Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Has anyone been cured of obstructive sleep apnea after tonsillectomy?
RE: Has anyone been cured of obstructive sleep apnea after tonsillectomy?
Is there a way a doctor can tell if removing your tonsils would cure your sleep apnea or prevent it? Is there a way to scientifically predict it? Otherwise, it's better not to remove it. I think the medical industry now agrees that no organ is truly vestigial. Even the appendix has a function and helps prevent infection I hear. Is that right?
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-16-2020, 01:42 PM)WWu777 Wrote: Is there a way a doctor can tell if removing your tonsils would cure your sleep apnea or prevent it?

I think the only way to make the determination definitively is to have the tonsils out and then have a sleep study done.

However ... If one or both of your tonsils are enlarged and infected and have to come out anyway, there's a good chance that it could remedy sleep apnea.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It is possible tonsil removal might reduce or eliminate apnea. I am one that am skeptical of surgeries to remedy apnea. I'd stipulate if a sleep study before and after would show AHI under 5 on the afterward study, then you're in the treated area. But even "treated" via a PAP with 0-5 AHI means you still have apnea.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had huge tonsils - large enough that I've been told a number of times it was at least contributing to my apnea.  

I had them out at the start of Sept - so am fully healed up (and wow, what a painful and long recovery!!) 

I had a pressure reduction a month ago based on machine readings and just talked to my doctor today.  She is reducing pressure again - and wants me to retest, as the machine isn't showing a lot of apnea.  While I doubt I'm cured - it would be great to have non-severe, need less pressure - and may low enough low incidents to not have to always travel with the CPAP!

I'll post back after my study next week - she wants me to go without the CPAP for 3-7 days, to "reset baseline" - anyone ever hear of that? I was retested a while back and didn't need to do that....
Post Reply Post Reply
I had the UPPP surgery which involved removing my tonsils, adenoids, uvula and parts of the soft palate and pharynx.  I was an extremely painful surgery, and it did not improve my AHI very much.  The recovery is not fun either.  CPAP (actually ASV) is the only thing that has helped me. If I had it to do all over again I would not have had the surgery.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 221 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 349 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 609 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 287 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 74 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 123 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 551 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.