Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Has anyones blood pressure gone down with CPAP?
Has anyones blood pressure gone down with CPAP?
Just curious if anyone has a story to tell about their blood pressure before CPAP and after and if it improved? Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Has anyones blood pressure gone down with CPAP?
it's too soon for me to be certain, just been sucking air for about a month now, but it does appear to be trending down. My primary care doc is the one who referred me for the sleep study based on how poorly my bp responded to meds. It had been 150/98 ish while taking a betablocker and losartan with hct. its currently 134/86. I recently also changed thyroid replacement dosage, though - dialed it back 37mcg - apparently you need less as you age and I had been having hyperthyroid symptoms. TSH levels warranted taking it down a notch. This could certainly also have affected my BP negatively, for sure. I made a lot of changes all at once Confused
Post Reply Post Reply
I was told by one cardiologist that he could not get my BP down lower unless I went on CPAP.
(I didn't have much respect for him; as he couldn't tell V-tach from A-fib if it bit him on the ---)

I went back to a top-shelf interventional cardiologist whom I would give the highest marks to.
As a result of not using CPAP years ago, I have V-tach runs, Sinus Pauses, and Sick Sinus Syndrome.
I've asked him to implant a a pacer/defib; but he won't agree to it at this time.

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep uncontrollable very high BP on 4 different BP meds for years now controlled on one BP med at 124 over 70. Took all of a little less than a month to get there.
Post Reply Post Reply
Long story made short as possible:

I have high blood pressure and was first diagnosed when I was 16. Put on medication when I was 21. Medication keeps it fairly controlled although once I started CPAP, it became easier and responded faster to medication changes. It does not take much to raise my blood pressure (heat especially raises it) although my current medication (Toporol) is doing an excellent job as well as control my heart rate. It used to be way up over 100bpm resting so doing anything made it skyrocket. Now it is 70s resting which gives me more room.

Five or so years ago, my BP spiked dangerously high. They were concerned I would have a stroke. Had a stress test which led to heart cath which was clean. Heart doc sent me to my sleep doc (first time I had seen him in four years). He sent me home with a recording oximeter. He then raised my CPAP pressure two points. Yes, two points at once. Blood pressure dropped dramatically and has remained well controlled since then. (and this, friends and family, is why we push for data capable machines. Had I had one at that time, I could have been spared all those weeks of worry and concern and high priced, frightening tests)

I splurged two years ago and got an Omron 10+ (BP791IT). I need accuracy and reliability. Omron has calibration checks which I like. And this one plugs into my computer so I can download the info.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
good to know thanks for the replies
Post Reply Post Reply
That's young to be dx'ed with HBP. I too take Metoprolol. It does more to control rate than to reduce BP. In my case is helps control arrhythmia. I like Omron meters -- I have two. The ones with the preformed cuff don't work for me -- I need 3 hands to get the cuff on.
I'll take a look at the Omron 10+ (BP791IT) -- I know my doc would appreciate a data capable BP monitor.
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Not many forms of high bp can be cured by CPAP usage, although it can help to diminish the severity in cases related to apnoea. Most types will require medication of some form or other, and all require life-style changes to see any results.
Post Reply Post Reply
The assumption is my hypertension is caused by the Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome. Nothing else has ever altered it. Salt reduction, weight loss, this diet, that diet, etc. Kidneys are fine, too.

CPAP didn't cure it but it is like a secondary medication.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-15-2014, 02:13 PM)DocWils Wrote: Not many forms of high bp can be cured by CPAP usage, although it can help to diminish the severity in cases related to apnoea. Most types will require medication of some form or other, and all require life-style changes to see any results.

I like the medicalese of idiopathic or essential hypertension.
It's code for: I have no idea what the cause is. Dielaughing
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] What Cpap pressure should I use? uarspatient2023 1 237 03-02-2024, 12:56 AM
Last Post: Expat31
Question [Equipment] Apnea index, blood pressure, pulse and SpO2 stier52r043 0 229 02-25-2024, 11:49 AM
Last Post: stier52r043
  [Pressure] Help interpreting low AHI after reducing CPAP pressure? grrrrr 2 277 02-21-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: grrrrr
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 448 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Dizziness and ear pressure/fullness after using cpap dizzy1 0 181 02-10-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: dizzy1
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 404 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Questions about CPAP pressure algorithms about apnea charlie4691 5 580 12-27-2023, 11:43 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.