Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Has anyone used a cheap manometer to test their pressure?
Has anyone used a cheap manometer to test their pressure?
Was it accurate? 

I bought my machine from a company in the States (I'm in the UK) who suggested I double check if the pressure is really inaccurate (as it feels) before sending another replacement. He told me that in the States you can just go to any CPAP outlet and have them test your machine for free in literally 2 mins. 

This doesn't seem to case over here. I contacted Philips Respironics UK who wouldn't do it, one of the major cpap distrbutors over here would also wouldn't do it and a Sleep Apnea Association who initially wanted to charge me £180 for a consultation in order to do it although eventually offered to do it for free when I said it was free 2 min job in the States...but kind of reluctantly and the office is a fair bit away from me. 

I think it would be simpler to just buy a cheap manometer on Amazon to do it but reviews are mixed, thoughts?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Has anyone used a cheap manometer to test their pressure?
There was some discussion on here if you have an unheated hose and set a fixed pressure of say 10cm you can stuff the hose in a long vase of water and at 10cm (4 Inches) below the surface bubbles will stop coming out the end.

A bit rough and ready but it's free to try.

Jason
Post Reply Post Reply
Miastar, we have an article that shows the plans for making your own accurate manometer from common materials you may have on-hand at home. http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ew-dollars

Purchasing an inexpensive manometer or magnehelic gauge from an online source is certainly a good way to get a good sense of your machine's calibration, but you could build this contraption inexpensively.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sending you a pm
Post Reply Post Reply
Yup, just turn on the CPAP machine and instead of attaching a mask to the hose, stick that end of the hose under water. Bubbles will blow. Continue to submerge until the bubbles stop. The depth at which the bubbles just stop blowing is the CPAP pressure. So, for example, if you must submerge the hose end to a depth of 10 cm to get the bubbles to stop, the CPAP pressure is 10 cm H2O.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Cool 
(10-26-2017, 07:22 PM)Sleepster Wrote: Yup, just turn on the CPAP machine and instead of attaching a mask to the hose, stick that end of the hose under water. Bubbles will blow. Continue to submerge until the bubbles stop. The depth at which the bubbles just stop blowing is the CPAP pressure. So, for example, if you must submerge the hose end to a depth of 10 cm to get the bubbles to stop, the CPAP pressure is 10 cm H2O.

Cleaver Über-kewl science you can do in the comfort of your own home! GoodOne
Post Reply Post Reply
with auto, does it really matter? the machine will put out the pressure it needs. It would only be when maxing at 20, where it could be an issue.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-27-2017, 12:28 AM)ajack Wrote: with auto, does it really matter?

Yes, it does.

Quote:the machine will put out the pressure it needs. It would only be when maxing at 20, where it could be an issue.

You set the max. You can set it at 20 if you want, but if the machine is creating only 5 when it's reading 20 then the machine is faulty and you're not getting enough pressure to keep your airway from collapsing.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with ajack in if your not getting any events and your machine is off a little it doesn't matter. The machine is doing it's job.

Now if the machine can't deal with the events than it becomes a problem.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Have you tested the pressure yet ? What’s the verdict
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 2 91 Yesterday, 04:39 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  [Pressure] Request Recommendation for a Dial Manometer Samwrites 4 119 03-24-2024, 09:59 AM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Need help interpeing Lofta test results. LoftaUser 0 131 03-07-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: LoftaUser
  Self-administered sleep test? BlueSky1958 6 211 02-29-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Doubts about my diagnosis? (Test results + First night with CPAP) IAXEM 14 879 02-26-2024, 03:46 PM
Last Post: IAXEM
  Home Sleep apnea test xaid 5 865 02-21-2024, 09:28 PM
Last Post: BDayton
  Taking a sleep test while on CPAP? hydra 4 353 02-21-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: MikeR20

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.