Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Has anybody had success with positional therapies to force side sleeping?
Has anybody had success with positional therapies to force side sleeping?
I fall asleep on my side 99% of the time but often roll over in my sleep.
Had anybody had success with things such these?

[Image: OrFAG9P.jpg]
[Image: kTO4Yg2.jpg][Image: RBj0P3Y.jpg][Image: 2D7vaMH.jpg][Image: bDj7NsP.jpg][Image: 1sSuEHE.jpg][Image: ncspZjJ.jpg][Image: KgMvcEq.jpg]
Nothing I post is medical advice and should not be taken as such, always consult a medical professional for guidance.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Has anybody had success with positional therapies to force side sleeping?
I just used a rolled up blanket and a pillow or 2. My girl would put it up against me after I got settled in while I was waiting for my sleep study and then waiting for my machine. My doctor told me to buy one of those while waiting but I didn’t see the point when that worked just as well
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply
Joey, I know a number of people that say they have used them with 'success'. How much success is a question because most use the instead of CPAP. IMHO we should be able to come up with settings to allow you to sleep either way. Won't know unless it is tried, either way.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Slumber Bump design is narrower left to right but is closest to my vintage surveyor vest with its knapsack for plans. I have two nested cardboard boxes inside the pocket, about 4 x 10 x 8 inches. I tended to roll over too close to supine using the other approaches that only encircled the torso.  

My vest keeps me on one side and at least 45 degrees away from supine. After my usual one trip to the head, I switch to sleep on the other side. 

Rolling over is difficult enough that I rarely do it.

The tighter the vest, the farther I sleep from supine. When at 45 degrees the vest has rotated around my torso just enough to allow that and no more; it is comfortable. The arm holes subtly come into play to stop rotation of the vest.

The restraint has eliminated OSA, other than occasional breath holding when shifting position.
I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Of my 3 once-needed, helpful, and adjunctive devices I have listed, only the accelerometer remains operative (but now idle). My second CMS50I died, too, of old age and the so-so Dreem 2 needs head-positioning band repair--if, indeed, Dreem even supports use of it now.

Post Reply Post Reply
Oops! I should have seen that it was the device shown above the words "Slumber Bump" that is most similar to my vest/knapsack device.
I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Of my 3 once-needed, helpful, and adjunctive devices I have listed, only the accelerometer remains operative (but now idle). My second CMS50I died, too, of old age and the so-so Dreem 2 needs head-positioning band repair--if, indeed, Dreem even supports use of it now.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Joey,
My apnea is VERY positional, and I must avoid back sleeping or I see frequent event clusters .  As I was finding out about this. I tried several homebrew solutions (tennis balls in socks attached to a T-shirt, large pillows, etc.) some of which resembled one or another of these commercial products.  I never tried any commercial product.  Instead, I got a school backpack, loaded it with light lumpy objects, put it on as tightly as I could, and that worked.  Five years later, it still works.  Since then I tried a Cervical collar, but without the backpack, it was not enough to prevent rolling into a supine position.  I am seeing some benefit from the Cervical collar, but I can't do without the backpack.

Good luck finding a workable solution for this.
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a modified WoodyKnows backpack, available on Amazon.

I find the stock pack quite confining and uncomfortable so I cut the stitching holding the rolled up shoulder strap ends and unroll them.  Then I cross-buckle - I buckle the left strap into the right shoulder and buckle the right strap into the left shoulder.   I find this much more comfortable and still keeps me off my back.

YMMV
Post Reply Post Reply
This question made me start thinking about my own situation. I have a couple of questions. Should I post a new thread? Post in my data thread? Post in this thread? I don't want to be a post hijacker or keep having threads deleted. What is correct?

Thank you very much.
Huhsign  WARNING: It may take a while to sink in...I tend to get befuddled at times.
Post Reply Post Reply
generally we are advised to keep everything related to our own therapy in our own thread (usually singular) so our unique stories & histories are easily accessible by those that would reply to our questions.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you.  I wish I could change the title of the thread that has most of my info in it though.  Lol.  

Have a great night and thanks again.
Huhsign  WARNING: It may take a while to sink in...I tend to get befuddled at times.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 356 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help - 1 year CPAP - not success - help very welcome! leono85 41 2,629 03-25-2024, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Macka
Arrow Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here SuperSleeper 1,364 626,078 03-24-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Earplugs for side sleepers? cps22 17 413 03-22-2024, 07:15 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 986 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 825 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.