Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Has anyone ever tried making their own mask?
Has anyone ever tried making their own mask?
I am new to using CPAP. I have the Dreamwear Nasal and Full face masks. I really like how the hose goes on top of the head, and I also like the soft silicone material the mask is made of. However, there are some design flaws, particularly in the mask size. I ned a physically wider mask - not just wider air holes, but the whole mask - the esdges of my mouth and my lower lip are too far apart for this particular mask.

I know it would be a substantial project, but I was thinking of trying to come up with a custom cushion. Has anyone tried creating their own masks before?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Has anyone ever tried making their own mask?
I have not done it. But it is an interesting idea. You could use a 3D printer, but those usually use rigid plastic. But you could make a mold with it.

There might also be opportunities to improve on headgear.
Post Reply Post Reply
No, I have never even considered trying to make my own mask. have found that masks are a very individual choice-a mask that one person likes may not do well for someone else. I would suggest looking at several different masks , then select one that works for you. I just don't believe that we individual patients have the know-how or resources to venture into mask making . The mask is an engineered medical device , and I for one, have no wish to attempt making one.

TheDuke
Post Reply Post Reply
When I first heard the term "cpap pillow", I thought that it was a pillow with a built in mask. I had a vision of a mask that would substitute for a pillow and you would sleep face down. I built such a mask, but it did not work.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes.  Imagine a scuba mask, a snorkel, and the flex hose going into the end of the snorkel.  Worked like a charm until my wife woke up after a nightmare.
Post Reply Post Reply
Custom made masks might be the future. Imagine a mask made from a mold of your face. What a fit!
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dave Vader here we go.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-13-2019, 03:28 PM)Sleepster Wrote: Custom made masks might be the future. Imagine a mask made from a mold of your face. What a fit!

The only problem is that I am very greasy, er oily, er I mean I have oily skin.  I have zero leaks when I go to bed, but by 3AM I need to use a baby wipe to get it to seal again.  I don't think any contour of mask would make oily silicone seal well.  Though I'd not at all miss my wife shaking me awake and hissing "Your leaking again!"   Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-11-2019, 08:53 AM)Cloudboy Wrote: I am new to using CPAP. I have the Dreamwear Nasal and Full face masks. I really like how the hose goes on top of the head, and I also like the soft silicone material the mask is made of. However, there are some design flaws, particularly in the mask size. I ned a physically wider mask - not just wider air holes, but the whole mask - the esdges of my mouth and my lower lip are too far apart for this particular mask.

I know it would be a substantial project, but I was thinking of trying to come up with a custom cushion. Has anyone tried creating their own masks before?

The original CPAP masks, back when the concept of CPAP was developed in the early 1980s, were made to fit each individual patient based off of custom molds of the patients faces, and glued on nightly. The kinds of silicone masks we use today are created using precision engineering and molding that varies the thickness of the flexible silicone to create both structure and a sufficient seal when under pressure. It would take a lot of expertise to make a quality, homebrew version of one of those. But, you might be able to mod an existing nasal cushion mask to make the aperture wider, yet still seal. And there are some masks that are made of cloth that some people manage to get work, so it does seem there is some opportunity to work on your own mask.

However, keep in mind that you do need a vent, and it must vent at a rate sufficient to washout CO2 from the mask. A mask that doesn't vent properly could be harmful to you. So you really do need to be careful and methodical if you want to take this on, and do your due diligence.
Post Reply Post Reply
A Singapore company advertises custom masks, but their website hasn't been updated in a long time so I don't know if they are actually achieving anything. Search for Inspirate Medical.

They do a laser scan of your face to form a 3D digital model, then 3D print a mask to suit.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad help! bipap making things worse Sleepyroshi 11 588 03-23-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 832 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
Gross Need help interpreting data and making adjustments tiredandexpired 13 588 03-01-2024, 10:07 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Help Interpreting OSCAR data and making adjustments Catbois 1 173 03-01-2024, 11:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  ASV machine making weird sound on startup and when mask is disconnected kc90 7 285 02-08-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: kc90
  Cannot get water chamber flush with machine, making awful sound like a vacuum kc90 2 210 02-07-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: kc90
Ohmy Aerophagia is making me lose my mind urachan 9 850 01-01-2024, 05:01 AM
Last Post: airwaystent

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.