Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Really new, left in dark by doctors
RE: Really new, left in dark by doctors
Hey Gideon,

I had no centrals in my test just a mix between hypopneas and OA's. 

Few questions,

Why would a bi level help me? Is it cos you're recommending higher pressures? 

Why would raising the pressure help me?

Why would lowering the EPR to 2 help?

Just tryna figure everything out.

Thankyou

Also just to add, my test AHI was 8.4 so pretty mild, but felt absolutely on my ass for years.
I have very small airways (from a CT scan) that they're actually looking to make an OAT for me.
What do you know about UARS? I hear so much about needing a higher pressure? Why is that?
Post Reply Post Reply
UARS is all about resistance or Flow Limitations. The best tool to fight this is Pressure Support as this difference between inhale and exhale can be higher on a BiLevel and a max of 3 (EPR) on an AutoSet. Physics says a greater Delta Pressure, better know on BiLevels as Pressure Support (PS) helps to overcome this resistance. Hgher Pressure can help but either the CPAP or the BiLevel is extremely likely to be able to supply this higher pressure in nearly anyone. Good old physics says you need higher pressure to overcome resistence.

You have some Central Apnea in your charts and none reported in your sleep study (I do prefer to actually see the Sleep study simply because they are frequently mis-interpeted) these Centrals are likely Treatment Emergent Central Apneas which are mostly driven by your CO2 levels. Note: It is our CO2 levels being 'high' that provides our primary drive to breathe, NOT low oxygen (which can cause us to breathe faster). ALL CPAPs, in any of there flavors increase the efficiency of our breathing. The Biggest factor being PS or EPR with increase PS or EPR inceasing the flushing of CO2 out of our system to below your apneic threshold resulting in a Central Apnea with you not breathing. Now that you are not breathing your CO2 levels gradually build up and when they cross that apneic threshod going up you gradually resume breathing. (Both up and dow is gradual rulting in a typical waxing and waning of your breath form (Flow Rate) frequently with Central Apnea at the nadir's.

The reduction of EPR to 2 is to reduce this flushing and reduce the incidence of Central Apnea. We try it with all apneas on the chance it will work.

Because of the UARS I want to try the other way and increase EPR to its max of 3 and bump up EPAP a bit and see if that helps. I suspect not enough and to go beyond you need a BiLevel such as the VAuto.

Your "very small airways" backs up my UARS theory and you need to attempt to max out the AutoSet (EPR=3 plus a couple of bumps to the EPAP (Min Pressure) looking to see if that helps of the CA gets worse. IF the CA gets worse you still need the higher PS of a BiLevel but the direction would be to the more expensive ASV machine which is designed to treat Cenral Apnea
Post Reply Post Reply
Physics also associates pressure increased against a resistance with increased flow speed, noise, drying and irritation effects. Be open to it either making you more comfortable, or alternatively more irritated/disturbed. Never trade better scores for better comfort/rest.

Great Luck to you.

QAL
Post Reply Post Reply
QAL if I understand your statement you say Always go down the rabbit hole for better scores/numbers. I disagree.

I see optimization as 2 phases

Phases Numbers are high so focus on numbers, listening how the user feels to initially bring the AHI to well under 5, actual value varies by individual

Phase 2
The Numbers are acceptably low and Comfort is king. It is ok to sacrifice some of the numbers for comfort.

The end goal is a solid night's sleep with minimal interruptions. What this actually is can vary considerably by individual.
Post Reply Post Reply
Nope, exactly inverse.  Chasing numbers,  or better waveforms, should _not_ be done if comfort / rest suffer as a result.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, continuing my thread.

Have found a little more relief of symptoms from having min pressure 10 max 12 and EPR at 3. But I am finding myself severely congested and 'black eyed' the next morning. The best way I can understand it is imagine holding your nose and blowing out, your eyes/sinuses and head would fill up with pressure.

It's definitely on these higher settings. Never had it before when I had ipap around the 7-8.5 mark.

Any one had this experience? Does it go away? Or am I forever cursed with sinus pressure issues because of these higher pressures I need.

I have humidity on 4. Which has always been really comfortable.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-03-2021, 01:54 AM)Gideon Wrote: QAL if I understand your statement you say Always go down the rabbit hole for better scores/numbers.  I disagree.

Phases Numbers are high so focus on numbers, listening how the user feels to initially bring the AHI to well under 5, actual value varies by individual

Phase 2
The Numbers are acceptably low and Comfort is king. It is ok to sacrifice some of the numbers for comfort.

The end goal is a solid night's sleep with minimal interruptions.  What this actually is can vary considerably by individual.

Gideon that's a wonderful explanation.

sleep quality. I've followed this for some time.  However, I'm stalled.  I don't know what I don't know.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
ConorRyan2612 welcome to the forum!

You're in good hands. I'm grateful for the help they've given me.

Dave
DaveL

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-03-2021, 01:54 AM)Gideon Wrote: QAL if I understand your statement you say Always go down the rabbit hole for better scores/numbers.  I disagree.

Phase 2

The end goal is a solid night's sleep with minimal interruptions.  What this actually is can vary considerably by individual.

Gideon that's a wonderful explanation.

sleep quality. I've followed this for some time.  However, I'm stalled.  I don't know what I don't know.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad 7 Years of Pap Therapy and Still Utterly Fatigued. Top doctors Unhelpful kalensk 1 116 04-11-2024, 06:48 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Do Doctors Even Have Access to Flow Limits Info? paulag1955 16 726 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: dataq1
  Sleep Doctors Eatapeach 2 461 08-28-2023, 04:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Picking up where I left off - My CPAP Therapy Thread SwirlySauce 38 2,871 04-10-2023, 03:48 PM
Last Post: SwirlySauce
  How effective is APAP if left to do it's thing? chris94546 4 637 03-16-2023, 02:02 AM
Last Post: chris94546
  Sleep doctors giving conflicting advice Morgannon 8 861 02-10-2023, 07:41 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Throbbing sensation behind the left ear, might be waking me SleepFoo 9 929 07-28-2022, 05:15 PM
Last Post: SleepFoo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.