Has anyone in a large metero area tried Uber?
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

Sex: Male

Has anyone in a large metero area tried Uber?
I live in the Greater Los Angeles Metro area.
Not in the city of Los Angeles.

I need to visit my ophthalmologist. The "doc" really dilates my pupils.
With my pupils open wide, even with my glasses, it's too bright; and the refractive error from having a wide aperture really comes into play. So, I cannot drive when I see my eye doc -- just would not be safe to not be a 100% on vision.

So, as a recent convert to the smartphone (iPhone 6,) I'm considering using Uber. I have the app. I have visited their website to read their blurb.

Has anyone had experience with them in a large Metro area?
How long does one wait from time of request?
They have 5 levels of service. Which would have more availability?
(I'm thinking uberX)
Do the regard your cell phone number as private?

If you've used them.. your experience please?

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
01-21-2016 07:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Possum Online

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed Airsense Autoset A10
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10
Humidifier: (included in CPAP model)
CPAP Pressure: 8-12
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Innovo CMS-50F+ pulse oximeter

RE: Has anyone in a large metero area tried Uber?
1) I have used Uber many times down in San Diego and have never had a bad experience. All of my drivers have been sane and communicate well, what is a hell of a lot more than I can say for the average taxi driver down here.
2) The wait depends on where you are and how many drivers are around. Obviously, the closer you are to a city center, the more drivers there will be. When you download the app, you will be able to see how many drivers are in your area, and it will give you a time estimate once you confirm your pickup location.
3) UberX has the most availability. They are everyday cars and are just fine unless you have special needs (a slick black SUV to go to a funeral, for example)
4) As far as I know, my cell phone number has not been shared inappropriately by Uber, but who can really confirm that with certainty these days. I haven't gotten any strange calls or an increase in telemarketers, if that's what you mean.

Overall, I think it's an excellent service and have never been dissatisfied. If you decide to try it, your first ride should be offered with some kind of discount, though I forget exactly how much.

Good luck!
01-21-2016 08:09 PM
ketamine Offline

New Members

Machine: resmed s9
Mask Make & Model: none
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: none
CPAP Software: Not using software Other Software

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed
Has anyone had experience with them in a large Metro area?
Used it in Dallas, Memphis, Boston and Las Vegas.

How long does one wait from time of request?
Depend on how far away the nearest driver is at time of request, usually five to 10 minutes, versus calling a cab and being told 15 minutes and then waiting over and hour for a cab to show up.

They have 5 levels of service. Which would have more availability?
(I'm thinking uberX) Never used any thing other than uber X

Do the regard your cell phone number as private?
The driver gets your phone number along with uber, but they may demand a photo of your drivers license in order to use their service.

If you've used them.. your experience please?
I like uber but uber keeps turning my account off. After riding and paying several times, uber turned off my account. They didn't bother to tell me so when I requested a ride the app gives me an error message telling me to email customer support. There is very little customer support at uber, so after several emails over two weeks, I and told to send a photo of my credit card. My account is turned back on, I use Uber for two or three more months then they do it again turn off my account and don't tell me until I try to use their service. Same thing a week or two of emails and a photo of my credit card and my account is turned back on. I used their service for another month or two then they did it a third time, they turn off my account and don't tell me until I try to use their service. This time they don't just want a picture of my credit card but a picture of my driver’s license. I refuse to send in a copy of my license and uber will not answer my emails with anything other than a form letter promising to help fix the problem fallowed by anther demand for a photo of my driver’s license.

I now have Lyft account and use it regularly with the same credit card and have not had any problems with my account. I would suggest if you plan to use the service to get somewhere on a schedule you get a backup like lyft since three times I have had to call a cab since uber keeps turning off my account and refuses to tell me until I try to request a ride.
(This post was last modified: 01-27-2016 08:42 PM by ketamine.)
01-27-2016 08:39 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

(01-27-2016 08:39 PM)ketamine Wrote:  but they may demand a photo of your drivers license in order to use their service.

They won't get it from me.

Thanks for the heads up.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
01-27-2016 09:18 PM
PollCat Offline
Apnea Board Polling Administrator
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit P10
Humidifier: H5i Cleanable with ClimateLine
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 18
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: CPAP-ing since 1995; Type 2 Diabetes; Chronic Asthma; Gout

We had excellent service with Uber in San Francisco; and our neighborhood limo owner has informed us that it's available in the Indianapolis metro area, too (though we have never used it here).
01-27-2016 11:47 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

(01-27-2016 11:47 PM)PollCat Wrote:  We had excellent service with Uber in San Francisco; and our neighborhood limo owner has informed us that it's available in the Indianapolis metro area, too (though we have never used it here).

Say hello to my first cousin in Indy. My dad was born in Indy. A neighborhood on the north side called Ravenswood.

01-28-2016 07:47 AM
cant_sleep_in_nj Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Resmed S8
Mask Make & Model: mirage quattro
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 14
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: Also use a transcend II for travel with a mirage quattro full face mask

used it for the first time last week. typical wait time was about 6-7 minutes. im totally sold on the service. much better than cabs, no comparison.

i did not provide my drivers license and would never. but im only a passenger, maybe the drivers need to provide the DL ?
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2016 07:00 AM by cant_sleep_in_nj.)
01-29-2016 06:59 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
cakeator Offline

New Members

Machine: DreamStation Auto CPAP
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Eson
Humidifier: DreamStation
CPAP Pressure: 4-20 Autopap
CPAP Software: EncorePro

Other Comments:

I live in Queens NY and will occasionally use Uber X when out late in Manhattan or far out Brooklyn. Sure it's more than my metrocard but getting home in 15 - 20 min vs over an hour late at night on the subway is worth it. All my drivers have been nice and professional. One was a bit speedy but it was late and I didn't mind. I never had to show ID and never would flash my license. I also like that the $ is taken care of on the app so no pulling out the wallet. For the perpetually tired, it beats falling asleep on the subway.
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2016 04:03 PM by cakeator.)
02-11-2016 04:02 PM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

(02-11-2016 04:02 PM)cakeator Wrote:  I live in Queens NY and will occasionally use Uber X when out late in Manhattan or far out Brooklyn. Sure it's more than my metrocard but getting home in 15 - 20 min vs over an hour late at night on the subway is worth it. All my drivers have been nice and professional. One was a bit speedy but it was late and I didn't mind. I never had to show ID and never would flash my license. I also like that the $ is taken care of on the app so no pulling out the wallet. For the perpetually tired, it beats falling asleep on the subway.
Welcome

What we hear about NYC is: If you fall asleep on the subway late at night, you'll wake up with everything missing Eat-popcorn

02-11-2016 04:21 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PollCat Offline
Apnea Board Polling Administrator
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit P10
Humidifier: H5i Cleanable with ClimateLine
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 18
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: CPAP-ing since 1995; Type 2 Diabetes; Chronic Asthma; Gout

(02-11-2016 04:21 PM)justMongo Wrote:  What we hear about NYC is: If you fall asleep on the subway late at night, you'll wake up with everything missing Eat-popcorn

....and in some part of the 5 boroughs you never intended to visit! Oh-jeez
02-12-2016 04:28 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Exclaimation Anyone travelling from London area to U.S. anytime soon? TiredToo 3 442 07-16-2015 05:40 PM
Last Post: TiredToo