Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Has anyone developed a cough from humidity being set too low?
This machine has helped me tremendously! It allows me to sleep, I don't have problems sleeping anymore and my girlfriend can sleep.

I use a CPAP Res med 10 auto set with the humidifier set at 4. I developed a consistent cough that will not go away.

I am on antibiotics, steroids and gargling with salt.

Wish to try to bring up the level to a 5 or a 6 to see if it will help.
Hi NickNick,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Sure, you can turn up or down the humidity if you want to.
You can also get the clinitians manual here on the board, I think there is a link at the top of this page.
Hang in there for more answers to your questions and good luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Has anyone started to cough from their machine being set too low?
Yes, I turn the humidity up. I notice the weather makes a difference on which level of humidity I need but if there's not enough water vapor, I feel it.
Perhaps telling us what part of the country that you live in will help get some feedback.. Personally, I live in Florida, so I don't even use the humidifier. Maybe in the winter some. Maybe you should think about going the other way with the humidifier..Go lower (less) a couple of notches.
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".
Personally, I live in Florida, so I don't even use the humidifier.

My self, I live in SE Georgia where is real humid as well, my humidifier is set on 4 because number 3 setting just not enough moisture for me, at least.. Keep in mind the AC is on 24/7 and it dries the air..
I'd say try turning the humidity up first. Also, be aware that post-nasal drip can cause you to cough and post-nasal drip is usually caused by acid reflux. I take 40 mg of Prilosec equivalent daily and the cough went away.
I don't use any humidity at all, because it kept dripping, and then the tub was squeaking, AND it meant I had to clean the hose to keep mold issues etc away. I'm much too lazy to do that. My previous machine hadn't had a workable humidifier, so I just got used to no humidity for 8 years. So even though I have a heated hose now, I bought a replacement side panel for mine, and don't even use the humidity tub, let alone water.

It hasn't caused a cough. In the Chicagoland area of Illinois. So --- you can probably learn to like it either with OR without.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] DreamStation Humidity Issue bry248 10 423 01-08-2017, 07:40 PM
Last Post: bry248
  Hose Temperature/Humidity Logic Question bluemom51 8 430 12-21-2016, 03:20 PM
Last Post: chill
  New to CPAP and having humidity and mask fit issues shylock31 6 321 12-16-2016, 11:22 AM
Last Post: shylock31
Question Change Humidity Level Seasonally txpap 9 713 11-21-2016, 06:58 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Cough and cpap Judy1843 5 418 11-02-2016, 07:20 PM
Last Post: Beej
  pressure vs EPR vs hypopnea vs humidity vs congestion Rick76599 6 470 10-15-2016, 06:08 PM
Last Post: Rick76599
  (Another Newbie) Mask Humidity janeaverage 4 530 09-11-2016, 07:20 PM
Last Post: JudgeMental