to fix it.  If you've already reported this, please remind me so I can make sure I have examined your data as much as possible.  If you have seen but not reported this problem, please post full details so I can try to extract clues about what is happening.

If we've already discussed your report and I haven't told you the problem was fixed, please remind me to make sure I didn't lose track of it in the flurry of issues that I was working on earlier.

Thank you.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Has OSCAR crashed for you?
Downloaded, installed, imported A10 data, imported from card, viewed data - all was well (within the past 7 days).

Saw this thread and realized I'd not played with it since then.

Opened program, it loaded, it went to second tab, then just sat there. Nothing I clicked would respond. Nothing I clicked outside the program responed to clicking. The cursor moved but no body was home. Used good ol' ctrl/alt/del and arrow keys to select task manager. As soon as task manager became the focus, I could click on whatever. Shut down OSCAR process.

I have tried this four times now. All but the first have been with nothing running but OSCAR. Once, I got to where I could click the tabs and switch between them, and I could click things and they would darken as if pressed, but nothing happened. Then clicking ability ceased.

So, yeah. Crashing is happening. I grabbed a screenshot of the banner that has version number and says I am using OpenGL.

Windows 10, Logitech M570 trackball
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-06-2019, 11:32 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Downloaded, installed, imported A10 data, imported from card, viewed data - all was well (within the past 7 days).

Saw this thread and realized I'd not played with it since then.

Opened program, it loaded, it went to second tab, then just sat there. Nothing I clicked would respond. Nothing I clicked outside the program responed to clicking. The cursor moved but no body was home. Used good ol' ctrl/alt/del and arrow keys to select task manager. As soon as task manager became the focus, I could click on whatever. Shut down OSCAR process.

I have tried this four times now. All but the first have been with nothing running but OSCAR. Once, I got to where I could click the tabs and switch between them, and I could click things and they would darken as if pressed, but nothing happened. Then clicking ability ceased.

So, yeah. Crashing is happening. I grabbed a screenshot of the banner that has version number and says I am using OpenGL.

Windows 10, Logitech M570 trackball

Thank you for the details.  It would help if I could see your OSCAR_Data directory.  I'll send you a PM with directions on how to upload it so I can examine it.

Could you try running the Fix Graphics tool I mentioned in my earlier post? While your symptoms are not typical of that problem, it's easy for you to test that change. If that's not the problem, running the Fix Graphics tool won't hurt anything.
Useful links

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I ran that reg file. Rebooted puter. Opened OSCAR. I could click on tabs and all seemed well until I went to edit the profile. Then it froze again like before. All I did was click the "edit profile" button. Tried again but didn't touch the edit profile. Could scroll through everything.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-07-2019, 04:32 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: I ran that reg file. Rebooted puter. Opened OSCAR. I could click on tabs and all seemed well until I went to edit the profile. Then it froze again like before. All I did was click the "edit profile" button. Tried again but didn't touch the edit profile. Could scroll through everything.

Paula,

I think I may know what is happening.  When opening an older version of the database, OSCAR may have to update the database to a new format.  And, in fact, OSCAR has to do that for some of the information when switching from SleepyHead to OSCAR 1.0.1.

You have a very large database -- about seven years worth of data.  When I tried to change the Statistics range to "Everything," OSCAR seemed to freeze for many minutes while it was converting the database.  The only way I knew it was doing something rather than having crashed was to look at the Task Manager.  I could see that OSCAR still showed CPU and I/O activity.  I just left the computer for several minutes until it got done.  After that, the Statistics page worked fine, even after OSCAR was restarted, as the file it used was updated.

How much memory does your computer have, how fast is the CPU, and how full is the hard disk?  I have a fast Core i7, 16 GB of RAM and lots of hard drive space and it still took long enough to look like a crash.

I suggest you start OSCAR, go to the Statistics page, set the range to "everything," and just leave the computer on its own for some time.  With a slow machine, it could be a looong time.

I had no problem with editing the profile.

We already have one enhancement logged to add a progress bar for the Statistics window delay.  I'll look further into the code and see what other places could benefit from a progress bar.

Let me know if this delay while OSCAR re-organizes its data (without telling you it is doing that) seems to be your problem.

Guy
Useful links

Post Reply Post Reply
Not a crash, but a hang.

I have the current macOS Catalina on my MacBook Pro, and OSCAR starts when I bypass GateKeeper, but then it just hangs.

Let me know if you'd like me to collect logs, do call traces or anything.
Geoffrey Rush as Philip Henslowe, (Shakespeare in Love) "I don't know. It's a mystery."
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-08-2019, 07:10 AM)Dawnstar Wrote: Not a crash, but a hang.

I have the current macOS Catalina on my MacBook Pro, and OSCAR starts when I bypass GateKeeper, but then it just hangs.

Let me know if you'd like me to collect logs, do call traces or anything.

I have logged this issue and will bring it to the attention of one of our MacOS developers.
Useful links

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the advance warning. Wikipedia tells me that the Catalina Beta 3 was released on the 2nd of July (last week!), and you are the first person who has brought it to my attention. I think it's a little early for us to look at this problem.

I see that you are a retired Software Engineer, as I am, so I am sure you understand that beta software is unsupported.
OSCAR is open source, so you are free to clone the GitLab repository and work on your own if you wish. However we would be delighted to have another Mac developer in the Apnea Software Talk forum. Please PM our Project Leader - Bonjour - if you wish to join us.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
We are always looking for software talent to help us advance OSCAR. PM me if you are interested.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-07-2019, 07:20 PM)GuyScharf Wrote:
(07-07-2019, 04:32 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: I ran that reg file. Rebooted puter. Opened OSCAR. I could click on tabs and all seemed well until I went to edit the profile. Then it froze again like before. All I did was click the "edit profile" button. Tried again but didn't touch the edit profile. Could scroll through everything.

Paula,

I think I may know what is happening.  When opening an older version of the database, OSCAR may have to update the database to a new format.  And, in fact, OSCAR has to do that for some of the information when switching from SleepyHead to OSCAR 1.0.1.

You have a very large database -- about seven years worth of data.  When I tried to change the Statistics range to "Everything," OSCAR seemed to freeze for many minutes while it was converting the database.  The only way I knew it was doing something rather than having crashed was to look at the Task Manager.  I could see that OSCAR still showed CPU and I/O activity.  I just left the computer for several minutes until it got done.  After that, the Statistics page worked fine, even after OSCAR was restarted, as the file it used was updated.
shad no problem with editing the profile.

Oh, so it did import the S9 data? Cool. When I saw how big the file was, I figured it had.

I'll open it and just let it sit there for a while. Does it need to do this each time or just once?

EDITED TO ADD: I don't see where to set it to "everything". Can you point me to where to find this information?
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question PC crashed & data gone Emeraude 6 778 10-02-2020, 07:10 PM
Last Post: Emeraude
  Sleepyhead crashed before data upload finishes ScottGA 6 2,765 10-06-2017, 11:53 AM
Last Post: pholynyk

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.