Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Has anyone had a power cut
RE: Has anyone had a power cut
Both ResMed and Philips Respironics machines, and probably most others too, will run off both 120 volt 60 Hz (as used in North America) and the 240 volt 50 Hz found just about everywhere else. You will need either the simple type of adapter to change the geometry of the plug, or a different cord that runs from the wall outlet to the power brick of your CPAP machine, just like you would for a laptop computer.

I use one of those uninterruptable power supplies (UPS) for short outages. For longer term you'll need another solution. The Philips Respironics machines run natively off 12 volt DC so a large lead acid battery can be used. All you need is the pair of cords to connect the battery to your CPAP machine. One of those cords lets you plug the CPAP machine into a cigarette lighter socket, the other lets you connect that cigarette lighter plug directly to battery terminals. These cords have fuse and surge protection. ResMed machines run off 24-volt DC and a special proprietary converter cable is needed so you can run them from a 12-volt battery.

You can buy lithium ion battery packs that are lighter weight, but they are more expensive and don't go as long on a charge.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
What a wonderful bunch of people you are, thank you all so so much. Lynn
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-14-2015, 02:32 AM)ScaredRIDING THE FERRY IN YOUR RV SOUNDS LIKE PARADISE; ARE YOU FROM FRANCE? I BET YOU LIVE IN PARADISE. I HAVE NEVER BEEN TO FRANCE NOR THE ALPS. I HAVE BEEN TO ENGLAND, SPAIN,KOREA, JAPAN,ECT. BUT NEVER FRANCE. MY WIFE DOES NOT LIKE TO FLY SO WE CRUISE WHEN WE CAN. I CAN NOT CARRY MY OXYGEN CONCENTRATOR ABOARD AIRCRAFT.[/size' Wrote:
(05-13-2015, 04:55 PM)Robert Wilson Wrote: [size=large] You will have to check with your travel agent to find the answer to your question of whether your C-pap may work in Greece,some respiratory equipment have a easy way to change to 50 cycle from 60 cycle, and there are gimmicks that will do the same,does your RV float? How will you get to Greece with it? (curious) P.S. Your RV may not be compatible with Greece's current, nor will your power cord from the RV. Please keep me updated, you have my complete attention. RW

Hi Robert, I live in the Alps in France so drive down to Ancona in Italy, from here about 5 hours, then we go on the ferry, it takes about 23 hours and you can camp on board. Lynn

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-12-2015, 02:22 PM)Scared Wrote: Hello, I was wondering if anyone has xperienced a power cut while using the CPAP Machine, if so what did you all do?

I have a power pack in my room for just this issue as my Apnea is rather severe. You can buy portable power packs from nearly anywhere. Make sure to bring one with you if you are traveling.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-14-2015, 03:15 PM)Coach_L Wrote:
(05-12-2015, 02:22 PM)Scared Wrote: Hello, I was wondering if anyone has xperienced a power cut while using the CPAP Machine, if so what did you all do?

I have a power pack in my room for just this issue as my Apnea is rather severe. You can buy portable power packs from nearly anywhere. Make sure to bring one with you if you are traveling.

Hi, yes thats why I need to sort one out, my Apnea was 78 and oxygene went down to 86% so quite bad, I dont think they will allow me to carry on the Plane when I come over to Chicago, think I will have to buy one over there, any Ideas of where please? tbanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh, you should be able to carry on the airlines. Medical equipment (CPAP) is generally OK.

At least on all US carriers.

Post Reply Post Reply
I've been told that the CPAP machine does not count towards your carry-on allotment because it's medical equipment. I will find out for sure when I take a trip this summer. Smile
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-15-2015, 03:26 PM)Sleepster Wrote: I've been told that the CPAP machine does not count towards your carry-on allotment because it's medical equipment. I will find out for sure when I take a trip this summer. Smile
All current Resmed equipment is on the FAA approval list for medical equipment. That includes the S9 models.
[size=x-small]Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) BiLevel Auto
Post Reply Post Reply
Your medical equipment provider should be able to reserve an oxygen concentrator ahead of your airline trip as a courtesy.: :Sleep-well ]
(05-14-2015, 03:15 PM)Coach_L Wrote:

Hi, yes thats why I need to sort one out, my Apnea was 78 and oxygene went down to 86% so quite bad, I dont think they will allow me to carry on the Plane when I come over to Chicago, think I will have to buy one over there, any Ideas of where please? My oxygen concentrator is provided by a nationally established medical equipment company. I can get a courtesy Ox2 reserved at my destination-- pick it up, go to sleep! RW
Post Reply Post Reply
Money 
Wondering: Can you use a bipap for a cpap? RWilson
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Battery power source for ResMed machine MaskedOne 8 156 04-12-2024, 04:42 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,884 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Airsence 10 Date Resets after Power Outrage Khayyam Qaiser 2 244 01-26-2024, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Khayyam Qaiser
  Philips Respironics DreamStation check power Steve Foley 18 22,686 01-07-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: zebedee
  AirSense 10. Power cable broke on air tube connecting ring. Ruhtra 1 426 11-18-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  AirCurve power problem Shamus54 10 1,027 10-30-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: Shamus54
  Resmed Airsense 11 blowing full power with no leaks bcodemz 2 924 10-29-2023, 07:57 PM
Last Post: bcodemz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.