Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Has anyone used the Total Face mask with the Resmed Vpap Auto Adapt?
Has anyone used the Total Face mask with the Resmed Vpap Auto Adapt?
The combination of my prescribed pressure setting of 24 and the Full Face mask made it an ongoing nightmare with my Philips Respironics machine ASV Bipap to keep a seal that did not have a squealing leak into my eyes or elsewhere going on. I had the Quattro mask and changed cushions regularly and headgear and so on. I had the whole thing dialed in to basically having two weeks out of three months of great use of the new cushion in perfect flexible condition.

The pressure of the mask on my face aggravated a tooth to the point I had to have it extracted. The total mask avoids that area.

The question is: I see the Resmed S9 Vpap Adapt has a mask fit feature. Does this feature work with the Total Face mask? In my case that would be the Respironics Fitlife.

Thanks now, goodonya

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Has anyone used the Total Face mask with the Resmed Vpap Auto Adapt?
I use a ResMed S8 VPAP Auto 25 at 20cmH2O and from all of my experimentation with only one ffm was not able to maintain a reliable seal until I went back to a nasal mask. I think this is due to simple physics. The larger area of the ffm means more force pushing the mask away from the face. There may be some ffm that seals at the higher PAP that you and I use but I am not sure which one it might be.

My machine has the mask fit feature but I have never used it. My impression from the info that I have read is that the mask fit feature gives you a leakage display at full pressure when the machine is first turned on before it goes into ramp mode.

Best Regards and best of luck,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
The mask fit feature is just a leak check...as PaytonA noted, it gives you pretty much a full-pressure (on the S9 Autoset I have, that means 20cm H2O) run to help with adjusting the fit...but that's about all the feature does. The feature is independent of the mask being used and worked the same for my pillows, nasal mask and ffm. It does not calibrate the machine for the intentional leak rate or anything like that.

If you have the Total Face mask available and want to see if it's got a hope at that sort of pressure, the mask fit feature may help you out with that, but that's about all I've found it is useful for: fit adjustments (like after replacing a headgear or cushion) and "quick checks" to see if a mask has a hope of working with my face shape / size.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not much help to you with your questions. I am replying first to give you hope, and that perhaps a few of the stuff I have gone through may (or may not) be a help to you.

Currently, I am on a bi-level that is on AUTO, with a MIN EPAP of '7'and a PS of '8' and a MAX of '25' - so that means I bounce between '7' and '15' 90% of the time or so. I use a 'Wisp' nasal mask, and my new favorite FFM is a 'Nuance'. Of course, what works for one may well not work for another.

In hopes I ask the following? Do you know when/why your pressure is set so high? Was it chosen by you based on studying software results, or by a single sleep study, etc? My thinking (hoping) is that perhaps you may not actually need such a pressure? Or that perhaps, time, or some changes have happened that might suggest a new study?

I was found to have OSA many years ago. Back then, machines were not data capable, and I was on a CPAP set at 19. Some two years later I had my nose repair work done, and then right after had some throat surgery (removed mr flappy, nuked the base of my tongue- stuff like that) - it did not get me off the machine, but it did get my pressure lowered to a much more comfortable place.

If you don't mind, would you be willing to share a bit more of your history with us? This may allow some of the others to possibly make some helpful suggestions?
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-09-2014, 03:54 AM)goodonya Wrote: The combination of my prescribed pressure setting of 24 and the Full Face mask made it an ongoing nightmare with my Philips Respironics machine ASV Bipap to keep a seal that did not have a squealing leak into my eyes or elsewhere going on. I had the Quattro mask and changed cushions regularly and headgear and so on. I had the whole thing dialed in to basically having two weeks out of three months of great use of the new cushion in perfect flexible condition.

The pressure of the mask on my face aggravated a tooth to the point I had to have it extracted. The total mask avoids that area.

The question is: I see the Resmed S9 Vpap Adapt has a mask fit feature. Does this feature work with the Total Face mask? In my case that would be the Respironics Fitlife.

Thanks now, goodonya

you can replace your cushion monthly for a FFM and with nasal masks you can get 2 cushions per month. Even if I don't think I need one, I get 2 nasal cushions each month. I do the same with my filters. With my nasal mask, and with the FFM when I used it, I found that when I changed the cushion each month, it helped a lot, especially if you use your machine a lot (not just when you sleep at night but naps). Sometimes, people have fragmented sleep or wake up for various reasons a lot and the more you use your mask, it is likely to need replacing more than every 3 months. As always, YMMV.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Me50, If I can find where to get them cheap enough I will gladly buy more. I was getting charged $60 dollars per cushion replacement. The insurance would only cover one every three months. I have been paying that out of pocket.
Do you have a supplier that has a reasonable enough price? I would be grateful to know. Thanks. I do get right at two weeks of optimal use out of these.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Peter C, I do not know why they set the pressure so high or required the auto to be turned off.
I was not knowledgeable and did not have this resource even though I looked hard at what I could find on the internet.

I can honestly say that I was extremely frustrated. I was also exhausted to the bone. I really tried to get them to change things. It was like hitting a wall of inflexibility. Like I say I was not knowledgeable but I knew that things were not right for me. In one great push I forced them to add the flex function that helped a tiny bit. It is not like I am a passive person. There was a lot of squawking on my part.
Then of course came the time in there I started being treated like I was mentally ill. Believe me you know it when people start getting that going. I addressed it straight on too. It was one weird experience. Kind of a toxic triad of things. Malfunctioning machine, doctor, DME and me of course there because I was malfunctioning make it a quad. Oh-jeez

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-10-2014, 04:49 AM)goodonya Wrote: Hi Me50, If I can find where to get them cheap enough I will gladly buy more. I was getting charged $60 dollars per cushion replacement. The insurance would only cover one every three months. I have been paying that out of pocket.
Do you have a supplier that has a reasonable enough price? I would be grateful to know. Thanks. I do get right at two weeks of optimal use out of these.

I don't know what insurance company you have but here is a link to the guidelines of what insurance companies are supposed to follow on CPAP supplies (page 6).

http://www.healthcare.philips.com/pwc_hc..._Hints.pdf

as an example: my insurance paid $39.07 to the DME for my cushion at 100% of the contracted price. If my insurance (or yours) required me to pay a % of it, I would have paid 20% of the $39.07 which would be less than $8 per month. I don't know what % your portion is but it seems $60 is awfully high. Is it your DME that told you your insurance would only pay to replace your cushion every 3 months? Apria (who I am no longer using for a lot of reasons, the main one being I got tired of the multiple errors and not processing my orders and the amount of time I have spent correcting errors in a 5 month period) told me that too because they didn't know or it made it easier for them but, that information is not correct. Cushions can be replaced every month. Some do it, some don't and I think those that don't are because they don't have insurance or they have limited incomes and don't do it. I was looking at one of the suppliers listed on this forum and paying full price for a Quattro FX cushion would be $54 so why you have been paying $60 with insurance is something I don't understand. Maybe you can explain what your insurance company and your DME told you.

I think I know what you are talking about in reference to every 3 months. Every 3 months, you can get a new full face mask that is the frame and the cushion. BUT, in between, you can get what they call the face mask interface (or nasal or pillows interface) monthly. So in January you get a new full face mask and in February and March you get the cushion only for the full face mask. In April you can get another full face mask and in May and June you can get the cushion only. hope this makes sense and helps you.

Post Reply Post Reply
The whole ongoing business of masks etc. was in the beginning something that looked like a tsunami of bs. My insurance plan though had a schedule of ffm every three months and hose every six and new reservoir for the humidifier and so on. I had a copay of 20% but the plan is a self funded plan by my craft union. When my plan pays for something it is basically me and my fellow craftsmen paying for it. Very expensive plan. The DME as near as I could tell charged at the top possible rate.
As my whole situation fell apart the cognitive function that I had left was also effected. I frankly did not sort out the difference between the insurance schedule and the fact that I was no longer on an insurance schedule and self paying. I was still paying that same top price.
I am now going to run my own sleep therapy and I will order the masks I need.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I can certainly understand your desire on focusing forward only at this point~! I will say that a *good* sleep Doc is going to listen to what you have to say at least as much as what the data has to say. The goal here is to improve your sleep quality while keeping your O2 stats at an acceptable level. I am the first to say I know nothing about 'CSA', the the same rules apply, good quality sleep, and good O2 stats. If a pressure is set so high that you cannot sleep with it, what good is it?

I am happy to see your prescription on the other thread, as that looks to be one that should be much easier to get used to. If you haven't done so already, you may wish to contact some of the vendors listed on our vendor list, as prices can vary a fair bit.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,231 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 511 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,322 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 394 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 445 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
Angry [Health] I have to tighten my mask so badly that my face gets puffy... CantSleepWell 10 594 02-11-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Neck, face pain relef/exercises Weegie 0 168 02-11-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Weegie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.