Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Has anyone tried the Ryobi 18v inverter to power their CPAP?
RE: Has anyone tried the Ryobi 18v inverter to power their CPAP?
I ordered two (2) of the Ryobi 6a high-performance batteries, and they arrived yesterday.

Last night I used them in the inverter to power my Dreamstation 2 with its normal settings (for me).

Each battery was brand-new and fully charged within 12 hours of usage.

Battery 1 powered the DS2 for 3:40 minutes, battery 2 for 3:50 minutes.

With the ability to get 7+ hours of usage with 1 battery change from the 6a h-p batteries, I'm good with this as a battery backup system. If needed, I could use the remaining batteries (a mixture of 2, 3, 4a) to get a second night's sleep.

The new out-of-pocket cost was about $200 for the inverter and the two 6a h-p batteries.

There's a post on FB where someone is building a DC setup using another brand of power tool batteries. It would be fairly simple to use my Ryobi batteries in that setup. I may look into that, but the urgency isn't there now with this in my pocket. That would be more of an interesting project.

Again, I hope this is of use to others...
Post Reply Post Reply
I bought the Golabs R300 power supply from Amazon for $200 it has the Lifepo4 batteries. I also bought the generic dc to dc converter cord from Amazon for $36.

I have a Resmed 10 autoset.   My test of the run time was with humidifier turned off, water in tank.

It ran 4 nights at a little over 8 hrs every night for a total of 33.5 hrs.  With 11% of battery left.

The R300 goes on sale every now and then or has a discount coupon. I saw it not to long ago for $175.

Read up on the Lifepo4 battery technology. Great choice for back up batteries.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: GoLabs...

Thanks for the response. This looks like a great option to have, especially if someone has a frequent need for something like this. I don't...we don't go off-grid/camping and we've only had 2-3 power interruptions at home in the past 5-7 years, and it's possible that we will be moving to a home that has a full-house fail-over generator.

I went with the Ryobi inverter mainly because I had a bunch of batteries already. Even if I needed to get larger batteries, I was okay with that since I can add them into my tool rotation.

I also have the Kobalt 80v power tools (mower, blower, hedge-trimmer, weed-whacker, 6 batteries) and I may pick up that inverter to check it out. But again, I'm trying to make do with the power (batteries) I already have.

Again, thanks for the feedback and suggestions!
Post Reply Post Reply
I've used my dewalt power pack for my apap and it works really well
Post Reply Post Reply
Kobalt 80v inverter
Just to give a final (probably) update on this...

Since I have 5-6 of the Kobalt 80v 2a batteries I decided to pick up the 80v inverter and give that a shot. 

The first night I used it (again, with my Dreamstation 2 set to my normal settings, which includes humidification, heating, etc) I got 3 hours of power from 1 battery. At that point I switched back over to regular power.

To be honest, I was disappointed with this experiment. I hoped for a longer run time with the larger 80v batteries. 

Before I took the inverter back, I decided to give it another try last night.

I used 2 more batteries, freshly charged, and got 4 hours out of each one of them. This is certainly acceptable since I normally wake up 1-2 times each night. 

I'll likely try a couple more of the batteries I have and see what the duration is for each. I suspect that as they age/get more usage, their capacity/charge life gets shorter. It's certainly possible that the first battery I used was one of my older ones.

With all that said, I'll likely return the 80v inverter and just stick with the Ryobi 18v for emergencies. The Ryobi is a smaller inverter, the batteries are smaller and cheaper, and I can get 2-3 nights sleep out of the stock that I have. 

The Kobalt inverter is larger and costs more, and the same for the batteries (larger and more expensive).
Post Reply Post Reply
Good report. It will certainly help others. As you have found, having to use an inverter requires a lot of power because the inverter itself also requires power. With that knowledge, a person that lives in a area that suffers power outages on a regular basis should own a cpap unit like the resmed Autoset 10. Then you only have to convert 12 volt dc to 24 volt dc. You don’t need a power hungry inverter.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ryobi 18v 9a HP battery test
So...

I got my hands on a couple of Ryobi 18v 9amp high-performance batteries so I could test them with my DS2 (normal settings, APAP, heated tube, and humidification) and see how long they would last.

Both of the batteries were pretty new (charged less than 3 times each) and I charged each before using them. 

The first night, battery 1 lasted for ~5 hours. The second night, battery 2 lasted for ~5 hours also.

So, to summarize all of the battery's performance:

Battery        High Perf   ~Duration
Amperage    Battery?      HH:MM
2 amp              No              1:00
3 amp              No              1:30
4 amp              No              2:00
6 amp              Yes            3:45
9 amp              Yes             5:00

And as always, your mileage may vary.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-30-2022, 03:30 PM)JJJ Wrote: I have a ton of Ryobi tools, both 18v and 40v, plus a dozen batteries of each voltage, so when I suddenly noticed the inverters for sale I bought the 40v one. I tried it with a 6 amp-hour 40v battery, and it lasted for about six hours. I used it for my Resmed S9 BiPAP, set to 15-25cm, but without even having the humidifier attached, and an ordinary non-heated hose. But bear in mind that the inverter changes the 40v DC from the battery to 120v AC ('cause I'm in North America), so there's a lot of power loss. Instead of the inverter if you used a simple DC-to-DV stepdown transformer to the voltage that your xPAP machine needs, a 6AH battery should power your machine for twice as long. But if you're using 18v batteries I think the biggest ones available are 4AH.

Most of my batteries are third-party, not genuine Ryobi, because you can get them online for half the price of the Ryobi batteries. Yes, my setup is horribly inefficient, but it was also dirt cheap because I already had the batteries. All it cost me was the price of the inverter.

And don't worry about the sine wave; my inverter ran the PAP machine flawlessly.

I've thought of trying the Ryobi 40 volt also.  I'm at a similar pressure, but I can't manage without a humidifier.  So, I figure I'm probably running my machine closer to all out.  The AC supply is rated for 80 watts if I recall correctly.  Being kind of conservative I figure the 240 watt hours in a 6 amp hour, 40 volt battery would last only around 3 hours.  Granted, my machine may not really be taking the full 80 watts, but there is also significant loss in the inverter.  Since the usual rule of thumb is to cut run time in half if you're using a humidifier, your 6 hours sounds about right without the humidifier.  So, that tells me my 3 hour estimate is probably pretty close. 

Ryobi does have an inverter that can hold 4 batteries, so that might do the job.  But that's pretty expensive.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-08-2022, 07:41 PM)HairyReasoner Wrote: Ryobi does have an inverter that can hold 4 batteries, so that might do the job.  But that's pretty expensive.

Wow! I didn't know about the inverter that can hold four batteries! I'll check it out. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone.
I'm very interested.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,792 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Airsence 10 Date Resets after Power Outrage Khayyam Qaiser 2 229 01-26-2024, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Khayyam Qaiser
  Philips Respironics DreamStation check power Steve Foley 18 22,427 01-07-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: zebedee
  AirSense 10. Power cable broke on air tube connecting ring. Ruhtra 1 405 11-18-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  AirCurve power problem Shamus54 10 981 10-30-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: Shamus54
  Resmed Airsense 11 blowing full power with no leaks bcodemz 2 871 10-29-2023, 07:57 PM
Last Post: bcodemz
  [Equipment] Portable Backup Power for Outages Craige 4 570 10-29-2023, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Craige

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.