Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Has anyone seen heart rate fluctuations like this?
Has anyone seen heart rate fluctuations like this?
This was a very odd night. I didn't sleep terribly well the last half. But during part of the night, I had these weird  heart rate fluctuations.  I've never really seen this before. I was on Multaq for AFIB but stopped that months ago, since I never had a recurrance. I doubt this is AFIB, as I never have AFIB during the day. So why is my HR flucuating up and down so much?

Is this a sensor error? I lay pretty still all night long. I'm thinking about taking this to my cardiologist, because he did ask me previously if I wanted another heart monitor to wear for a few days.

[Image: zVnKf6D.jpg]
[Image: KNgn0nX.png][Image: srDxKvq.png]
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto
Pressure EPAP min 4.4, IPAP 8.4, IPAP Max 18, PS 4.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Has anyone seen heart rate fluctuations like this?
AFib is a progressive disorder...it doesn't correct itself.  I was told this by my cardiologist and subsequently read the same thing on various websites.  Once you are prescribed a beta blocker, you are on it for life.  Additionally, in order to minimize the chance of developing a substantial clot in the poorly-emptying atrium during its 'seizures', you must be on a blood thinner....also for the rest of your life.

I can't address your question with the information posted, mostly because I am not a cardiologist.  Maybe that person was the one who said to stop taking your prescribed medication...?  But, you should definitely consult a qualified professional about your misgivings, particularly if you are feeling anxious, feel weird sensations in your chest wall, are short of breath, have changes in your apnea, your weight, your sleeping quality, etc.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-19-2019, 08:24 AM)MyronH Wrote: This was a very odd night. I didn't sleep terribly well the last half. But during part of the night, I had these weird  heart rate fluctuations.  I've never really seen this before. I was on Multaq for AFIB but stopped that months ago, since I never had a recurrance. I doubt this is AFIB, as I never have AFIB during the day. So why is my HR flucuating up and down so much?

Is this a sensor error? I lay pretty still all night long. I'm thinking about taking this to my cardiologist, because he did ask me previously if I wanted another heart monitor to wear for a few days.

[Image: KNgn0nX.png][Image: srDxKvq.png][Image: zVnKf6D.jpg]

It seems the smartest thing would be to schedule an appointment with your cardiologist as soon as you can.

I have a few friends who had a-fib...  One of them temporarily used an iphone back-plate that would tell him precisely if he was in a-fib mode.  I believe it sold for about $100. I would assume Android has one as well, but I'm not sure.  I believe the information was sent remotely to his doctor.

Another one of my friends was prescribed meds by Kaiser for a-fib and they did not want to perform the surgery required to stop the afib. I guess that the expense involved "may have been a factor".   When he turned 65 he signed up for medicare, left Kaiser and I believe had the surgery done at Stanford.  I've heard that the meds are only a band-aid for afib, and that the surgery is a better approach.  Of course, this is based on what I've heard my friends say.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm already on a blood thinner (Xarelto) for past DVT/PE and a clotting disorder, and for potential AFIB. I was taken off Multaq for AFIB, since both my cardiologist and electrophyisiologist agreed it was not doing anything for me. They said that eventually AFIB breaks through the medicine, especially before the 1yr mark. I was already on the medicine over 1yr, with no AFIB recurrence.

I have a Kardia Mobile ECG device for detecting AFIB with my android phone. I used it last night a couple times when I woke up but it just showed normal rhythm. I use it routinely every day just to check and it hasn't once showed AFIB. My first and only AFIB incident where i was in the hospital was back in 2017.

I will not take Multaq ever again, because it was causing some weird side effects. I would be sitting and then stand up, and feel like I'm going to pass out. It also caused extreme diahrea, palpitations, and bradycardia. My heart rate would go into the 40's-50's at night and I'd feel cold.

I sent messages to my cardiologist and electrophysiologist and going to talk with them tomorrow about these results. Maybe they will give me a heart monitor for a few days again. The Contec Oximeter just counts heart rate, and is not an ECG. They gave me extra "beta blocker" medicines to take if I get a fast heart rate.
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-19-2019, 06:10 PM)MyronH Wrote: I'm already on a blood thinner (Xarelto) for past DVT/PE and a clotting disorder, and for potential AFIB. I was taken off Multaq for AFIB, since both my cardiologist and electrophyisiologist agreed it was not doing anything for me. They said that eventually AFIB breaks through the medicine, especially before the 1yr mark. I was already on the medicine over 1yr, with no AFIB recurrence.

I have a Kardia Mobile ECG device for detecting AFIB with my android phone. I used it last night a couple times when I woke up but it just showed normal rhythm.  I use it routinely every day just to check and it hasn't once showed AFIB. My first and only AFIB incident where i was in the hospital was back in 2017.

I will not take Multaq ever again, because it was causing some weird side effects. I would be sitting and then stand up, and feel like I'm going to pass out. It also caused extreme diahrea, palpitations, and bradycardia. My heart rate would go into the 40's-50's at night and I'd feel cold.

I sent messages to my cardiologist and electrophysiologist and going to talk with them tomorrow about these results. Maybe they will give me a heart monitor for a few days again. The Contec Oximeter just counts heart rate, and is not an ECG. They gave me extra "beta blocker" medicines to take if I get a fast heart rate.

Myron-

I'm glad you don't have recurrences of afib.  Best of luck to you with your meeting with your doctors tomorrow!  It's great you are being proactive about this rather than glossing over it like people sometimes do.  Keep us posted on how you're doing.  -sb
Post Reply Post Reply
I understand better what you have been dealing with, and thanks for your patient explanation.  If it helps the least bit, I was placed on a low dosage of metoprolol tartrate, an ancient but tried treatment for AFib.  At first I experienced the general slowness and lack of zip that you describe, and I definitely can no longer run at the same pace, nor cycle.  But it has kept a lid on my bouts of AFib, even when climbing long flights of stairs where I have to catch my breath at the top, about 130' higher then at the bottom (outdoors on a spit at the ocean, where they climb as part of a coastal trail).  Cycling as hard as I dare also doesn't seem to bring on AFib, even though my two earliest experiences years ago with AFib were while pushing hard on a bicycle. 

So, if it turns out that you do have AFib occasionally, or more frequently than it seems, perhaps you need another type of rate control medicine.  Perhaps some of your anxiety is based on the fact that your cardiologist has turned you loose and you suspect he might have played free and loose with your health...and that you still have the sensations that mimic AFib.  IOW, your subconscious is mostly what's making you miserable because you fear subconsciously that you are not treated properly.

I'm glad to see that you are taking a thinner.  Without a blocker/rate control medication, it's about the only thing between you and the Big One.
Post Reply Post Reply
The question is why does this only happen at night?

I have never seen this during the day, and my fitness watch continously records my HR, and it never shows these fluctuations. My doctor did diagnose me with "Inappropriate sinus tachycardia", where sometimes my HR will be much higher for no reason. This is partially what you see here in the charts. My average HR that night was much higher, in the 70's-80's. And at one point it hit 110bpm. I'm usually in 60's.
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto

Post Reply Post Reply
Kardia monitor isnt very reliable, you need atleast a 3 lead device stuck to your chest to make any decent measurement.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-21-2019, 01:48 PM)crowtor Wrote: Kardia monitor isnt very reliable, you need atleast a 3 lead device stuck to your chest to make any decent measurement.

maybe Xarelto is messing up your blood viscosity.

have you used warfarin before going on xarelto? did you have these issues then?

I already mentioned xarelto as the possible culprit, but you keep ignoring it apparently. Your doctor probably 'reassured' you its a good drug, just like thousands of other doctors 'reassured' their tens of thousands of patients before they died of bleeding. I won't speak of this again, in case it bothers you.

I don't know anything about the blood complications and other issues being faced by Myron.   -  Re the AFIB monitor used on the back of Iphones, my friend had/has one of the best Afib Doctors in the Country (U.S.) and he had him using that monitor. I'm sure it must have served some beneficial purpose.  - - Since then, my friend had the aFib surgery and I guess the afib is behind him now.

It could very well be due to the other complications Myron is facing that the surgery may not be an option... ???   Hopefully by now, Myron has had the chance to talk with his doctors to get an idea about what's going on... I sure hope so!
Post Reply Post Reply
Kardia is FDA approved to detect afib. Even my blood pressure monitor detected my initial afib episode. 

Kardia now has a new 6 lead device that was just released. But that's not needed to detect just afib. Look at the Apple watch. That just uses led light to detect afib and that is accurate.
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 1 37 4 hours ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 0 51 Yesterday, 01:27 PM
Last Post: xaid
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 2 54 Yesterday, 12:27 PM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 85 Yesterday, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic
  Help with spotting flow rate RERA's apnea505 3 141 03-14-2024, 02:57 PM
Last Post: apnea505
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 8 132 03-14-2024, 01:15 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Equipment] O2 ring/weird heart rate/no other symptoms jdavis 6 163 03-09-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.