Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Has anyone tried repairing a hole in a mask cushion?
RE: Has anyone tried repairing a hole in a mask cushion?
Ah, then yeah, there's no telling how old it is. Probably dry rot.

That's a bummer.

Where the other masks gotten at the same time?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-16-2012, 07:55 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Where the other masks gotten at the same time?

Nope. All my spare parts are inside sealed ResMed bags, ordered from suppliers no. 1 and no. 9, and from various eBay sellers. Since I am not using a local DME and all the parts have a limited life, I have purchased spares of everything except a backup machine and the short hose (although I have a complete spare mask which includes a short hose). I also have a nasal pillows system that I haven't tried using yet.

When I placed the spare mask cushion next to the mask, I noticed that the old cushion has a yellow tinge. Is this normal once you begin use it, or is this a sign of deterioration or poor cleaning?

What is the purpose of the short hose? I used the mask the first few nights without the short hose, but I didn't notice any difference when I added it.
Post Reply Post Reply
The first mask bought didn't realized till later that wasn't new as the box was opened the bag not sealed either
Probably the greedy took advantage of my innocence and sold me a sample Crying-into-tissue
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-16-2012, 08:09 PM)big_dave Wrote: When I placed the spare mask cushion next to the mask, I noticed that the old cushion has a yellow tinge. Is this normal once you begin use it, or is this a sign of deterioration or poor cleaning?

What is the purpose of the short hose? I used the mask the first few nights without the short hose, but I didn't notice any difference when I added it.
I think the tinge is to do with skin contact as it make the cushion goes yellowy and nothing to do with cleaning.
The short hose usually used with the nasal pillows

Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, mine get that yellow look fairly quickly since I have very oily skin. Washing helps some but not enough. When it stops cleaning up enough, it is time for a new pair.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-16-2012, 08:17 PM)zonk Wrote: The short hose usually used with the nasal pillows

No. My unused nasal pillows system has its own short hose which is different. I also have an identical spare mask (a Mirage Activa) in a sealed bag which has an identical short hose. I want to avoid opening this just to get the short hose.
Post Reply Post Reply
It could be the short hose was just a left over piece from another mask.

Many masks have a short, cloudy-clear whiteish kinda hose that goes from the mask to the main hose from the machine.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-16-2012, 08:49 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Many masks have a short, cloudy-clear whiteish kinda hose that goes from the mask to the main hose from the machine.

This is exactly the type of hose I'm referring to, and it was not from another mask. As far as I can tell, it is included with the mask either to reduce wear and tear on the long hose, or because people expect a short hose to be included with the mask. This makes it nonessential since it has two standard ends, so I won't worry about getting a spare.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-16-2012, 08:49 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: It could be the short hose was just a left over piece from another mask.

Many masks have a short, cloudy-clear whiteish kinda hose that goes from the mask to the main hose from the machine.

What is the purpose of this short hose? I got one with my new mask. It was the first time one of my mask's came with this short plastic hose. I took it off because I didn't like it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have always assumed it is to assist with taking the weight of the heavier hose and displacing it to slightly further away. The end of that hose is heavy and can shift a mask out of place.

Some masks cannot function with out it, like those where the hose goes up to the forehead as part of the headgear.

I have always used it in an effort to do all I can to keep the mask in place. My current mask (the Breeze) has to have one due to design.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 501 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  P10 modification advice - where are the hole pokers at? her.suit 5 426 01-15-2024, 01:26 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Switch to memory foam cushion? Toddsims 4 515 12-28-2023, 12:14 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Very intermittent nasal cushion collapse BillfromMissouri2 4 383 12-10-2023, 10:43 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  F20 Touch (foam) cushion --Longer Use and Larger Leaks snorin2 18 1,984 09-26-2023, 03:09 PM
Last Post: SideSleeper
Surprised ResMed AirFit N30 Nasal Cushion & P10 pillows WW4B 1 730 08-15-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: cdplatt

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.