Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

is exhalation relief really necessary?
RE: is exhalation relief really necessary?
(05-13-2013, 04:42 PM)megan_charles Wrote: However, the problem with the F&P Icon is that there is no exhalation relief. And without it, I wake up several times per night with my mouth open and air rushing out.

I don't see how that's related to the exhalation pressure relief. EPR is a comfort feature and if you don't need it there's no reason to have it.

A chin strap is used to help prevent mouth-leaking.

The whining sound could be a result of the elevated breathing rate we have when we first put on the mask. After we calm down our respiration rate falls and the whining goes away.

Both of these issues tend to subside as our bodies and minds adapt to CPAP therapy.

There are several advantages to the ResMed S9 autoset so I would try to keep it if you can. Some white noise in the background helps muffle the sound of the CPAP machine.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: is exhalation relief really necessary?
(05-15-2013, 11:27 AM)Sleepster Wrote:
(05-13-2013, 04:42 PM)megan_charles Wrote: However, the problem with the F&P Icon is that there is no exhalation relief. And without it, I wake up several times per night with my mouth open and air rushing out.

I don't see how that's related to the exhalation pressure relief. EPR is a comfort feature and if you don't need it there's no reason to have it.

The mouth leaking is definitely related to the lack of exhalation pressure relief. There was no mouth leaking on my Respironics machine; then I switched to the Icon and started mouth leaking; switched to a Resmed Autoset and stopped mouth leaking; turned off the exhalation relief on the Resmed and started mouth leaking again. I suspect it's just my body looking for an easier way to expel the air...out the mouth instead of against pressure. Fortunately, it's not enough to raise my leakage stats very high...I'm well under the Resmed 24L/min max.

After throwing my mask across the room a few nights ago because I was so frustrated by the noise of the Resmed Autoset, I decided that the F&P Icon is definitely the right choice for me. I picked it up today, along with a chin strap. Using a fan or other white noise is fine as long as I am at home, but not necessarily possible when travelling. I want a machine I can live with all of the time.

I will order the Infosmart software tomorrow (since I'm in Canada I have to order by phone instead of online). I hope I don't have the same problems with installation that others on this forum have had.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 7 104 Yesterday, 04:42 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 114 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  nasal congestion relief sleepingbetterinFl 2 160 03-23-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Muggzy's Therapy Thread - My quest for relief Muggzy 6 598 01-07-2024, 06:32 PM
Last Post: Muggzy
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,647 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Full Face Mask - Whistle on exhalation slane52186 4 558 10-01-2023, 01:33 PM
Last Post: slane52186
  [Pressure] relief from high pressure sistrunk 3 385 08-20-2023, 11:14 AM
Last Post: Millstone50

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.