Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Has anyone had a power cut
Has anyone had a power cut
Hello, I was wondering if anyone has xperienced a power cut while using tbe CPAP Machine, if so what did you all do?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Has anyone had a power cut
According to other postings on this issue, remove your mask to avoid C02 buildup. Then go back to sleep.

If you have serious issues without the Cpap, then you need a battery backup. What you use depends on what machine you have and where you are.

In my area, power outs never last more than about an hour or so unless a tornado came through (and then it was 4 hours). In other areas, getting power back can be days, particularly if you live in a rural area. If you have severe apnea, then a battery backup would be wise.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-12-2015, 03:20 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote: According to other postings on this issue, remove your mask to avoid C02 buildup. Then go back to sleep.

If you have serious issues without the Cpap, then you need a battery backup. What you use depends on what machine you have and where you are.

In my area, power outs never last more than about an hour or so unless a tornado came through (and then it was 4 hours). In other areas, getting power back can be days, particularly if you live in a rural area. If you have severe apnea, then a battery backup would be wise.

Thank you very much for your reply, I have severe at 78 per hour and my oxygene is 86% I have a Philips machine, what type of battery? We are rural I live at 3000feet in the Alps in France
Post Reply Post Reply
I just wake up as soon as the power cuts off. I wait a few minutes to see if it's coming right back.

If it stays off, I get up, unhook the humidifier, hook the tube directly to the machine, grab a battery from the closet, unplug the power supply from the unit and plug the battery in, then go back to sleep. A 35 AH battery will make more than a week for me without recharging.

CO2 will not build up to lethal levels in the mask - they are vented. The masks are, however, harder to breathe through without pressurization. You would probably start mouth breathing unconsciously to make breathing easier anyway.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
I had it happen last night. I woke up when it went off, waited to see if it would back on(it did in about 30 seconds) then carried on as normal. Just in case I have my battery back up close at hand.
Post Reply Post Reply
Early on I turned my machine off to see what would happen.
I could get enough air but it was uncomfortable (PR Wisp) and I imagine I would wake were I asleep and the machine stopped for whatever reason.
Early on I turned my machine off to see what would happen.
I could get enough air but it was uncomfortable (PR Wisp) and I imagine I would wake were I asleep and the machine stopped for whatever reason.
How did that happen?
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
I figure I'll wake up if power goes out -- and have a C-100 CPAP battery in my nightstand drawer ready to go if needed. It can be plugged in a way that keeps power on if an outage is expected but hasn't happened happened yet. Bought it after I had a power outage and panic attack on the 29th day of therapy -- as I thought I'd have to start over to reach 30 days of compliant use! Fortunately, power returned at 2 am that time, and I was able to hit compliance without any mitigating circumstances!

My wife is convinced I'll never need it now that I have it, LOL

"Take it as it comes, specialize in having fun"
-- Jim Morrison
Post Reply Post Reply
"My wife is convinced I'll never need it now that I have it, LOL"
Seems to be the way it goes for me too.
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-12-2015, 02:22 PM)Scared Wrote: Hello, I was wondering if anyone has xperienced a power cut while using tbe CPAP Machine, if so what did you all do?

Not really. Well maybe once. But the barber just put the power thingy down and continued on with scissors.

It worked out fine.

Come to think of it though, I wasn't actually using a CPAP machine at the time. The barber wasn't either. So maybe it doesn't count.
Post Reply Post Reply
We lived full time in our motor home for 12 years staying in RV parks most of the time and had power outages from time to time. I usually woke up fairly quickly. I had an inverter and two large house batteries so I just started the inverter and went back to sleep.
Now that we are settled down and living in a house, at this point I don't have a good solution.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,790 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Airsence 10 Date Resets after Power Outrage Khayyam Qaiser 2 229 01-26-2024, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Khayyam Qaiser
  Philips Respironics DreamStation check power Steve Foley 18 22,415 01-07-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: zebedee
  AirSense 10. Power cable broke on air tube connecting ring. Ruhtra 1 405 11-18-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  AirCurve power problem Shamus54 10 981 10-30-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: Shamus54
  Resmed Airsense 11 blowing full power with no leaks bcodemz 2 870 10-29-2023, 07:57 PM
Last Post: bcodemz
  [Equipment] Portable Backup Power for Outages Craige 4 569 10-29-2023, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Craige

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.