Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Has anyone used a cheap manometer to test their pressure?
RE: Has anyone used a cheap manometer to test their pressure?
(10-25-2017, 04:57 AM)Miastar Wrote: Was it accurate? 

I bought my machine from a company in the States (I'm in the UK) who suggested I double check if the pressure is really inaccurate (as it feels) before sending another replacement. He told me that in the States you can just go to any CPAP outlet and have them test your machine for free in literally 2 mins. 

This doesn't seem to case over here. I contacted Philips Respironics UK who wouldn't do it, one of the major cpap distrbutors over here would also wouldn't do it and a Sleep Apnea Association who initially wanted to charge me £180 for a consultation in order to do it although eventually offered to do it for free when I said it was free 2 min job in the States...but kind of reluctantly and the office is a fair bit away from me. 

I think it would be simpler to just buy a cheap manometer on Amazon to do it but reviews are mixed, thoughts?

I took my machine to the local university when they refused to believe my machine dropped in pressure.
I told the guy there what the problem what I thought the machine was doing, he got a class to check the readings and low and behold he had a class doing the checking instead of theory and they found it was indeed dropping pressure and gave me a letter to hand in to the Sleep Clinic with a load of signatures on it.  One from a professor, a lecturer and around 25 students.
They didn't argue and gave me a new machine on the spot (but kept my letter) and when another machine started to do the same, they just said they would have a new one waiting.
The lecturer said something about it not just being pressure, but it was to do with flow rates and some other jargon, I stopped listening at some point.
You can't just block the end and see what the pressure is apparently!  But then he appeared to know what the machine was for as soon as he saw it.
However, he was the man in the know and not me.  I must have looked blank at one point as he stopped speaking and said "Anyway, we will test it for you, come back around 4pm".
Nice one guys, as it was coming up for Christmas they had a huge box of chocolate covered sweets/candy dropped off for their help.
The guy said the students had shown more interest in working things out that day that had for a month Wink
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Test results Kmzizzle 18 1,552 04-12-2024, 10:36 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Using CPAP machine to perform Sleep test ivan007 3 158 04-02-2024, 03:28 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 4 262 03-28-2024, 05:55 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Pressure] Request Recommendation for a Dial Manometer Samwrites 4 189 03-24-2024, 09:59 AM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Need help interpeing Lofta test results. LoftaUser 0 160 03-07-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: LoftaUser
  Self-administered sleep test? BlueSky1958 6 301 02-29-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Doubts about my diagnosis? (Test results + First night with CPAP) IAXEM 14 981 02-26-2024, 03:46 PM
Last Post: IAXEM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.