Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need Advice on CPAP Machine - Two Days to Decide
RE: Need Advice on CPAP Machine - Two Days to Decide
(02-18-2019, 11:58 AM)DanGagner Wrote: My son in law has used the autosense for a couple of years now. When I put his SD card in Sleepyhead, which he'd never used, his AHI is consistently 0.0 to 0.5. My dreamstation for me is usually about 1.6-2.5. We both feel good in the morning. We (cleaned) and switched machines, not masks, for a couple of evenings when he visited once just to try a different machine. We changed settings to our own for those evenings.

My AHI dropped to 0.0 His moved to 2.6. We switched results when we switched machines. At first I thought that his machine was doing a better job. But our wives indicated that we still had noticeable air sucking, obstructive episodes a few times that they noticed when they were awake. Maybe a couple in an hour. So....if we are having episodes I'm thinking that the dreamstation might be giving a more accurate reading? Or it could be some other reason.

That was awhile ago. He still indicates that his AHI is usually 0.0 each night but he knows that not to be the case from observation.

That was a very interesting switch test!  Thank you - this helps to put it in further perspective.  It sounds like that even though AHI is calculated the same way between the two machines, the flagging thresholds are different.

I wish there were more solid information on the algorithms.  PubMed had a couple of interesting studies, but none featured the Dreamstation per se and I don't know if the Respironics machine in the study used the same algorithm as Dreamstation.

If I can consistently stay under 5 and feel good, I may not mess with success and stay with the Dreamstation.
Post Reply Post Reply
I didn't want to make this a ResMed Vs Phillips discussion. I was mainly curious. When I first joined the board, I was lost and Sleeprider got me set up and I have been running fine ever since. I only got the Philips for a lot of traveling I will be doing and because the ResMed Mini had not so good of reviews. I get a good nights sleep with both, but the 10 is definitely a quieter machine and sometimes I have to check to see if it is turned on.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-18-2019, 12:18 PM)txrpls Wrote: I didn't want to make this a ResMed Vs Phillips discussion. I was mainly curious. When I first joined the board, I was lost and Sleeprider got me set up and I have been running fine ever since. I only got the Philips for a lot of traveling I will be doing and because the ResMed Mini had not so good of reviews. I get a good nights sleep with both, but the 10 is definitely a quieter machine and sometimes I have to check to see if it is turned on.

I appreciate that.  It is precisely the question I'm trying to answer though so direct comparisons between the two are exactly what I'm looking for.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been looking at my data and no doubt the Dreamstation is pretty sophisticated.  I've also seen it respond very quickly in some cases.  My wife has one and has had great numbers and feels pretty good with it most of the time.  

I just started to get my AHI under 5 for almost a week in a row.  The thing that pushed me into switching to a ResMed Airsense Auto 10 is that for the past four days I have been fighting the machine.  When I'm still breathing out it started hitting me with airflow.  This makes for some "uncomfortable" breathing to say the least.  I don't know why this started happening because I've had many mornings when I woke up and couldn't tell it was there.

Last night my wife told me my Dreamstation was sounding loud.  It was - because it was working hard and I was working hard trying to keep up with it Smile.  Over the past few days I've also noticed that I've subconsciously synched my breathing to the machine and woke up breathing quickly for no apparent reason.

I'm still in my compliance period and in theory should be able to get the Resmed at no additional cost.  I've felt pretty good using the Dreamstation even if the AHI was not good all the time.  I hope I'll also feel good using the Resmed.  The order is being written this morning and hopefully I'll be good to go with the Resmed by the end of the week.
Post Reply Post Reply
The way you are describing the breathing pressure response sounds very much like a BiPAP machine.  BiPAPs have a minimum and maximum time setting before before it initiates the inhale pressure.  I've seen many posts here of users reporting that the maximum time was set too short, thus causing the same condition as you described.    I've never seen anyone report this problem on a CPAP version.  Out of curiosity, what is the model number of your unit?

One caveat; I'm a Resmed user, so what do I know.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-26-2019, 10:17 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: The way you are describing the breathing pressure response sounds very much like a BiPAP machine.  BiPAPs have a minimum and maximum time setting before before it initiates the inhale pressure.  I've seen many posts here of users reporting that the maximum time was set too short, thus causing the same condition as you described.    I've never seen anyone report this problem on a CPAP version.  Out of curiosity, what is the model number of your unit?

One caveat; I'm a Resmed user, so what do I know.

It's a Dreamstation Auto CPAP 500x using AFlex so it is BiPAP like to a limited extent.  I had tried CFlex (didn't care for that either), but didn't see an AHI under 5 until I switched to AFlex.  I also switched to an F30 mask the same day so who knows what actually brought me under 5.  

My understanding is that the Dreamstation APAP in Aflex is predictive of your breathing, but that the ResMed AutoSet actually follows your breathing.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 44 1,806 57 minutes ago
Last Post: akarifur
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 300 8 hours ago
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 177 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 92 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 869 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 309 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 629 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.